SMS / Text Messaging Problems On Fast Ring 950

TJ1616

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Are those of you with Lumia 950s (AT&T) on the Insider Fast Ring having problems with messaging? This has actually been a problem as long as I've had the phone (since launch) -- I only now bothered to register and post this.

The messaging app is very laggy. I'm pretty much incapable of having a back-and-forth text interaction with someone because most of the time when I hit the send button, the app hangs.... and hangs... and won't let me type. Sometimes it's 60 seconds before the message registers as sent and I'm able to begin typing my next message.

I keep expecting this to be resolved in the frequent OS updates, but it's always the same. It's a minor thing, but a huge inconvenience if you need to quickly send information to someone.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
download WDRT > WIPE THE PHONE > dont restore from backup, start fresh > let it download and update all base apps FIRST > install other apps

If you are on fast ring, sigh..., expect it to be buggy. Damn buggy. Terms and conditions of the Insider program state this. Appreciate the post here, but please keep in mind this isnt Microsoft. You need to register issues with the Feedback Hub as well. THAT is the true forum for Insiders to use. Hope this helps. Also, keep in mind that whether its a clean install or restore, it will be a shaky 48hrs or so as it downloads all your emails, texts, etc. A clean install will still restore texts/mms.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
My 950 has been on the Fast Ring for months and I have not experienced the Messaging issues you described here.
To go forward with Allen Rhodes' comment, have you ever done a hard reset? More specifically, a hard reset without restoring from backup?

TJ1616

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'll definitely give it a try.

I understand insider releases aren't fully baked. I just find it odd that on this particular hardware I've never had a good messaging experience from day 1. I've reset before and never restore from backups. Will see if this works.

Also -- I've provided feedback on the issue in the feedback hub. Just finally decided I couldn't be the only one dealing with this so wanted to see if others out there had noticed it too.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had an ATT 950 for a week. I updated to the AU as soon as I got it. No issues with texting for me.

Did you get a new SIM card when you got your phone? If not, maybe that is part of the problem (or make sure that the SIM card is properly seated).

TJ1616

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to circle back on this issue. I wiped via WDRT and started clean. The problem has gone away. Note that I had "all" messages restored to phone on previous install. I think it goes without saying that having many (many) sms and mms messages will reduce performance. This time around, I only downloaded 1 month's worth of messages. I'm off the fast ring temporarily, but I doubt this was at all related to preview builds. More likely performance issues related to too many messages in storage and accumulated digital crap from not wiping in a long, long time.

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had any problems with messaging. The only problems I have been having are. the call forwarding feature still doesn't work and I can't get any of my TVs to pair with it. I use to be able to do both of these. I am a fast ring insider running the lastest build 144926 . I have a new 950 XL coming in tomorrow and I am considering not running the Insider program on that phone as it will be my daily driver.

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had any problems with messaging. The only problems I have been having are. the call forwarding feature still doesn't work and I can't get any of my TVs to pair with it. I use to be able to do both of these. I am a fast ring insider running the lastest build 144926 . I have a new 950 XL coming in tomorrow and I am considering not running the Insider program on that phone as it will be my daily driver.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre