Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maurizio Troso
  1. Windows Central Question
    Windows Central Question's Avatar
    Guest
       #1  
    I have a Microsoft Lumia 950 with the following Settings:
    1. Settings>System>Notifications&Infos>Outlook-Mail-App (on)
    2. Outlook-Mail>...>Settings>Notifications>PlaySound (checked)

    I get no Sound but only a visual notification on the lock Screen. If I check "Show notification banner" & "Play Sound" I get a Sound and a notification banner but there is no more visual notification on the lock Screen.

    Odd.

    Any help/Solutions?
  2. Maurizio Troso's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,695 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Windows Central Question View Post
    I have a Microsoft Lumia 950 with the following Settings:
    1. Settings>System>Notifications&Infos>Outlook-Mail-App (on)
    2. Outlook-Mail>...>Settings>Notifications>PlaySound (checked)

    I get no Sound but only a visual notification on the lock Screen. If I check "Show notification banner" & "Play Sound" I get a Sound and a notification banner but there is no more visual notification on the lock Screen.

    Odd.

    Any help/Solutions?
    In Lockscreen settings, add Outlook on the tray icons.

    In Nofies settings, remove check in Keep private in lockscreen
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
  3. Dennis LOH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I have been using a 950 dual sim since May 23. Charger was faulty so they replaced a new one for me. It does get hot a fair bit if you use it for too long. Battery usage sucks initially but after some tinkering with how to save some juice & now is OK. I have updated to the latest firmware. Everything works incl "double tap." Lately I have noticed that SMS received does not alert sound notification & does not show in the notification drawer. I have tried soft resetting numerous time but to no avail. All notification settings are in order. I can get notifications in WhatsApp though. I have sent the phone in for reformatting & see how it goes. All in all I'm quite happy with the phone. Much much better than the 930 battery wise. I can't even get it through a day without recharging. Still keeping my 1020 because of the camera but I'm not using it because the hardware is obsolete - slow & battery does not last too.
    Cheers mate!
  4. Tiiger88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I had same problem, but i figured out how to enable the notification sound. Sad side is that i just can't remember how :( But my glance screen is set up so that i see, when i received a new email.
  5. David Shields1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Just bought new 950XL. Email, Text Messaging all work find but no alerts when new email, messages arrive. Notification centre doesn't update. Outlook icon doesn't updated to show how many unread emails there are. On my previous Windows 8.1 phone, this all worked fine but using Windows 10 on new 950XL, doesn't. Have viewed tons of forums, communications and after following recommendations, advice, all to no avail. Is there a limitation to Windows 10 which is preventing notifcation centre being updated and Outlook icon showing number of unread email?
  6. SammyD97's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    525 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by David Shields1 View Post
    Just bought new 950XL. Email, Text Messaging all work find but no alerts when new email, messages arrive. Notification centre doesn't update. Outlook icon doesn't updated to show how many unread emails there are. On my previous Windows 8.1 phone, this all worked fine but using Windows 10 on new 950XL, doesn't. Have viewed tons of forums, communications and after following recommendations, advice, all to no avail. Is there a limitation to Windows 10 which is preventing notifcation centre being updated and Outlook icon showing number of unread email?

    1. Check that outlook mail is allowed in the background
    2. Check in the action center settings that notifications for outlook are enabled.
    Settings➡ System➡ Notifications and Actions➡ Outlook Mail and Calender

    3. Check in the email app that notifications are enabled
    Outlook Mail➡ Settings➡ Notifications. Then toggle "show notifications in the action centre". Check "Show notification banner" and Play a sound
  7. David Shields1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Thank you Sammy. I've confirmed that steps 2 and 3 are configured as stated.

    Step 2. Clicking on Outlook it brings up Notification On, Show Notifications Banner On, Show Notifications in Action Centre On... Keep Notifications Private on the Lock Screen Off.

    Step 3. Outlook Notifications - Show Notifications in Action Centre On, Show a Notification Banner Ticked, PLay a Sound Ticked, Show Notifications for Folders Pinned to Start Ticked.

    Regarding Step 1 - I'm unsure what this means "Outlook mail is allowed in background".

    Further info:

    On occasions when opening Outlook and an email then just arrives and I get a vibrate sound and a message appear at the top of the display, external to Outlook but Outlook icon doesn't update with number of unread emails.

    Thanks for your swift response earlier.

    Regards.

    Dave.
  8. SammyD97's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    525 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by David Shields1 View Post
    Thank you Sammy. I've confirmed that steps 2 and 3 are configured as stated.

    Step 2. Clicking on Outlook it brings up Notification On, Show Notifications Banner On, Show Notifications in Action Centre On... Keep Notifications Private on the Lock Screen Off.

    Step 3. Outlook Notifications - Show Notifications in Action Centre On, Show a Notification Banner Ticked, PLay a Sound Ticked, Show Notifications for Folders Pinned to Start Ticked.

    Regarding Step 1 - I'm unsure what this means "Outlook mail is allowed in background".

    Further info:

    On occasions when opening Outlook and an email then just arrives and I get a vibrate sound and a message appear at the top of the display, external to Outlook but Outlook icon doesn't update with number of unread emails.

    Thanks for your swift response earlier.

    Regards.

    Dave.
    For step 1 you'll find the setting in settings ➡ System ➡ Battery ➡ Battery Usage by app, then scroll down to Mail and calender. Tap on it and the following settings should appear:


    Always allowed in Background
    Managed by Windows
    Never allowed in background.

    Select either the first or second option if the last is selected. If that doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas.
  9. David Shields1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    WHAT A STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you Sammy.... perfect. I changed to always allowed in background for both email and messaging and now icons updated and I get messages in notification centre. Perfect. Wonderful, after so many days trying to fix this. Wow! Brilliant

Similar Threads

  1. Why must I restart to retrieve internet and sounds?
    By Windows Central Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
  2. i am having problem connecting my phone to my pc
    By Windows Central Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM
  3. i am having problem connecting my phone to my pc
    By Windows Central Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 09:41 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 04:30 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 03:46 AM

Posting Permissions

";