Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By libra89
  • 2 Post By xandros9
  • 1 Post By Elky64
  • 1 Post By MrockNroll
  • 1 Post By Eric Goforth
  • 1 Post By Elky64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 650 has totally died for the second time in 6 months. I sent up back under warranty the first time. I'd like to replace it with a 950, but am really unhappy with the 650. Is the 950 as durable as the old 920s, etc. were? I'm temporarily back on my old 928.

Global Posts
    5,539 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'm sorry that you have had a sour time with your 650s. I would say that the 950 is pretty durable. Unfortunately some 950s have had random restarts and others haven't had any issues at all. Even so, I think it would be worth it to take a chance on it.
    Elky64 likes this.

Global Posts
    15,809 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're asking physical durability, then the 950 is hard to gauge like most any other phone.

But if you're talking reliability, I'm not sure. I think you're having a run of bad luck frankly. (which reminds me of the guy exchanging his Palm Pre eight(?) times)
    libra89 and Elky64 like this.

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not good and sorry to hear that...

As for the physical aspect, I don't think most phones of of "today" are built like the "tanks" (so to speak) of yesterday especially when comparing them to the 920 era. All my devices are equipped with some sort of protective case/screen protector for an extra bit of reassurance because I do see the new breeds being more vulnerable to damage.

I'm new to the 650/950 realm so a bit early for me to comment fully on their overall reliability, but after a few weeks of use so far so good. Yes they both have the elusive W10M bugs and quirks yet have been up to the task each and every time I've called upon them... Maybe with an extra nudge or two at times
    libra89 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 650, so far its been very reliable but is in a case, and only 4 months old. I do know that my Lumia 640 has been a tank, dropped on concrete twice and on a wood floor once with no case only a minor scratch/ding. the ATT version has win10 mobile but my T-Mobile only win 8.1 mobile.
    Elky64 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a case on it. I may have dropped my 650 a few times but have never cracked either one's screen. The 650 failures have both been seemingly out of the blue. One time while listening to podcasts. Another time when I rebooted it to see if it would help a minor glitch. In both cases the 650 wouldn't turn back on at all.

I've had a couple 928s, a 521, a couple 1020s, and a 530. The 521 lasted a bit over a year, one of the 1020s developed a problem with the charging port after a year. The 928 is still working about 3 years with a cracked screen. Both 1020s were bought used on eBay.

The 650 has been a real disappointment. It looks like a really nicely finished phone foe the money, but two dead brand new phone in six months is pretty bad even for a budget phone.
    Elky64 likes this.

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Goforth View Post
    I have had a case on it. I may have dropped my 650 a few times but have never cracked either one's screen. The 650 failures have both been seemingly out of the blue. One time while listening to podcasts. Another time when I rebooted it to see if it would help a minor glitch. In both cases the 650 wouldn't turn back on at all.

I've had a couple 928s, a 521, a couple 1020s, and a 530. The 521 lasted a bit over a year, one of the 1020s developed a problem with the charging port after a year. The 928 is still working about 3 years with a cracked screen. Both 1020s were bought used on eBay.

The 650 has been a real disappointment. It looks like a really nicely finished phone foe the money, but two dead brand new phone in six months is pretty bad even for a budget phone.
    Yeah a bit of bad luck for sure, maybe the drops no matter how insignificant jarred something loose which is a possibility. In my opinion the 650 is more fragile than some but not all that I've had or seen.

My first 650 came defunct out-of-the-box in that the display wouldn't turn on in the cold. WP has been the only phone I have ever encountered hardware issues with, EVER. My track record to-date is 4 out of 6 as being defective in one form or the another, not all were completely incapacitated either in that two out of that four were still usable. Thankfully and fingers crossed, my newest 650 and it's bigger brother (950) haven't succumbed to any hardware issues after a several weeks of daily use.
    libra89 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through 3 650's. Poorly made phones if you ask me, so when my last one broke i traded it in for a 950."the build quality isn't top notch, but what's under.the hood is great. The battery life is much better, I'd say 50%better. Just make sure you get a decent case. I bought the tudia case and It's solid. The 950 isn't as flimsy either, it has some bulk which is a reassurance of It's worth. It feels more expensive. If you get a case then I recommend it. The phone innetially went for $550 and now can be had for about 230 - 250 @ms store I believe.

I personally love it. I just wish it had iTunes available amongst other apps, but it's nice to have ms office built in. Also the composite adapter you plug your.phone into is much better than micro USB. It's far less likely to break and charges quickly.

Let me know what you think!