Spit shine and polish

Winphoner

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So finally jumped ship from iOS to WP8 a couple of days ago. Got a new Nokia Lumia 920 from Rogers to replace my still smooth iPhone 4. First impressions are great, I love the lumia, and I'm really enjoying wp8. There are a lot of things that it does better than my old phone, and the hardware looks sexy and runs like butter. But over the past few days, I've been using the phone a lot, and noticing a lot of things that seem to indicate a few rough edges and some missing polish.
  • No compass on the Nokia Maps! I mean this is not something that's new. Android and apple have had this for quite some time. When walking around in a new city, this really makes a difference.
  • Ringer mute does not do a system mute. When I set the phone on silent, it should mean that I don't want it to make noise, not just that I want notifications to be silent. When I open a game, it's blasts at full volume, which is very distracting.
  • When on Bluetooth in my car, calls some in and work just fine. But when I try to use the TellMe feature, the responses from the phone are silent. I'm guessing that this is b/c my car has an older BT, but the old iPhone did this correctly, starting a call as soon as you opened the voice dial (pre-Siri)
  • Backing out to force close apps is clumsy and not intuitive at all. When doing this from running games, it's just a complete mess, jumping between play and pause.
  • Built in screen shot feature always makes a sound, even if in silent mode(I know this is nitpicking, but hey I'm allowed to!)
  • Misc: not orientation lock, can't always check the time/network status from all apps, not letters on the lock screen password numpad...

Like I said before, love the phone, but a few things like the above list really give the impression of an unfinished OS. Here's hoping MS address these things and really bring the OS out of its shell.

WalkerHall

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you on the ringer mute feature. Not sure why I would want the ringer silent but everything else can make noise.

What I really don't like about the back out to close feature is for explorer. If you have browsed through several pages you have to back out through the entire history to close the app. Clumsy. Everything else is pretty easy. Just think of the start button as minimize and the back button as close.

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
So finally jumped ship from iOS to WP8 a couple of days ago. Got a new Nokia Lumia 920 from Rogers to replace my still smooth iPhone 4. First impressions are great, I love the lumia, and I'm really enjoying wp8. There are a lot of things that it does better than my old phone, and the hardware looks sexy and runs like butter. But over the past few days, I've been using the phone a lot, and noticing a lot of things that seem to indicate a few rough edges and some missing polish.
  • No compass on the Nokia Maps! I mean this is not something that's new. Android and apple have had this for quite some time. When walking around in a new city, this really makes a difference.
  • Ringer mute does not do a system mute. When I set the phone on silent, it should mean that I don't want it to make noise, not just that I want notifications to be silent. When I open a game, it's blasts at full volume, which is very distracting.
  • When on Bluetooth in my car, calls some in and work just fine. But when I try to use the TellMe feature, the responses from the phone are silent. I'm guessing that this is b/c my car has an older BT, but the old iPhone did this correctly, starting a call as soon as you opened the voice dial (pre-Siri)
  • Backing out to force close apps is clumsy and not intuitive at all. When doing this from running games, it's just a complete mess, jumping between play and pause.
  • Built in screen shot feature always makes a sound, even if in silent mode(I know this is nitpicking, but hey I'm allowed to!)
  • Misc: not orientation lock, can't always check the time/network status from all apps, not letters on the lock screen password numpad...

Like I said before, love the phone, but a few things like the above list really give the impression of an unfinished OS. Here's hoping MS address these things and really bring the OS out of its shell.

agree, and yes I love my white nokia lumia! it is like BUTTER though

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs