Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but you do realize that Google has to pay licensing fees for EAS to Microsoft, right? Their competitor? It makes absolutely sense that they will not want to support a protocol of a competitor that they also have to pay for. It's a very simple business decision, I don't understand what the big fuss is about...

Steve, I certainly don't deny any licensing or google's option not to pay it. Though they will continue for paying google customers. I was mainly rebutting the part that MS was telling him to screw off when it's google that's making the call.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it's google telling you to go screw because you want to use their services on a MS phone. They are the ones refusing to make apps and stopping EAS, not the other way around. If it means that much and you are this unhappy, android is obviously better and less stressful and less argumentative for you.

My God, how quickly people are willing to forget.

Back in the day, Internet Explorer owned the browser. Microsoft told web developers to code for IE or their sites wouldn't work for 95% of Internet users. They had the market share, they had the users and they fought every challenge to their dominance until they thought they couldn't lose.

Now, Microsoft wants market share and users that someone else has. They want people like me to abandon what I have in favor of the same exact product that they offered when I had my Dell Axiom back in the day.

That's not good enough any more. Needs change. People change. I used to have to have over 1,200 contacts because that was the only way that it could be done. Now I have the same contacts, but consolidated down to just under 400.

Times change. People change. Products and services improve. Microsoft can improve, or Microsoft will continue to struggle for every inch of market share that they can gain.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Since Google Contacts was never available outside of a Google account, I can only assume that you're stirring YouTube into the pot as well.

That change happened 2 years or more after Google bought YouTube. Given that MS has owned Skype for just a little over a year it would likely be wise to wait and see what they do with it. At $8.5 billion, MS will do what they have to do to try to make that investment pay off.

Sure, but given how Microsoft has handled the Xbox brand, I don't see any evidence to suggest they'll hold Skype and it's users hostage.

Aside from that, you're insinuating that Microsoft's history is as pure as the driven snow. We both know that is as far from the truth as you can get.

Microsoft have never claimed to have a halo over their HQ, unlike Google with their "Don't be evil" motto. Further more, speaking from personal experience, Microsoft have never imposed themselves on me in such a way (compared to the Youtube scenario). Neither have they hacked my web browser and stolen my privacy data.

Two wrongs don't make a right and Microsoft's past doesn't justify Google's behavior today.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Everyone knows what "Don't be evil" means. It means "feed our silly fanboys a line about how wonderful we are, while we read all their e-mails and track their movements with Google Now in an operation that would make the Stasi blush with shame, selling that deeply private data to advertisers, all while convincing said fanboys that we give them free services because we're just so nice and cool and stuff." :)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Oops, and I almost forgot the other half:

"Whenever we're caught red-handed doing outrageous privacy violations that should probably be illegal, point to our motto as proof that our motives are pure, even though we've been caught flagrantly violating user rights."

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna leave you guys to your hatred. Google, me or whatever else you find so distasteful.

Its been fun, but arguing on the Internet is stupid, and I used to know better than to wade into a ****** pissing match.

Enjoy yourselves.

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

I'm gonna leave you guys to your hatred. Google, me or whatever else you find so distasteful.

Its been fun, but arguing on the Internet is stupid, and I used to know better than to wade into a ****** pissing match.

Enjoy yourselves.

I feel with you on this.
Not fun when arguments go bad I'm no ****** but I don't like what Google are doing they forgotten where they came from

What we can do is us other sites that demonstrate what we think but what impact will it have (in short nothing)
BTW there is no company out there that is totally clean including MS .

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
In other words, you're really, really mad that we haven't drunk the Google Kool Aid.

Before you go, you might want to make sure your WiFi is properly locked down, especially if you live in a major metro area. That awesome, totally non-evil Google has been hacking into people's home networks and downloading the contents:

Google Engineer Knew About Street View WiFi Data Scoop: FCC Report

I guess that deliberately hacking into private networks, scraping e-mail and password data, archiving it, and then reselling it isn't "evil."

Yeah, this is a company to trust with all of your most personal information. I mean, just look at their motto, d00d!

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

In other words, you're really, really mad that we haven't drunk the Google Kool Aid.

Before you go, you might want to make sure your WiFi is properly locked down, especially if you live in a major metro area. That awesome, totally non-evil Google has been hacking into people's home networks and downloading the contents:

I guess that deliberately hacking into private networks, scraping e-mail and password data, archiving it, and then reselling it isn't "evil."

Yeah, this is a company to trust with all of your most personal information. I mean, just look at their motto, d00d!

And what is your point (maybe it's that my native language is not English ) you lost me there.

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

WOW. Just. Wow.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't care what you drink, it's tough to debate someone that intentionally makes up the facts to suit their own needs.

Take this paragraph from your posts: two factual inaccuracies that I'm sure you'll be happy to use again and again.

1. Google didn't hack into anyone's network. If your WiFi network is open, you're blasting your data as far as your signal will carry. No hacking required.

2. Provide one credible bit of evidence that Google resold the data. Don't come back with "they used it to target ads", because that's not selling the data.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sv: Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

And what is your point (maybe it's that my native language is not English ) you lost me there.

Read the story. Google's StreetView trucks were hacking into private WiFi networks and scraping/downloading all the data they could from them, including usernames, passwords, and files that weren't properly protected. They were then associating those WiFi profiles with individual addresses, so they could identify the usernames and passwords and associate them with individual people.

Someone should have gone to prison for this, and Google should have been fined BIG TIME. They weren't.

But such activity is unquestionably "evil," regardless of a cute tagline.

Oh, there I go again, unfairly bashing Google. We should all be happy they're doing us the public service of hacking into our home networks and archiving data for us. It's pre-emptive backup! :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb