03-02-2017 11:23 AM
178 123 ...
tools
    I recently bought a L650. While I found the design and size to be amazing the performance is really underwhelming. I want something more powerful so I'm considering the move up to a L950.

How do you like yours? Does it run fast? Even if you don't one, is it still with a purchase for under $200 a year after release?
    ven07 likes this.
    11-24-2016 05:55 PM
    To me, yes. It's not the fastest device, doesn't have all the popular apps, but it does what I need it to do well.
    11-24-2016 06:00 PM
    The 950 is still a good device. You have 'Hey Cortana' and wireless charging . Double tap to wake/sleep and fairly fast performance. Also the best camera on a Lumia. Lots to like.
    11-24-2016 06:44 PM
    The 950 is still a good device. You have 'Hey Cortana' and wireless charging . Double tap to wake/sleep and fairly fast performance. Also the best camera on a Lumia. Lots to like.
    What do u consider "fast" performance? Is it faster than a 1520? Do things like FB take a while to load?
    11-24-2016 06:58 PM
    Thurrott says no
    Before getting to the pricing, my advice remains unchanged: None of these phones will provide a satisfying smartphone experience in late 2016 or have any meaningful longevity. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL, in particular, are lackluster smartphones and should be avoided. The Lumia 650 is a thin, light and elegant device, and a sad reminder of what used to be.
    On that note, heres what Microsoft is doing.
    Weve seen this one before, but the price here$500is simply too high. Who on earth would spend $500 on Lumia now? Youd be better off putting that money towards an Alcatel IDOL 4S or HP Elite x3 if you simply must have a Windows phone.
    https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/wind...maining-lumias

Sent from mTalk
    11-24-2016 07:03 PM
    Who is he and why do I need him to tell me what I like or don't like? 😉

Sent from mTalk
    11-24-2016 07:12 PM
    Thurrott .... No idea who he is, just that he posts a bunch of nonsense. Opinions are like you know what...
    11-24-2016 07:45 PM
    I'm quite pleased with my 950. I moved to it over the summer when my ATT 830 died. I think it's a great phone, runs the current version of the OS quite well. I don't give a damn that Thurrot says I shouldn't like it.
    11-24-2016 08:13 PM
    What do u consider "fast" performance? Is it faster than a 1520? Do things like FB take a while to load?
    Fast would be loading web pages and multitasking and opening applications. I don't Facebook so can't really comment.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    11-24-2016 08:37 PM
    Who is he and why do I need him to tell me what I like or don't like? 😉

Sent from mTalk
    Thurrott was at one time a good source of Windows info. But about a year ago, he started going off the rails. His opinions are either black or white, with no shades of gray. And anyone who doesn't agree with him is regarded with contempt.

This quote from the article is typical: "my advice remains unchanged: None of these phones will provide a satisfying smartphone experience in late 2016 or have any meaningful longevity. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL, in particular, are lackluster smartphones and should be avoided." Strangely, even though Thurrott says It's impossible, many of us think the 950's are well designed, and mine is providing me a very meaningful smartphone experience in late 2016!

I suggest reading Windows Central and AAWP Insight instead.

Sent from my T300 Chi using mTalk
    11-24-2016 09:37 PM
    I had one, and the hardware was solid, but the battery life left a lot to be desired for me. If you can find a good deal, I would strongly suggest trying it.

Funny that you mention that about the 650, I just got one of those and I'm trying it out for a bit. In case I don't like it, I'll probably consider trying the 950 (again). Not a fan of big phones.
    11-24-2016 09:52 PM
    Thurrott was at one time a good source of Windows info. But about a year ago, he started going off the rails.
    I suggest reading Windows Central and AAWP Insight instead.
    Windows Central and AAWP are good sources of info and have great podcasts too.
    barotropic likes this.
    11-24-2016 09:58 PM
    Originally posted by libra89
    I had one, and the hardware was solid, but the battery life left a lot to be desired for me. If you can find a good deal, I would strongly suggest trying it.

Funny that you mention that about the 650, I just got one of those and I'm trying it out for a bit. In case I don't like it, I'll probably consider trying the 950 (again). Not a fan of big phones.
    The 950 isn't as big as you would think. Screen 5.2 vs Lumia 650 5.0. So you will be fine. I upgraded from a Lumia 640.
    libra89, aximtreo and rollindice like this.
    11-24-2016 10:08 PM
    The 950 isn't as big as you would think. Screen 5.2 vs Lumia 650 5.0. So you will be fine. I upgraded from a Lumia 640.
    Yeah, it isn't as big thankfully.

I should have clarified but what I meant by that statement is that all of the other "new" phones that have come out have all been big to me (the Elite x3, Idol 4s, really, but even the Jade Primo if we really want to include that).
    11-24-2016 10:58 PM
    I would have bought a 950or Xl as a second device if MS had cut the prices for Black Friday instead of doing the BOGO. I think they still have a lot to offer.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-25-2016 12:08 AM
    No, I would not buy a 950. But if I could get my hands on a second 950XL, I would buy it. I do like the 950XL.
    11-25-2016 07:24 AM
    Just wanted folks to know...
    Todays deal, which most have seen I hope is a 950xl for 499.00, but... plus a free lumia 950 and dock with it...
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=7ihhhBhh
    11-25-2016 08:18 AM
    I recently bought a L650. While I found the design and size to be amazing the performance is really underwhelming. I want something more powerful so I'm considering the move up to a L950.

How do you like yours? Does it run fast? Even if you don't one, is it still with a purchase for under $200 a year after release?
    I've had a Lumia 950 for 6 months, and love it! Running the W10M Release Preview ring, this phone has been responsive and reliable. Beautiful hi-res AMOLED screen, double tap wake/sleep, great camera, rapid charging - I'm very pleased. I even use the Iris Scanning lock with good success.

And I'm not a fanboy, blinded to other options. I own, and occasionally use a Nexus 5X, which costs about the same as the 950, and uses the same Qualcomm 808. The Nexus is inferior, in my opinion, in most comparisons. Android feels laggy, rubbery, even on a modern phone. Battery life is worse than the 950, although only by 20% or so. The 5X excels in only two areas, from my perspective: the fingerprint scanner is faster than the 950's Iris scanner. And of course, any app you can dream of is available in the Play Store.

I like my 950 so much, I ordered the BOGO deal yesterday. The new 950 will be for my wife, who has enjoyed her Lumia 830 for a couple of years. I'll probably sell the XL, but who knows?

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    11-25-2016 08:28 AM

To answer your question: Yes, I'd still buy one if the price was right. It was right when I bought it not too long ago, at around $350 or so (I can't remember exactly) with a dock.

I upgraded from an "old" LG G2X (sold by T-Mobile in the US) and it was really night and day. It's faster in every way and does far more things than that phone. The G2X started deteriorating (performance) pretty quickly after I got it, so I'm hoping and guessing this phone won't do the same. If you're already on Windows 10 Mobile and like it then I don't see how getting a 950 at a good price can be a bad thing.

All the people criticizing Win 10 Mobile are using mostly nonsensical arguments that I either disagree on the basis of their facts being wrong, or because they fail to see a larger context. To me, the 950 and Win 10 Mobile is a nice blend of a work device and a more 'consumer' device. It's an unlocked device so I can take it wherever I want, with dual SIM, at a good price, with continuum and a dock. I have all the apps that I actually need on it, and a lot of what I want. I honestly can't think of a single app I really want that isn't available.

So again, 'yes', I'd buy it.
    Byrese likes this.
    11-25-2016 10:50 AM
    I am keeping my 950 until a surface phone or phone with x86 capability shows up. Hope to get a year or so from my device, very good phone, buy one asap.
    TgeekB and Byrese like this.
    11-25-2016 11:53 AM
    If you can get a 950 under 200, there is no reason to skip :p it should have been near 250-300 to start with....
    libra89, TgeekB, Rosebank and 1 others like this.
    11-25-2016 01:41 PM
    Honestly man.. I like the guy, but his hatred for anything related to WM has become a bit unreasonable/frustrating and comedic lol

He honestly reminds me of every man/woman who had their hearts broken and suddenly decided it's ok to think that every other man/woman in the world will ultimately end up breaking their hearts so it's best not to try at all.

Man, I think I went overboard with my analogy xd
    11-25-2016 01:44 PM
    To answer your question: Yes, I'd still buy one if the price was right. It was right when I bought it not too long ago, at around $350 or so (I can't remember exactly) with a dock.

I upgraded from an "old" LG G2X (sold by T-Mobile in the US) and it was really night and day. It's faster in every way and does far more things than that phone. The G2X started deteriorating (performance) pretty quickly after I got it, so I'm hoping and guessing this phone won't do the same. If you're already on Windows 10 Mobile and like it then I don't see how getting a 950 at a good price can be a bad thing.

All the people criticizing Win 10 Mobile are using mostly nonsensical arguments that I either disagree on the basis of their facts being wrong, or because they fail to see a larger context. To me, the 950 and Win 10 Mobile is a nice blend of a work device and a more 'consumer' device. It's an unlocked device so I can take it wherever I want, with dual SIM, at a good price, with continuum and a dock. I have all the apps that I actually need on it, and a lot of what I want. I honestly can't think of a single app I really want that isn't available.

So again, 'yes', I'd buy it.
    I'm mulling it. Thanks
    libra89 likes this.
    11-25-2016 04:05 PM
    I just bought one. Does that answer your question?
    Haha I'm loving Windows 10 Mobile despite lingering issues on my 640 XL/640/830 so I'm hoping the 950/XL proves to be just as, well, awesome.
    11-25-2016 07:10 PM
    I love my Lumia 950. Even though it randomly rebooted for some reason last night for whatever reason I don't know lol.
    ven07 and mark233 like this.
    11-25-2016 07:28 PM
178 123 ...