Goodbye Lumia 950...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to Lord, I found out this thread before making an attempt to purchase Microsoft's latest Lumia phone. I have always used Android phones and now that I am thinking to switch Android to Lumia, you got me stumped out of that idea huh :straight:
Tbh it would probably be best to look for a deal and then buy the phone so you can give it a test run 🙂

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I also have had the issue with missing attachements.

Having had a 925 & 640 I splashed out on a 950 plus wireless charging plate, case, microSD card.
As an actual phone, its OK, although cellular reception seemed a bit weak. Email, calendar, contacts and camera were all good - reasonably straightforward and simple which appeals to me. Battery life: meh, but fast and/or wireless charging helped a lot. Size and weight suited me, and the screen was fine. There were a few unique features I really liked such as the Start screen, Glance, and Cortana reading my texts out in the car.

Fast forward a couple of months and the 950 is in the drawer gathering dust and I'm back using the Note 4 (never use the stylus BTW). Too many of the W10M apps are just terrible. The animation flipping between apps and Start really began to irritate after a while.

Since the Note 4 got Android 6 and I spent some considerable time tweaking it, it is streets ahead of the 950 in almost every department - speed, battery life, apps - both choice and quality. The Note 4 is a bit big and heavy, but otherwise it suits my needs a lot better.

I'd love W10M to be a wholly viable choice in the market, but on the 950 I don't think it is :(

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I have a 950 and a 950XL. I used the 950 for roughly 10 months, I really had minimal issues with it; but admittedly there were some "wtf moments". After so many OS updates and things definitely improving, I decided to spring for the 950XL and see if I notice any difference. The little nuances I experienced with the 950 don't exist with the 950XL. It's very strange. Granted, slightly different hardware, but no app crashes (for the most part), and the phone works perfectly for my intended uses. It's been so flawless, I even thought about buying a second one strictly for backup purposes -- but then I saw HP potentially has a new "consumer phone" coming out in Feb 2017 with Glance, double-tap, etc. So I'm ever hopeful this actually happens. I've been very very pleased with my 950XL thus far.

Cheapest price on a 950XL I can find so far:
https://www.onedigitals.com/products/microsoft-lumia-950-xl-32gb-4g-lte-black-unlocked#

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yah the 950xl the processing is much quicker because of the 810 chip so you can send it pretty much right away. My guess is the small amount of lag makes a big difference with the 950.

Turning off HDR may speed it up to. HDR takes lots of different images, picks the best one and then lets you use a slider to select one you may like better.

Skywalker70

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody have issues with the syncing of the Yahoo mail accounts over 4G connection? Every time the app says that the account settings are out of date. When on wifi everything seems to be normal. I have two Lumia's, the 930 and the 950 and both seems to have the same problem, so I think this is an OS or App flaw. (Tried to fix this on every OS version from 10586 to the latest preview). I hope somebody will illuminate me :unhappy:
P.S. The Yahoo accounts are set to accept third party apps with minimal security settings.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
On the Yahoo issue; I've seen it, but it got solved by a restart of the phone. I think it's an account / sign-in issue or something.

But, having said that, I'm in favor of ditching Yahoo after the massive security breach a year or so ago. No that others aren't vulnerable, but 500 million accounts hacked?....

Chazzy J

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody have issues with the syncing of the Yahoo mail accounts over 4G connection? Every time the app says that the account settings are out of date. When on wifi everything seems to be normal. I have two Lumia's, the 930 and the 950 and both seems to have the same problem, so I think this is an OS or App flaw. (Tried to fix this on every OS version from 10586 to the latest preview). I hope somebody will illuminate me :unhappy:
P.S. The Yahoo accounts are set to accept third party apps with minimal security settings.

Sorry, no problems with my yahoo account. Works and syncs fine

John Christopoulos

May 9, 2014
Visit site
He was simply stating a fact :) and OP responded to his statement without being offended

Ok now it is all clear to me, since your response was deleted from this thread, I really have an opinion of my own, and people will judge.
I will not bother anymore since I don`t have outlook mail. Being a reader of peoples problems in this forum though, I hate reading responses like the one you gave -;
And please, no hard feelings on my behalf!!!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok now it is all clear to me, since your response was deleted from this thread, I really have an opinion of my own, and people will judge.
I will not bother anymore since I don`t have outlook mail. Being a reader of peoples problems in this forum though, I hate reading responses like the one you gave -;
And please, no hard feelings on my behalf!!!

Actually wrote a response to this but half way through decided that it wasn't worth it :)

If nothing else, your sarcasm game is on point :)

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Not saying that you aren't having the issue you outline here, but out of curiosity I just tried taking a photo and Emailing it to myself. It worked perfectly.

Is it possible you are hitting the "share" button before any HDR processing has completed? If I don't wait for processing to complete, the photo will not zoom.... and I suspect the file may not be available to attach either?

If you can't see the subtle change in contrast / color as processing completes, just wait maybe 15-30 seconds as a test and then try attaching the file. Or try attaching a previously snapped photo. Not an acceptable solution..... there should be a message like "please wait" over the photo before it is available..... but a temporary workaround if this IS the issue?

Just a thought.....

Paul
Paul, you need to post this fix again, but in FONT SIZE 6. People are gonna go on and on about the issue NEVER having seen your post.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Actually wrote a response to this but half way through decided that it wasn't worth it :)

If nothing else, your sarcasm game is on point :)

As Ven says, I don't think the comment was meant maliciously. I have previously been on the insider builds but honestly can't say I spotted this issue. Maybe it did happen but I didn't realise... It was an interesting point though! I genuinely didn't know this happens on the insider builds.

Anyway, I left the insider rings due to all the bugs (ironic, I know). I reinstalled W10M which took ages with the recovery software. That's when I spotted this issue.

After a little more testing, this does seem to be the issue. The processor must be slightly too slow for the processing of these photos and you have to ensure it has processed before you can send it. I'm going to test it a little bit more and makes decision on what to do. It's a really nice phone - the keyboard and predictive text is fantastic. But as anothe comment said, if Microsoft employees aren't even using these devices it's no wonder these little irritating things occur.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
But as anothe comment said, if Microsoft employees aren't even using these devices it's no wonder these little irritating things occur.

This really makes me laugh when watching the events :p then again, you should use what works for you.

Hope you can live with the lil workaround :)

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Seems with this last build(FR) on my 950, when ever I open anything the phone just shuts off and I have to restart. Its getting pretty irritating to say the least. Open Spotify....shuts down, check FB...shuts down, gaahhh! I've never had this many in a short amount of time. This is a replacement 950 as I dropped my last one while taking my batter out and the phone landed in the back battery side on a jack stand and messed up the lcd and only had a hairline crack on the glass. But starting with a semi new phone this is nuts. I'm surprised it didn't shut down while coming on here.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
im currently considering, ditching my note 5 for a lumia 950. i use my dell windows 10 tablet more and enjoy using it more than the note, im not a heavy app user, apart from spotify and viber. i guess software developers dont support windows phone anymore, but overall is the 950 a good windows phone, last one i had and loved was the 930, live tiles and pin to start i miss.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Seems with this last build(FR) on my 950, when ever I open anything the phone just shuts off and I have to restart. Its getting pretty irritating to say the least. Open Spotify....shuts down, check FB...shuts down, gaahhh! I've never had this many in a short amount of time. This is a replacement 950 as I dropped my last one while taking my batter out and the phone landed in the back battery side on a jack stand and messed up the lcd and only had a hairline crack on the glass. But starting with a semi new phone this is nuts. I'm surprised it didn't shut down while coming on here.

Is it up to date with the official or 'production' version or whatever it's called (not "insider")? When I got my new phone it was with an older firmware/os and it was only after updating it that it would behave.

Also, you've tried restarting the device I guess, yes? And possibly logging out/in?

Lastly, how were the pancakes?

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Again though, on the issue of apps;

A lot of people make a big deal out of the app-gap, but they never take into account how people relate to apps more broadly speaking. Nielsen reported that while app usage has gone up, the amount of apps used per month barely moved from 2012 to 2014. In addition, most users spend most of their time in only 5 apps. A fair amount of apps are either downloaded and never used or downloaded and uninstalled the same day.

So really, I think a lot of this has to do with perception. The perception to a lot of people is that they think they need this vast amount of apps available to them when in fact they still only use a handful regularly, and only a few more intermittently. I've thought about this quite a bit, and I'm still stuck wondering what else I want my phone to do which only exists on Android or iOS. For me, daily usage is;

- check mail
- check messages
- check calendar
- check weather
- use Edge

weekly adds;

- check facebook
- check exercise app
- use Groove Music
- use Wallet
- use One Drive

So I'm literally right on average in terms of app usage, with only about five apps per day, and those apps exist on all platforms. The extended used apps also exist on all platforms. I've had conversations with people about this, where they declare that the platform is dead because there aren't enough apps, and I explain that all of what I want to use is available on W10M, and they try to explain to me that there are apps that I want to use that don't exist.... but they can never tell me exactly what those apps are!

So again, I think there's a disconnect between a general public perception of the apps available and the actual need of the individual. At this point, there would have to be a pretty great app that I'm missing on W10M in order for me to consider giving up the benefits that it offers.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Is it up to date with the official or 'production' version or whatever it's called (not "insider")? When I got my new phone it was with an older firmware/os and it was only after updating it that it would behave.

Also, you've tried restarting the device I guess, yes? And possibly logging out/in?

Lastly, how were the pancakes?
It should be up to date the way I did my other one. Logging in/out of the apps? My pancakes are always awesome, but I meant battery, lawl.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I love pancakes :)

Yeah, I meant logging out of accounts and then logging back in as a solution. It's been suggested before online, although I've always managed to get around the issue by shutting the phone down and then restarting it. I think it's happened maybe 3 times or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa