Would you still buy a L950?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a L650. While I found the design and size to be amazing the performance is really underwhelming. I want something more powerful so I'm considering the move up to a L950.

How do you like yours? Does it run fast? Even if you don't one, is it still with a purchase for under $200 a year after release?

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
The 950 is still a good device. You have 'Hey Cortana' and wireless charging . Double tap to wake/sleep and fairly fast performance. Also the best camera on a Lumia. Lots to like.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The 950 is still a good device. You have 'Hey Cortana' and wireless charging . Double tap to wake/sleep and fairly fast performance. Also the best camera on a Lumia. Lots to like.

What do u consider "fast" performance? Is it faster than a 1520? Do things like FB take a while to load?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Thurrott says no
Before getting to the pricing, my advice remains unchanged: None of these phones will provide a satisfying smartphone experience in late 2016 or have any meaningful longevity. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL, in particular, are lackluster smartphones and should be avoided. The Lumia 650 is a thin, light and elegant device, and a sad reminder of what used to be.
On that note, here?s what Microsoft is doing.
We?ve seen this one before, but the price here?$500?is simply too high. Who on earth would spend $500 on Lumia now? You?d be better off putting that money towards an Alcatel IDOL 4S or HP Elite x3 if you simply must have a Windows phone.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/win...t-uses-black-friday-sell-off-remaining-lumias

Sent from mTalk

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite pleased with my 950. I moved to it over the summer when my ATT 830 died. I think it's a great phone, runs the current version of the OS quite well. I don't give a damn that Thurrot says I shouldn't like it.

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Who is he and why do I need him to tell me what I like or don't like? 😉

Sent from mTalk
Thurrott was at one time a good source of Windows info. But about a year ago, he started going off the rails. His opinions are either black or white, with no shades of gray. And anyone who doesn't agree with him is regarded with contempt.

This quote from the article is typical: "my advice remains unchanged: None of these phones will provide a satisfying smartphone experience in late 2016 or have any meaningful longevity. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL, in particular, are lackluster smartphones and should be avoided." Strangely, even though Thurrott says It's impossible, many of us think the 950's are well designed, and mine is providing me a very meaningful smartphone experience in late 2016!

I suggest reading Windows Central and AAWP Insight instead.

Sent from my T300 Chi using mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I had one, and the hardware was solid, but the battery life left a lot to be desired for me. If you can find a good deal, I would strongly suggest trying it.

Funny that you mention that about the 650, I just got one of those and I'm trying it out for a bit. In case I don't like it, I'll probably consider trying the 950 (again). Not a fan of big phones.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by libra89
I had one, and the hardware was solid, but the battery life left a lot to be desired for me. If you can find a good deal, I would strongly suggest trying it.

Funny that you mention that about the 650, I just got one of those and I'm trying it out for a bit. In case I don't like it, I'll probably consider trying the 950 (again). Not a fan of big phones.

The 950 isn't as big as you would think. Screen 5.2 vs Lumia 650 5.0. So you will be fine. I upgraded from a Lumia 640.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 950 isn't as big as you would think. Screen 5.2 vs Lumia 650 5.0. So you will be fine. I upgraded from a Lumia 640.
Yeah, it isn't as big thankfully.

I should have clarified but what I meant by that statement is that all of the other "new" phones that have come out have all been big to me (the Elite x3, Idol 4s, really, but even the Jade Primo if we really want to include that).

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I would have bought a 950or Xl as a second device if MS had cut the prices for Black Friday instead of doing the BOGO. I think they still have a lot to offer.

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a L650. While I found the design and size to be amazing the performance is really underwhelming. I want something more powerful so I'm considering the move up to a L950.

How do you like yours? Does it run fast? Even if you don't one, is it still with a purchase for under $200 a year after release?

I've had a Lumia 950 for 6 months, and love it! Running the W10M Release Preview ring, this phone has been responsive and reliable. Beautiful hi-res AMOLED screen, double tap wake/sleep, great camera, rapid charging - I'm very pleased. I even use the Iris Scanning lock with good success.

And I'm not a ******, blinded to other options. I own, and occasionally use a Nexus 5X, which costs about the same as the 950, and uses the same Qualcomm 808. The Nexus is inferior, in my opinion, in most comparisons. Android feels laggy, rubbery, even on a modern phone. Battery life is worse than the 950, although only by 20% or so. The 5X excels in only two areas, from my perspective: the fingerprint scanner is faster than the 950's Iris scanner. And of course, any app you can dream of is available in the Play Store.

I like my 950 so much, I ordered the BOGO deal yesterday. The new 950 will be for my wife, who has enjoyed her Lumia 830 for a couple of years. I'll probably sell the XL, but who knows?

Sent from mTalk

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

To answer your question: Yes, I'd still buy one if the price was right. It was right when I bought it not too long ago, at around $350 or so (I can't remember exactly) with a dock.

I upgraded from an "old" LG G2X (sold by T-Mobile in the US) and it was really night and day. It's faster in every way and does far more things than that phone. The G2X started deteriorating (performance) pretty quickly after I got it, so I'm hoping and guessing this phone won't do the same. If you're already on Windows 10 Mobile and like it then I don't see how getting a 950 at a good price can be a bad thing.

All the people criticizing Win 10 Mobile are using mostly nonsensical arguments that I either disagree on the basis of their facts being wrong, or because they fail to see a larger context. To me, the 950 and Win 10 Mobile is a nice blend of a work device and a more 'consumer' device. It's an unlocked device so I can take it wherever I want, with dual SIM, at a good price, with continuum and a dock. I have all the apps that I actually need on it, and a lot of what I want. I honestly can't think of a single app I really want that isn't available.

So again, 'yes', I'd buy it.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I am keeping my 950 until a surface phone or phone with x86 capability shows up. Hope to get a year or so from my device, very good phone, buy one asap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb