L950 battery life at current builds? I want to come back to w10m!

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi to all, I know that some people think that asking about battery life is pointless when everyone uses their phones in a different way. But for me this was a reason to sell my lumia phone some time ago.

At the moment I'm using android (xiaomi redmi 3s with 4100mah battery) and must say that this phone is a beast! BUT battery is the only good thing for me in this phone. I hate android OS, and decided to buy this phone only because of the good price.

So, back to the topic- I use my phone a lot, mostly to work on it. I receive and send a lot of emails (push service), use 2-3h browser a day, around 1-2h phonecalls, some sat nav, 2h music a day using Bluetooth headphones, some social apps, etc.
With such usage its really hard to kill this phone, with around 5-6h SOT a day I usually finish each day with another 50% battery left! I know it's hard to beat redmi now, but how it looks on current w10m builds?

You can also give some examples of your usage which gives better view on battery...

Cheers

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My day is typically 2 hours of browsing, 30 minutes of FB, 30 minutes of email, 30 minutes of texting, and let's say 5-10 pictures taken (while editing maybe 1 or 2 with Adobe Photoshop Mobile). On a day like that, I usually end around 50% when I plug in at night.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
My average usage is less than mweflen, and on average I end up with more left than 50%. I would have to think about where most of my usage happens though relative to battery usage, as I sometimes am on Wifi in different locations but for most of the usage, and other times mostly am on cellular...

Having to charge 2-3 times per day sounds like either really, really high intense usage or a faulty device or battery.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
My average usage is less than mweflen, and on average I end up with more left than 50%. I would have to think about where most of my usage happens though relative to battery usage, as I sometimes am on Wifi in different locations but for most of the usage, and other times mostly am on cellular...

Having to charge 2-3 times per day sounds like either really, really high intense usage or a faulty device or battery.
For me charging phone 2-3 times a day sounds a bit ridiculous, there has to be something wrong!

If you guys finish your days with about 50%battery then I could believe that in my case it would be possible to end the day on a single charge...
I really want to try again, especially now when 950's are so cheap! QHD screen on lumia is gorgeous, for me best of the best, reading even small fonts is a real pleasure. I also like it's plastic back- never liked aluminium or glass finish on other premium phones...

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I should say I'm on Release Preview, and I do turn off my WiFi when I'm out in the wild (and turn it back on when home or at work). I'm on auto-brightness medium. And I do top off whenever I can generally - the scenario above is representative of a day where no top-offs occur.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm using 950, latest "normal" software installed and battery life is pretty ****ty. I unplug my phone every morning at 5:40, before work. When I come home, at 15:30, I have about 15 - 20% left and have to recharge it again. I have 2 e-mail acc on sync every 2 hrs, Viber, Whatsapp, internet. Phone is on wi-fi both home and at work. No Fb, no Instagram, no games. So, I take that as crappy battery life. 😀

Sent from mTalk

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm using 950, latest "normal" software installed and battery life is pretty ****ty. I unplug my phone every morning at 5:40, before work. When I come home, at 15:30, I have about 15 - 20% left and have to recharge it again. I have 2 e-mail acc on sync every 2 hrs, Viber, Whatsapp, internet. Phone is on wi-fi both home and at work. No Fb, no Instagram, no games. So, I take that as crappy battery life. ??????

Sent from mTalk

Ok, but what do you actually do with the phone then? Just talking for an hour and checking email a few times and browsing the web for like a half hour shouldn't bring you to 15%.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm using 950, latest "normal" software installed and battery life is pretty ****ty. I unplug my phone every morning at 5:40, before work. When I come home, at 15:30, I have about 15 - 20% left and have to recharge it again. I have 2 e-mail acc on sync every 2 hrs, Viber, Whatsapp, internet. Phone is on wi-fi both home and at work. No Fb, no Instagram, no games. So, I take that as crappy battery life. 😀

Sent from mTalk

Ok, but what do you actually do with the phone then? Just talking for an hour and checking email a few times and browsing the web for like a half hour shouldn't bring you to 15%.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not Ramy, but there's something about Edge that provides serious battery drain in my experience, across all devices. I hope that this is something would be improved. Not surprised at all with Ramy's stats though.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Would be good to know which app drains battery the most... When I had my lumia 950,I didn't have any particular app issue, overall battery life wasn't good that time (and it was when first 950's showed on the market). So after such long time since then I really would expect much improvement in battery life...

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Using a Lumia 950 DS variant, but only installed 1 SIM. Using WiFi or LTE even at home, I usually charge my phone to full before I sleep. Unplug at about 12:00AM, and went to sleep. Wake up on average at 7.00 ~ 8.00 AM, and by that time I usually received quite a lot of messages from different messaging apps, e-mails, and a few notifications either from AppRaisin or Manga Blaze, and the battery status shows about 95~85%. My typical day usually begins with sending lots of messages, mostly via WhatsApp, and browsing FB, IG, Twitter, and Reddit via Readit until lunch time. Some days I do make voice or video calls, with voice calls usually lasts for about 1~2 hours, as well as listening music either through the phone's speaker or via wired in-ear headphones for about 0.5 ~ 1 hour. By about 4.00 ~ 5.00 PM, my battery would be around 30~25%.

Brightness is set to Auto with the slider around 1/4 of the bar under settings. My background apps include Windows Central, WhatsApp, SMS/Phone, Skype Preview, E-mail set to sync every 1 hour for my Student's account, and every 2 hour for my personal account, Manga Blaze, AppRaisin, IG, FB + Messenger, Twitter, Weather, Alarm, and Outlook Calendar.

Tbh, I find the battery to be quite good for my usage, although I sometimes wish it was better. Also, although the QHD AMOLED screen of the 950 is a beauty, I don't really appreciate it all the time, and wished that the panel was a FHD AMOLED screen instead. That would've boosted the battery life of my device by about 3-4 hours more, imo.

P/S: I'm running Insider FR Preview builds on my 950. It does get better with every update!

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded Battery X app last night. It seems that it provides a lot of usefull statistics about battery. Will use it for a couple of days and then come back here to write what it shows.
My daily usage is about half an hour to 1 hour of talk, few SMS, about 20 Viber + 20 Whatsapp messages. Maybe 5 photos (if) and 2 hrs of web browsing. Screen light is set to darkest with automatic on.
It may be that before Lumia I had Sony Z3 compact that had above average battery. It could easily lasts whole day and had 30% at night before I go to bed.
I know that Lumia has a bigger display with lot more ppi, but still...
Anyway, when I see what Battery X has to say, I'll be back. ☺

Sent from mTalk

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Quick question - do you all guys use Windows hello (iris scanner?) Many people say that it drains battery a lot! I always had this option off... Do you have NFC enabled? (I'm not using it as well...) I want to check everything I can before decide to buy lumia phone again- for another week I'm on my winter holidays so still have couple days to do my research...:)

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, here's my general usage of my 950.
I have NFC, location, WiFi and mobile data off and only turn this functions on when I need them. I use Windows Hello.
  • Mails: One check every hour
  • around 20 texts a day
  • 1 1/2 hours Edge a day
  • I take 3-5 pictures a day
  • No facebook or Whatsapp

I know I use my phone way less than many other people but I'm very happy with my battery life. I start my day at 7am and when I go to bed at around 11 pm I still have around 60-70 percent left. I charge my 950 every second or even third day

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6