Microsoft still has a lot to do to impress Android and iPhone users.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Check out how many resources iTunes uses next time it's running. When I used it a year ago, it wasn't uncommon to see it using 65% of processor resources on an i5, and 600+ megabytes of RAM, all while idling in the background.
That's true. However, the average user won't care.

It also doesn't help that iTunes gift cards are so ubiquitous. I've given lots of people iTunes gift cards as Christmas and birthday gifts. It's easy when the cards are in the checkout aisle at every grocery store here.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That's true. However, the average user won't care.

They sure will care, when the machine is sluggish and apps keep running slowly.

The first thing I do to improve performance on friends' PCs is force-quit iTunes, and show them how to do it when they're not using the app. Their PC problems disappear.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've have never had to hard reset an android device even when it was a cheapo zte blade - as for the rest - you are confusing cheap selling price with cheap BOM - and the nexus devices are not cheap in that sense.

The Nexus 4 is crap, sorry. And it runs that horrific Android OS, with freezes, lags, malware, incompatibilities, crashes, etc.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
yea. the reason why I won't use android is because of malware and privacy. Google is an Evil Company. that ignores privacy. that is why I won't use an android phone because Google controls it.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is crap, sorry. And it runs that horrific Android OS, with freezes, lags, malware, incompatibilities, crashes, etc.

I have a nexus 4 sat next to me - it doesn't freeze, it doesn't lag, I guess I could install some malware on it and it's never crashed - when was the last time you actually used an android device?

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Until Windows phone 8 can mow my grass, make my bed and wash my car I am sticking with android. C'mon people Windows phone 8 is beautifully magnificently fluid and she keeps me warm at night!! 😈

jdom

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
the windows phones need MORE exposure
when u walk into a big retailer like best buy and ask about the Lumia 920 ,they look at you like u are asking about something out of this world
They have no working models on display,no cases no screen protectors, Nothing.
Microsoft needs to do something about that

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a happy windows phone user but I'm also cheap and I'll likely switch back to Android because it is (with 4.0 and above) 'good enough'' and with google now turning out nexus phones at such low prices, I'll get one of them.
As for inexpensive handsets, I just ordered an unlocked HTC 8S and it was the least expensive handset out there. Mind you, if you're a spec hound, a Nexus 4 may be a better choice if you don't care about the o/s. In my case, I'm married to the o/s not the handset.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
As for inexpensive handsets, I just ordered an unlocked HTC 8S and it was the least expensive handset out there. Mind you, if you're a spec hound, a Nexus 4 may be a better choice if you don't care about the o/s. In my case, I'm married to the o/s not the handset.

The difference in price in the UK between the 8S is only about twenty quid so it's not a factor - having said that, I had a play with an 8S today, it's a very nice feeling phone.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
and about xbox video... why is it socomplicated to make possible to rent a movie regardless of the country you are in... Microsoft should make worldwide... seriously... I had to create an email adress with United-States has my country to unlock this service... I simply don't understand Microsoft on this... same for Local Scout and lots of W8 and WP8 key features... If Apple can do it.. I don't know why Microsoft can't

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
One thing Microsoft needs to fix, immediately, is the poor OS updating experience.

There are lots of 8Xs that are suffering from random reboot problems, and the answer for when they're going to get the update already sent out to unlocked devices is...

*get ready*

"In the coming months."

Not. Good. Enough.
Crappy. User. Experience.

And the worst part is, it's not that hard to fix.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off, even at the risk of being tarred, feathered, drawn, quartered, and having my remains fed to a fire Ant hill:

ICS and J.B. Android phones are not the "lag, stutter, freeze, repeat" devices of the previous couple Android cycles. The Multi-core processors helped, the optiminzation of the OS helped, the OEM's dialing down their UI skins helped a TON (looking at you, HTC Sense and Motrola MotoBlur), and this generation of Androids are much better. Do not think for one second any growth WP gets will be because of Android "rage" over poor performance. There is very little actual disgust with Android. They keep improving their tools and baked in features. Android is not losing any steam. Period. They are actually gaining due to improving performance, which is amazing.

However, Android cannot offer a true entire ecosystem. Microsoft can. Android cannot offer a new way to work a device. Microsoft can. All we can hope for is that Microsoft, Nokia, HTC, all their other OEM and Tablet makers are sharing in the vision of what Windows offers.

In other words, it is my humble, unimportant opinion that the OP is correct: Microsoft will get WP users based on it's own merits, ecosystem, improved tools and support. Not because Android, Apple, or RIM failed.

Although that WOULD help......

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I own a Galaxy S III, and it's just as laggy, crash-prone, freeze-prone, etc. as every other Android device I've owned.

It's a lot more colorful, and initially impresses, but after a few weeks, you hit "WTF moments" every few hours.

There's a lot to be said for consistent and reliable... that's why Apple can charge what they do.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Android can't be as bad as some have experienced or they wouldn't sell so many. WP has some maturing to do, but it's almost there and it's dang good.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
and about xbox video... why is it socomplicated to make possible to rent a movie regardless of the country you are in... Microsoft should make worldwide... seriously... I had to create an email adress with United-States has my country to unlock this service... I simply don't understand Microsoft on this... same for Local Scout and lots of W8 and WP8 key features... If Apple can do it.. I don't know why Microsoft can't
I don't own an Xbox. As a result, I don't see why it would be any advantage to get an Xbox Gold subscription for $5/month. Renting the videos is an extra cost per movie, and Netflix/Redbox/Amazon Prime streaming is cheaper, since there are no additional "rental charges" other than the subscription charges.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb