To buy or not to buy?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
So I own 640 XL for about 6 months but the price of the Lumia 950 dropped even in my country to about 300?. I am quite tempted to buy the phone for that price, my only concern is the stock - do you guys think that the stock will last until December?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking this as well and have just decided to go ahead and get the 950 for my wife as an Xmas pressie but buy it now with the free display dock whilst the going is good and stock hasn't run out, but its your call, how much do you like to gamble ?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So I own 640 XL for about 6 months but the price of the Lumia 950 dropped even in my country to about 300€. I am quite tempted to buy the phone for that price, my only concern is the stock - do you guys think that the stock will last until December?

If it goes any lower, it may be by about 10-20Euros, not much more than that. And the stock isn't expected to last long - I would say until Mid year next year in some countries - the big ones will have theirs finishing faster of course like UK or Germany

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If it goes any lower, it may be by about 10-20Euros, not much more than that. And the stock isn't expected to last long - I would say until Mid year next year in some countries - the big ones will have theirs finishing faster of course like UK or Germany
I am sort of forced to wait until December so I'll just hope the store I am looking to buy the phone from will have it in stock. Last time when I was there (a few days after MS has cut the prices) they said they were out of stock. Even if I believe not many people are going to buy the phone here I'm still concerned a little, worst case scenario would probably be to go with a second hand 950 or order it from MS store directly.

City Guy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I'm very close to purchasing a Lumia 950. Currently here in the USA with my student discount I can purchase the 950 at the Microsoft store for $359.00 US Dollars. Since I'm about ready to modify my iPhone 6 with a 16 lb sledge hammer, I may make the purchase Monday after work at the Palo Alto, CA Microsoft store. I'm very intrigued with the idea of having Windows 10 on a mobile phone. Win 10 makes the iOS operating system look very outdated. Edge, Cortana, expandable storage, etc. etc. And I personally find Cortana EXTREMELY useful.

But my question is, are the Lumia line of phones really being discontinued? If so, why are they still available. I do have some hesitation about purchasing a soon to be discontinued phone. And of course, the possibility of waiting for the rumored Surface phone is a possibility (if the Surface phone ever is available). However, I'm fairly certain that if the Surface phone becomes available, it will most likely be out of my price range.

Any comments, advice and suggestions encouraged and appreciated.

Thank you kindly

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I would definitely recommend a 950 to anyone. I have had one since the release. I did use it as my daily driver for a few months but went back to my Note 5. I did prefer the windows 10 OS to android I just couldn't get use to the size. I did however just switch to a 950 XL as my daily driver and am in love with this phone. Best of both worlds.Phablet size and windows. It is little faster than the 950 but not by much. If you do go with a 950 I would also reccomend the insider program. If your looking for a deal on a 950 XL B&H photo has duel sim RM-1116 white on sale for $399.99 add a continuum dock for another $59 and free shipping.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I do not under any circumstance recommend a Lumia 950, other than using one as a paperweight or to prop up the leg of a wobbly table. Not today, not tomorrow, NEVER. Don't make the same mistake I did. :cry:

My experience with this device has been terrible, full stop. My first one was so troublesome AT&T had to swap it out for a "refurbished" model, which is really no better. Not a day goes by where I do not contemplate smashing it to pieces, throwing it against a wall or running it over with my car, it's that unreliable, sluggish and overheated (you could practically cook eggs on the back it runs so hot).

Here's a for-instance that underscores my frustration. A coworker has a two-plus-year-old iPhone 6 that literally does everything better than my 950. It provides better battery life, has a brighter screen, never even gets warm to the touch, has a camera that's orders of magnitude faster and it even loads web pages quicker over both WiFi and AT&T cellular data (pulling up the same page, the Apple device wins. Every. Single. Time.). What exactly is the W10M advantage? The built-in apps that crash? Syncing errors? The need to hard-reset the device after every software update? I'm not sure.

If you've been eyeing an 950 and the price is right you're still probably going to get one, and if that's the case I wish you the best of luck, really I do, but you've been warned. :smile:

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I have had one since release and absolutely love it........it was a little rough in the beginning, but is rock solid for me now. some people seem to have a bad time with the 950/XL for some reason, but I have had a very good experience with mine so far, and have actually had far fewer issues with it than I had with my Galaxy Note 4.

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I got mine 10 days ago for 299 ? and I think that it is a very solid phone for that price. It runs on AU without any problems, perfect dual sim and photo quality. I use it at work and at home. As the stock is running out in some countries I would recommend to buy it right now and not wait too long.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Not a day goes by where I do not contemplate smashing it to pieces, throwing it against a wall or running it over with my car, it's that unreliable, sluggish and overheated (you could practically cook eggs on the back it runs so hot).

This cracked me up. I'm afraid running it over with your car wouldn't get the job done. Lumia 520 and 920 survived those. A bus or a tank might.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I'm very close to purchasing a Lumia 950. Currently here in the USA with my student discount I can purchase the 950 at the Microsoft store for $359.00 US Dollars. Since I'm about ready to modify my iPhone 6 with a 16 lb sledge hammer, I may make the purchase Monday after work at the Palo Alto, CA Microsoft store. I'm very intrigued with the idea of having Windows 10 on a mobile phone. Win 10 makes the iOS operating system look very outdated. Edge, Cortana, expandable storage, etc. etc. And I personally find Cortana EXTREMELY useful.

But my question is, are the Lumia line of phones really being discontinued? If so, why are they still available. I do have some hesitation about purchasing a soon to be discontinued phone. And of course, the possibility of waiting for the rumored Surface phone is a possibility (if the Surface phone ever is available). However, I'm fairly certain that if the Surface phone becomes available, it will most likely be out of my price range.

Any comments, advice and suggestions encouraged and appreciated.

Thank you kindly

in simple terms, the factory isn't manufacturing them anymore since doing a new batch of phones might not sell completely. I work in a factory and there has to be a minimum order in place for the factory to produce a certain amount. No factory will produce 1000 phones which can take a month to sell -they rather manufacture maybe 100000 phones which they already know there is demand. So the 950 production line is being stopped since the rate if sale has gone very low.

The surface phone is a long way away, months or even a year.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I do not under any circumstance recommend a Lumia 950, other than using one as a paperweight or to prop up the leg of a wobbly table. Not today, not tomorrow, NEVER. Don't make the same mistake I did. :cry:

My experience with this device has been terrible, full stop. My first one was so troublesome AT&T had to swap it out for a "refurbished" model, which is really no better. Not a day goes by where I do not contemplate smashing it to pieces, throwing it against a wall or running it over with my car, it's that unreliable, sluggish and overheated (you could practically cook eggs on the back it runs so hot).

Here's a for-instance that underscores my frustration. A coworker has a two-plus-year-old iPhone 6 that literally does everything better than my 950. It provides better battery life, has a brighter screen, never even gets warm to the touch, has a camera that's orders of magnitude faster and it even loads web pages quicker over both WiFi and AT&T cellular data (pulling up the same page, the Apple device wins. Every. Single. Time.). What exactly is the W10M advantage? The built-in apps that crash? Syncing errors? The need to hard-reset the device after every software update? I'm not sure.

If you've been eyeing an 950 and the price is right you're still probably going to get one, and if that's the case I wish you the best of luck, really I do, but you've been warned. :smile:

I have had one since release and absolutely love it........it was a little rough in the beginning, but is rock solid for me now. some people seem to have a bad time with the 950/XL for some reason, but I have had a very good experience with mine so far, and have actually had far fewer issues with it than I had with my Galaxy Note 4.

I got mine 10 days ago for 299 € and I think that it is a very solid phone for that price. It runs on AU without any problems, perfect dual sim and photo quality. I use it at work and at home. As the stock is running out in some countries I would recommend to buy it right now and not wait too long.

There always has to be users with completely opposite use cases for the same device and you wonder how and why? :grincry:

City Guy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I will take a look at the 950 tomorrow after work.

However, it is interesting to note that some Lumia purchasers have received units which appear to be highly unsatisfactory. This is somewhat difficult to understand since modern manufacturing technology and quality management systems should ensure a consistent product. It certainly does appear that some punchers have received Lumias that are defective most likely due to internal components that did not meet the specifications.

Perhaps Microsoft has made a decision to no longer manufacture Windows phones, which would be unfortunate since the operating system may be superior to what is currently being offered by other manufacturers.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
This cracked me up. I'm afraid running it over with your car wouldn't get the job done. Lumia 520 and 920 survived those. A bus or a tank might.

Ain't that the truth! If Lumias have one thing going for them it's durability. :)

Hi all,

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I will take a look at the 950 tomorrow after work.

However, it is interesting to note that some Lumia purchasers have received units which appear to be highly unsatisfactory. This is somewhat difficult to understand since modern manufacturing technology and quality management systems should ensure a consistent product. It certainly does appear that some punchers have received Lumias that are defective most likely due to internal components that did not meet the specifications.

Perhaps Microsoft has made a decision to no longer manufacture Windows phones, which would be unfortunate since the operating system may be superior to what is currently being offered by other manufacturers.

I find it tough to believe defective hardware would be causing a such a wide variety of issues with people's phones, though to be honest, I'm absolutely no computer expert. To me it seems slapdash, inadequately tested software would be the real problem, which W10M CERTAINLY was when it launched. For me, things are merely awful right now, the 950 was unusable seven or eight months ago when I got my first example.

Interesting you say W10M is superior to other mobile operating systems out there. I have zero experience with Android, and frankly, I don't want any as it looks like a confusing mess, but compared to iOS 9 (I think that's what my friend's phone is running) W10M is demonstratively inferior in nearly every worthwhile way, from speed and reliability, to smoothness and camera performance (from what I've seen).

IMO, W10M suffers from a lack of testing, a lack of resources and perhaps most glaring of all, a complete lack of direction.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Interesting you say W10M is superior to other mobile operating systems out there. I have zero experience with Android, and frankly, I don't want any as it looks like a confusing mess, but compared to iOS 9 (I think that's what my friend's phone is running) W10M is demonstratively inferior in nearly every worthwhile way, from speed and reliability, to smoothness and camera performance (from what I've seen).
My friend has iOS 9 running too on his iPhone and from what I have seen the photos he takes with his iPhone aren't even as half as good as the ones I take with my 640 XL (nowhere near 950 as well I believe). We could argue about speed as apps on the iPhone are not the same as apps on Windows 10 Mobile as they have shorter animations on boot up and are more polished as they (most likely) exist for more time and developers focused on them more I believe. It is true that iOS has far more apps and games than we have on Windows 10 Mobile, but I'd say that everyone knows which system works the best for themselves (I'd feel very dumb for paying 800€ for a phone as I can get a decent PC for that price).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

whether MS manufactures phones or not should not affect the development of the mobile version of windows 10 - other manufacturers are still running windows 10 mobile on their devices like HP, Nuans, Alcatel, Acer etc

City Guy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Greetings,

Yesterday I went to the Microsoft store and purchased the Lumia 950 (unlocked version). Stayed in the store for a while to fully charge the battery and then let the 950 install the latest updates.

WOW,,,, so far (less than 24 hours) I'm very impressed. Everything synced to my Microsoft account perfectly. I used the sim card from my other phone and everything worked fine with ATT.

I spent some time with the settings but do have two questions.

1. How do I turn off the live tiles?

2. For some reason my Edge favorites have not synced, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss