Just setup Windows Phone - all my contacts got an email invite to Messenger

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
When you say set up do you mean when you first add you email account during initial start up? I'm not sure what you did. I never added my messenger account to my phone.

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
"Setup": activated my phone and synced my contacts.

I don't have Windows Live Messenger installed on my phone as far as I know, only the regular "Messaging" app for sending text messages.

In terms of my Windows Live Messenger account, it is the same account I have for my Windows Live account for Xbox Live. But I've never installed Messenger on my phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, you do have WLM on your phone. It's built into your messaging hub. It's just not labeled as WLM.

If you click the Messaging tile, swipe right to "online."

Click the ... on the bottom right and choose the icon that looks like a person. This is that "status" icon. If you choose anything other than "offline", you'll be logged into WLM with the main LIVE account you used to set up your phone.

But this should NOT send invitations out to anyone. So I'm not sure what's causing that with your situation.

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, you do have WLM on your phone. It's built into your messaging hub. It's just not labeled as WLM.

If you click the Messaging tile, swipe right to "online."

Click the ... on the bottom right and choose the icon that looks like a person. This is that "status" icon. If you choose anything other than "offline", you'll be logged into WLM with the main LIVE account you used to set up your phone.

But this should NOT send invitations out to anyone. So I'm not sure what's causing that with your situation.

I've been chatting with Windows Phone Support on Twitter - turns out, one of my contacts received an IM from my MSN Messenger account (strangely labeled as though from my Gmail account, despite my WLID being my MSN email address, and not my Gmail address) with a pr0n link.

So the culprit is likely that my account was phished. Now that I've got a Windows Phone, all my accounts (gmail, FB, MSN) seem to be linked, both on my phone as well as on my Live account.

While I was searching for a way to transfer my contacts from my iPhone to my Windows Phone, I may have clicked on a phishing site - this is the only explanation I can think of.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I just saw the feed after I posted.

Oh... and by the way...

Everyone follow @aceattorney on Twitter and check out http://www.xboxpulse.com for XBOX news!

OMG... I think your phished email got into me and just made me spam your site.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre