Should I come back??

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Bought the lumia 950 at launch and had if for a few weeks before returning it. Nice phone but had lot is issued with the OS. camera took great pictures but was too slow to process them. Overheating crashing etc.

Since the. Went back to BlackBerry and now BlackBerry android. Saw a decent price for a new lumia 950 today and wondering whether it's worth buying now?

Did all the OS updates make it more usable? Any advise would be appreciated.

DominicanNY

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
it all depends of what you need for example, if you use your phone to play video game or use a lot of new apps so
you should keep using your Blackberry with android because windows 10 mobile is still lacking the new apps.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes I've read that. That's what prompted my question. I'd like to know forum's opinion on this.

Has the windows mobile os gotten that much better now?

Ah right, I'd let the 950 owners chime in as their experience will differ from mine with my L930.

Personally it's been pretty decent however I have had a few quirky issues here and there but nothing frequent.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The one issue I have is the keyboard's prediction algorithm which doesn't seem to properly catch certain words. Other than that the device is solid for me. I got it about three months ago though so I can't compare it to what it was like at release.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I love my 950. Perfect size, still performs well, and of course excellent camera. At an excellent price point now too.

Sent from mTalk

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
There are still a couple of quirks, although overall, it's very solid. I don't run the insider ring, I'm using the official ATT releases. I don't have any heating issues, crashing, anything like that. For the slow photos, there are settings that can be used to reduce the amt of processing time.

The quirks I see are small, a little irritating, but small. For example, I can't use a long audio file for a calendar alert tone, it quits after ~7-8 seconds. So I've missed calendar alerts as a result. That kind of thing.

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 950 at release a year ago. The OS has come a long way since then. I would say the OS is solid enough that you could come back. I'm sure you are aware of the limited applications available as compared to other platforms, this would be a bigger concern for me than the state of Win10Mobile.

P.S. I still have my 950, but my sim is now residing in a Nexus 5x. I just got tired of waiting for the app gap to close.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 950 after the price drop. I had a 640 as a W10M testbed before that. W10M was garbage for quite a while. But it is indeed way better now.

On Release Preview Ring, my 950 gets a day of battery life easily, and the only crash bugs I can report are on Outlook, when trying to load a picture email, like 1 time out of 20. I have had no reboot bugs. Performance is snappy. Pictures are good. I second the feeling above about the keyboard - my 1020 on WP8.1 was waaaay better at predicting my text.

All in all, a pretty great phone for $200-$300.

llckll

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Ok back on the 950 xl after a year. I can say the performance and stability of the OS greatly improved.

I still experience slow camera and when all variables are in line, takes great photos. Not so much action shots with young boys.

App gap is a big problem. Apps that my entire family uses just lost support on the windows mobile platform.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a new 950 from MS store with dock thrown in free for 330 CAD. Couldn't resist the price. Same bundle would've cost close to $900 a year ago when I bought and returned the 950. Hopefully this time around my W10M experience is better

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I am quite happy with it. Continuum is awesome. The camera is great although a bit slow but acceptable. All's cool. Also you can game with emulator and xbox one s controller if you want to. It could be faster but it's already a bit old and quite cheap, so for the price it is great.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
If you want to use the fm radio or a static ip addresss you might have to edit the registry / interop unlock though. But that is easy.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Just bought a new 950 from MS store with dock thrown in free for 330 CAD. Couldn't resist the price. Same bundle would've cost close to $900 a year ago when I bought and returned the 950. Hopefully this time around my W10M experience is better

So was this just an "in-store" deal for $330 and free dock? Online pricing showing $339 for 950 but is "Out of Stock" and has been for a few days, no mention of free dock with it or 950 XL.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Best time to come back to windows. Maybe you can get elite x3 if you want. But if you are getting a decent price for 950, just get it. I own the slightly better 950xl. It is lovely. No issues yet. Agreed it was laggy when it has launched, now it is polished.
Originally posted by vhl71

Yes I've read that. That's what prompted my question. I'd like to know forum's opinion on this.

Has the windows mobile os gotten that much better now?

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
So was this just an "in-store" deal for $330 and free dock? Online pricing showing $339 for 950 but is "Out of Stock" and has been for a few days, no mention of free dock with it or 950 XL.
No its the same deal - got it in store $339 with the free dock.
Setup hasn't gone smoothly. Multiple reboots still struggling to update to the latest OS. So far hasn't been impressed

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
No its the same deal - got it in store $339 with the free dock.
Setup hasn't gone smoothly. Multiple reboots still struggling to update to the latest OS. So far hasn't been impressed

Sorry to hear that, hopefully things get better soon and your experience improves.

After we saw the pricing online was contemplating whether we should pull the trigger on a 950 until I fired up my 830, all I can say is thankfully it was out-of-stock. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes