Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan Malinovic

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

I switched back from Android to WP two months ago. I was dissapointed by Android lag and LG droping phone support after only one update of system even though phone was more than capable to run Kit Kat and now Lolipop. Now I have Lumia 1520...I am satisfied overal but wish there are more quality apps to fill the gap on market. Noticed increased battery drain on 8.1 but since it has gigantic battery its not big issue. What I would like is that M$ be more strict about apps. There are lot of apps, either official or unofficial that are plain and simple garbage. Why not they make agreement with big developers or app publisher that they update their apps regulary and so we have same app quality as other platforms. One thing I hate is when WP app mimics Android or iOS app like OneDrive...

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

I am switching to Android One - Moto G2.
1. Least customizable - no native option to set custom ringtones (don't tell me about ringtone maker-stupid idea to set ringtone via app).
2. Can not set custom alerts for email/messages/whatsapp - if there are 5-6 Lumias in a room, no one knows exactly whose phone is ringing.
3. Poorly implemented Bluetooth transfer - if one file fails to gets received, all previous files are lost. Pairing even Windows PC is troublesome and keeps losing connection frequently.
4. SD storage is very poorly implemented - lots of compatibility issues, files transferred to SD card are not recognized in 'storage sense' and shown as 'others', moving maps to SD card is next to impossible.
5. File manager is extremely poor. Impossible to find audio files received via whatsapp.
6. Photos - can't create albums in photos itself (don't tell me to use Files)
7. Videos - most of the formats do not play.
8. Storage - all high end Lumias have no expandable storage and all lack USB OTG. If my L1020 snaps at 42MP HR photos, don't I need more storage? WiFi is not available everywhere and 3G is not cheap for cloud storage.
9. Apps - I am not App savvy but android counterparts do far better- eg. again whatsapp.
10. Calender is poor compared to android. If it was exactly like Symbian it would have been great. Even setting birth day reminder alarm is complicated. Calender is best managed online only and not via device itself on Lumia.
11. Flip to silence doesn't work for alarms.
12. Phone forgets date and time when it is re-setted if it freezes, and it does freeze sometimes. None of old Nokia did forget date unless battery was removed. If date and time on Lumia is set to Auto, Nokia account logging in fails on Maps and Mix Radio.
13. Phone can not be properly used while connected to PC and transferring data, freezes many times, slows down, or transfer is interrupted.
14. Somehow, on Moto G2, I find reception superior than Lumia, I have 2 Lumias - 925, 730.
15. Security - only locking pin can be set, gallery/messages/notes can not be locked. Not even good third party app are there because for crappy OS implementation.

Moto G2 has all above stuff rightly done. It does have flaws but at least what I use most is very good. I don't care about Cortana as 'say google' works in my country and is damn good. I don't care about unifying devices now or in future as I don't need it - I use different devices for different job and would like to keep it that way. Here maps and camera is the only advantage for Lumia but again I have good old N8 for that job. N8's photos are far better than L925 and finally here maps will be there on android someday. N8 even works best as music player as it has Dolby Digital has 16 GB inbuilt storage plus 32 GB SD card support plus USB OTG , HDMI output, DLNA support and last but not the lease - Play via radio.

On Denim, Only IE is greatly improved over Cyan and almost compares to android's browser which I use most. Other stuff I don't care - making folder in start menu etc etc it's all crap.
If W10 rectifies above, I might use WP again. Till then C ya.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

I am switching to Android One - Moto G2.
1. Least customizable - no native option to set custom ringtones (don't tell me about ringtone maker-stupid idea to set ringtone via app).
2. Can not set custom alerts for email/messages/whatsapp - if there are 5-6 Lumias in a room, no one knows exactly whose phone is ringing.
3. Poorly implemented Bluetooth transfer - if one file fails to gets received, all previous files are lost. Pairing even Windows PC is troublesome and keeps losing connection frequently.
4. SD storage is very poorly implemented - lots of compatibility issues, files transferred to SD card are not recognized in 'storage sense' and shown as 'others', moving maps to SD card is next to impossible.
5. File manager is extremely poor. Impossible to find audio files received via whatsapp.
6. Photos - can't create albums in photos itself (don't tell me to use Files)
7. Videos - most of the formats do not play.
8. Storage - all high end Lumias have no expandable storage and all lack USB OTG. If my L1020 snaps at 42MP HR photos, don't I need more storage? WiFi is not available everywhere and 3G is not cheap for cloud storage.
9. Apps - I am not App savvy but android counterparts do far better- eg. again whatsapp.
10. Calender is poor compared to android. If it was exactly like Symbian it would have been great. Even setting birth day reminder alarm is complicated. Calender is best managed online only and not via device itself on Lumia.
11. Flip to silence doesn't work for alarms.
12. Phone forgets date and time when it is re-setted if it freezes, and it does freeze sometimes. None of old Nokia did forget date unless battery was removed. If date and time on Lumia is set to Auto, Nokia account logging in fails on Maps and Mix Radio.
13. Phone can not be properly used while connected to PC and transferring data, freezes many times, slows down, or transfer is interrupted.
14. Somehow, on Moto G2, I find reception superior than Lumia, I have 2 Lumias - 925, 730.
15. Security - only locking pin can be set, gallery/messages/notes can not be locked. Not even good third party app are there because for crappy OS implementation.

Moto G2 has all above stuff rightly done. It does have flaws but at least what I use most is very good. I don't care about Cortana as 'say google' works in my country and is damn good. I don't care about unifying devices now or in future as I don't need it - I use different devices for different job and would like to keep it that way. Here maps and camera is the only advantage for Lumia but again I have good old N8 for that job. N8's photos are far better than L925 and finally here maps will be there on android someday. N8 even works best as music player as it has Dolby Digital has 16 GB inbuilt storage plus 32 GB SD card support plus USB OTG , HDMI output, DLNA support and last but not the lease - Play via radio.

On Denim, Only IE is greatly improved over Cyan and almost compares to android's browser which I use most. Other stuff I don't care - making folder in start menu etc etc it's all crap.
If W10 rectifies above, I might use WP again. Till then C ya.

Some things like no micro SD in some phones I can agree and folders and the app problem yes but there are things that ere not right. Yes you can set for sms, watsapp, facebook and other things were you get messages from, an other ringtone.
Yes you can ad ringtones with android from your audio files and with wp it works different but you can so to. It can be better but it can.
That your phone freezes is more a problem with your phone. I don't have that problem. The only time I have had bugs were when I used the developers preview version.
Freezing and other problems when connected to your pc is also a problem I don't have.
Bluetooth works on my wp and windows tablet better than it ever did and does on my android devices. I need to reconnect my headset each time again and than the mice does not work and must do it again were my wp and win tablet do it with no problem when I put my headset on.
Connection problems I have had to but that was also with my android phone and was a provider problem. Now with an other provider I have no problems and very good connection and internet speeds. 3g and as I want I can set it to 4g but than I must pay more.

It is more that you want several things that are not there on wp but you forget one thing. Android is there now for a long time and I can tell you that as long that I worked with Android, it took them longer to reach what wp can do now than what they could do. The improvements came the last few versions and those versions bring there own problems with them. How long will your moto g2 be supported? In most cases 2 years if you are lucky.
It is already so far that you need for many apps Android 4,3 or higher to be able to use it and many systems will not more be updated and many of the systems that have 4,3 will not get 5.0 or higher. in 1 or 2 years all devises under 5.0 will loose support by apps were wp even the old ones that have wp 8/8.1 will get wp 10. That is what I call support.

Wp needs time and that is what people forget each time. They loo to android and ios and start complaining wile what wp has reach in this short time is more than both of those platforms did and still they are improving and catching up.
It is a fact that wp has the best base of all systems and runs the most stable, fastest on slower systems and is one of the safest systems.

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I have to admit, I love Windows Phone 80 percent of the time. But at times, it drives me crazy how basic functionality that I think would be a staple of a phone platform does not work on Windowsphone 8.1.

A good example is accepting GoToMeeting invitations. You can "Accept" but then you are screwed. The original invite is eliminated from your email list, and only the NOTICE OF MEETING is put in your Calendar. WindowsPhone strips out all pertinent data from the invite, like WHAT NUMBER TO CALL and PASSCODES. For crying out loud. My BlackBerry 9780 can handle GoToMeeting invites flawlessly. This is a serious problem. Yet, WindowsPhone has a decent GoToMeeting APP, while my BlackBerry has none. I wish I could MELD the two phone together!

I can be productive with my WindowsPhone, and I can be productive with my BlackBerry. Damn, if I could fuse the two together, I'd be Mr. Get-er-done.

I am the kind of guy that likes to hang on to technology that works, while testing out new things. Thus, I still use my BlackBerry 9780 as well as my WindowsPhone. When you link the Berry to a Playbook via BRIDGE, it's an AMAZING combo. If Playbook had basic business apps, I'd be set, but it does not. Yet, when I'm out and about in the business world, I miss "Navigation" and "Cortana" and a really decent "Twitter" app that I do like on my WindowsPhone. But I'm in a world of hurt if I only have my WindowsPHone and someone sends me a GoToMeeting Invitation. I don't DARE accept it until I copy and paste all the data into OneNote.

BlackBerry has put out a new "BlackBerry Classic" that uses OS-10 and can sideload Android apps. This may be the answer for productivity and state-of-the-art use apps and navigation. And it has a new LINK system like the old BRIDGE that allows it to sync and work seamlessly with your laptop via WiFi rather than BRIDGE's Bluetooth. I will definitely give it a try!

HOWEVER, I'm NOT getting rid of my WindowsPhone! I do like it. I just need some core features to work the way they are supposed to and I'll be happy as a clam!

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

That your phone freezes is more a problem with your phone. I don't have that problem. The only time I have had bugs were when I used the developers preview version.
Freezing and other problems when connected to your pc is also a problem I don't have.
It's a known problem with L925 which even after 2 years MS has not sorted out and now agreed to sort out....waiting!!

Bluetooth works on my wp and windows tablet better than it ever did and does on my android devices. I need to reconnect my headset each time again and than the mice does not work and must do it again were my wp and win tablet do it with no problem when I put my headset on.
Send 10 files to a WP phone and see when there is problem when receiving 10th file, all previous 9 files a re also gone. Now imaging when you do it with 50 files. Also I have PC/Laptops for Win XP to current Win 8.1 Pro. Nowhere is not as simple as just right click and send to->bluetooth device, like it's for android and Symbian S^3 phones. Always need pairing first to other PC/Laptop/Mobile. What if I'm receiving file just once from a person and don't want to pair? Headset pairing is fine.

Android is there now for a long time and I can tell you that as long that I worked with Android, it took them longer to reach what wp can do now than what they could do. The improvements came the last few versions and those versions bring there own problems with them. How long will your moto g2 be supported? In most cases 2 years if you are lucky.
What about WP 7.5? It was there since long. Though two are completely different systems, did MS not learn anything from it's failure? Was it not their job to do research before starting to build WP8? They took 3 years to add basic separate vol controls, improve IE, notification etc. Do you still call it evolution? If it is, then think where other will be when MS reaches to one point. How much more time they need?
There are plenty of basic stuff I can talk about which should be there in the first hand and can not be ignored for day to day use of any cell phone. Forget about HDMI out, unifying devices, VPN, Cortana I want basics at the best and currently WP is no match for android. And about bugs/problems, everyone has it. The question is which one has least.

I religiously used WP as I'm a diehard fan of Nokia. And Nokia deserved it, not MS. WP feels "completely incomplete" even when compared to Symbian, leave apart Android. I like Windows on PC/Laptop, definitely I'll vouch for MS on PC, but WP - they have completely ruined it.
Of course things might turn differently when WP10 comes out. But till then it's again long long wait. I'm still optimistic and hope basic functionality is just great as I experienced with my all trusted good old Nokia (Symbian).
Thank you for your patience.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

I switched from android to WP six months ago and I am happy about it.
Love WP <3 It has all I want and need.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Sold my iPhone 6 and my Galaxy Note 4 and I'm back to my Lumia 1520.
As much as I try I just can't live with out my live tiles. Widgets suck and IOS has no universal back button.

Matt Manahan

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

I switched from Android (HTC One M7) to WP (Nokia Lumia 1520) about 3 months ago, but I've already decided to try out iOS (6 Plus). I like WP OS and love the phone, but the app situation is slowly driving me crazy. I researched a ton prior to switching to WP and all but one of my most used apps were covered by 3rd party apps. But now Snapchat is gone (yes, it's dumb, but I used it a lot), and I'm noticing the flaws in the apps that are available. I don't use my phone for business, so I need a phone for social and entertainment uses. So, nothing new that hasn't already been said, but I thought I'd add my voice here.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

and
Yes i agree that WP is missing things outside apps and that apps in sme cases are not like the android/ios version. I can't talk about the 925 because I have an Ativ S and a Lumia 1020 that both work very good now.
The Bluetooth file transfer works here without any problems just like with an usb cable. My Android phone gave problems but that one I a lot older and the support of Samsung with there very bad software for the pc were the problem.
The calendar is just limited and I agree that that is just to limited especially as you want that companies use your products.
USB on the go is missing yes and it would be nice as they ad it with wp 10. I don't use it because I do a lot of work with my tablet that also functions as extra storage and for recharging my phone.
But still wp is further than Android was ad the same time. Yes here was wp 7 ut android was there already a few years before wp 7 came. Android is older than many people think because the first version were just crap. compare it with wp 7 and you will see that wp 7 was ay ahead on the first android versions.
But people compare platforms on support like USB on the go, software functions like a pull down menu, apps and hardware.
A real high-end phone is there not for wp. Yes they have great spec's but not comparable with the iPhone and Samsung phones. Also no finger print reader to unlock your phone.
WP is especially selling good in the low end of the phone marked and that is were wp shows why it is ahead and way better than Android/ios. WP has the best kernel for mobile devises and that makes that it runs on low spec phones.
ios has only a limited of hardware were it runs on and is not able to run on a low spec device. It is way to heavy.
Android works on low end phones but it becomes slow and is limited in what it can do.
Yes wp is missing things but as you look from the perspective of Microsoft and what now is there biggest part of there phone, than is it logic that there is missing support for some things. There calendar is just bad and no excuse but no support for usb on the go is not the main thing.

I also think because of the aim on the low end marked and that there main marked is not the EU and US makes that it is missing a lot of things that are there for Android and ios that are focused on the high-end marked.
I hope that WP 10 will change this and makes that Microsoft will aim also on the high-end marked and ads a lot of support and improve there support for items like smawtwatches.

For me a mid range phone is good enough because I don't need all those functions like an un save fingerprint things. I have a super camera on my Lumia that replaced my camera.

Don't see it wrong, I agree that in many things wp is behind and that it must still do a lot to close the gap. I understand you and for some people there are things they need and are not there on the wp platform. Android and ios are further on that.
Lets hope that they close the gap with wp 10.

Bojan Malinovic

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

and

A real high-end phone is there not for wp. Yes they have great spec's but not comparable with the iPhone and Samsung phones. Also no finger print reader to unlock your phone.

I dont agree with you about windows phone doesnt have high end phones. Both L1520 and 930 are high end, even though they are not top of the line in hardware niche they are still doing their work good, and since windows doesnt need octa core and quazilion gigs of ram to work normal, you can call them freely high end phones.

Dominosdad

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

I love my WP. I do get slightly annoyed by some implenetations ( like the calendar) that are a bit rough round the edges.
But I don't really understand what it is that people want when the say there aren't enough apps or enough high-end devices.
It's a phone. A smartphone, but still a phone.
So what apps do they actually need, that are missing? Or do they mean not enough games?
And as to high end devices, since the middle range devices do everything that anyone could reasonably expect of a smartphone, and do it well - what are they looking for? A camera that's as good as a DSLR? If so, why? If they're serious enough about photography they'd have a proper DSLR.
Or is it about having a status symbol? In which case they should be buying an iPhone and paying the Apple Tax.
Windows Phones are a good device that does what they need to do.
That being said, if Microsoft don't release 8.1.1 etc for exisitng phones because they want us to buy newer ones I will walk away. But that's on principle, not because it's a bad phone.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

I dont agree with you about windows phone doesnt have high end phones. Both L1520 and 930 are high end, even though they are not top of the line in hardware niche they are still doing their work good, and since windows doesnt need octa core and quazilion gigs of ram to work normal, you can call them freely high end phones.

I agree with you but people don't see that, that way and look to the numbers and functions and not to what a platform needs to run good. Also things like a finger print reader and other useless functions are seen as things for high end phones.
People look ad the spec's and than wp stays behind.
That is why I say that wp has no high end phone.

I like wp because I don't need to buy the latest version with the highest spec's to have a smooth experience.

PacificNormWest

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Should I stay or should I go?

I love the Windows Phone OS. I fell in love with it so much that I left iOS three years ago for a Lumia 900. Wow, remember those days!? I felt optimistic then, but now I feel that WP is slipping more noticeably. I don't feel entitled to have the best apps that third parties produce for WP, but if I purchase another piece of hardware from Microsoft, in the form of Windows Mobile, it better mean that I have the best apps that Microsoft can produce. This is the slipping part that feels new to the equation. My Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware, but a device that is faster, lighter, equipped with a better camera and a better app experience is in order after two plus years. Yes, I was one of those who felt burned by MS during the 7-7.X vs. 8 fiasco. I upgraded with a second phone line 9 months after I purchased the 900. That's dedication! I've been holding out on an upgrade for a long time, even resorting to purchasing an iPad Mini (Wi-Fi only) to have access to all the other apps I can't get on my 920.

Today, I feel a bit dissed by MS again. The Office suite of apps is far superior on my new Surface Pro 3 and iPad Mini 2 than it ever was on my L920. This should never be the case and I hope Microsoft is serious about their 'One Microsoft' commitment. MS is promising good things for us, so I truly hope they deliver. By better experience, I also refer to the OS itself. Windows Mobile must be better out of the box than Windows Phone. Baked in features (notifications, start screen customization, camera, battery life, Cortana, 32 GB built-in memory or greater, and a much improved OneDrive experience). I'm not here to address the chicken/egg debate of the OS. I'm just a consumer who expects an excellent software experience on a piece of hardware from the same company (granted it is technically a Nokia device, but it is essentially Microsoft now). I get this on my Surface Pro 3, RT and Xbox One. Clearly I support Microsoft, but I'm wondering if waiting for the next generation of phones is worth it. Should I go back to iOS in the form of iPhone 6? My iPad Mini 2 is making it easier to contemplate the change. Will Microsoft whip Windows Mobile into shape? BTW, go easy on the devs, in the end, it is Microsoft that needs to make the experience better for them so that they can make it great for us.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should I stay or should I go?

If you feel iOS will give you what your are lacking - unification on its tablet, laptop, PC, phone and gaming console - by all means you should get iPhone.

But to "feel at home" in an ecosystem, Microsoft will again be the first there. Microsoft has been first at many things and screwed up royally. But back then it was slow now we see a different Microsoft so maybe in this ecosystem race Microsoft will win.

People should stop buying into platforms. It's so 2010. 2020s are going to be the time for ecosystems and they will be the foundation for internet of things. This is where your money is? Then stay.
Using my Halloween Lumia 930.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Should I stay or should I go?

I guess the OP lost me when I came to the word "entitled". I'm just too old to understand how anyone can have a sense of entitlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb