Any way to change SIM name & ID?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Last week I bought an unlocked 950 from the Microsoft Store and was sent a Dual SIM model, which was a pleasant, though for me, unnecessary surprise, since I really don't need two numbers on one phone. (I can see that it might come in handy for overseas travel). In the meanwhile, even though I only have one SIM in the phone, the Homescreen tiles for calls and text messages both read "SIM 1" and text messages to others show on the bottom that they were sent from SIM 1.

Is there any way to change that? Even if I did have or do get a second SIM, I'd rather call them something other than the Dr. Seuss-like SIM1 and SIM 2. Even more, I'd prefer not to have text messages show that I have two SIMs or which SIM I sent a text from.

Those of you who need two SIMs, to separate work and personal calls and texts, do you really need or find it useful for people to know which number you are calling from or that you have two SIMs?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Last week I bought an unlocked 950 from the Microsoft Store and was sent a Dual SIM model, which was a pleasant, though for me, unnecessary surprise, since I really don't need two numbers on one phone. (I can see that it might come in handy for overseas travel). In the meanwhile, even though I only have one SIM in the phone, the Homescreen tiles for calls and text messages both read "SIM 1" and text messages to others show on the bottom that they were sent from SIM 1.

Is there any way to change that? Even if I did have or do get a second SIM, I'd rather call them something other than the Dr. Seuss-like SIM1 and SIM 2. Even more, I'd prefer not to have text messages show that I have two SIMs or which SIM I sent a text from.

Those of you who need two SIMs, to separate work and personal calls and texts, do you really need or find it useful for people to know which number you are calling from or that you have two SIMs?

I think I recall seeing in settings that you can rename the sim but as for the showing of sim 1 at the bottom, you can't do much there. I don't think your contacts would be able to see that you sent them a text from sim 1.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah, there it is, I had looked before but didn't find it. In Settings, under Nework & wireless> Cellular & SIM. If you go to SIM1 , just under roaming options, there's an option (in your chosen Settings color) for "SIM 1 settings". Tap that and you can change the name of your SIM.

Actually, you can also use an emoji instead of naming it!

Thanks for pointing me back there again.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually I don't think either the name of the SIM or the emoji show up on the recipient's phone. At least they didn't on a friend's iPhone. This may require more inquiry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa