950 questions about to acquire one

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to acquire a 950 and have a few questions.

1. If I'm going to use ATT is there any fine differences in the att version vs the unlocked?
  2. With light use any idea how many hours of battery life I can expect?
  3. Has anyone used NFC payments successfully?

That's it. Thanks kindly if someone has input.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

1. If I'm going to use ATT is there any fine differences in the att version vs the unlocked?

1) Not many differences, aside from dual sim and not having carrier features on the unlocked one.
2) You'll get a day and some hours.
3) Not me, this is all on who you bank with and if they support MS Wallet. I have heard that some have been able to do so successfully.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

2. I get the feeling that the battery life is highly dependent on just what you're doing with the phone. I certainly wouldn't expect watching high quality video with screen brightness at 100% to give you many hours, neither gaming I guess. For example though for today, I woke up with the phone fully charged:

- 45 minute commute with Groove Music playing + web browsing. Screen at 50% during this.
- Location always on.
- Using cellular connectivity during commute.
- Checked emails a couple of time during work.
- Same 45 minute commute back.
- Windows Hello enabled.

It's now 8 hrs later and the battery says 70%. I would call the above "light" use though. There have been cases where at work there was a fair amount of waiting and where I surfed the web a lot more, and then I'd probably come home with a battery closer to 30%. So when I work long hours, which happens, I can go a couple of days on one charge (because when I get home I go to sleep pretty soon).

3. Yes. I have Bank Of America and use NFC payments at Duane Reade, my local food store, Trader Joe's, in New York cabs, the liquor store, I open the ATM door with it, etc.

The way it works seems to depend on the vendor/technology you're interacting with. In a yellow cab it'll now ask me for an iris scan to verify the purchase, but no signature or pin is required after that. At the grocery store it just acts as if I had inserted a card, and I have to complete with a pin after. Same at TJ's.... In all cases I immediately get a notification that my payment has been made. Love this feature.

And I especially love the looks I get when someone is fiddling with their stupid bank card trying to get into the ATM booth and I just hold up the phone.... They always ask how I did that, and I always say "Microsoft Windows phone" and smile...

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've had a few of those "with Windows phone this is easy" times and it sure is nice to see the look on their face. Ok those details help a bunch. Gives me a sense of what to expect. Perfect.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So I set it up (copied over the old phone stuff and hooked to wifi) in advance of actually getting the SIM from the new carrier. When the new SIM arrives would it be wise to hard reset the phone for the SIM settings to "take" correctly? Or just insert new SIM and go?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I set it up (copied over the old phone stuff and hooked to wifi) in advance of actually getting the SIM from the new carrier. When the new SIM arrives would it be wise to hard reset the phone for the SIM settings to "take" correctly? Or just insert new SIM and go?

Before I answer that, which one did you end up getting? The AT&T one or the unlocked one?

If the former, you should be just fine. If the unlocked one, it's easier to do the hard reset route but you may have to put in MMS settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05