Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

here maps is also available on android

That was actually quite a shock to me. Last week a friend of mine proudly introduced me to Here Maps on an iPhone 6 and I was flabbergasted, to say the least. Not only did it look much better than on Windows Phone it was also easier to use (at least from my personal user experience), significantly faster in pretty much anything, free, and it does include free maps to download as well.

DieFrische

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Today i ordered my i Phone, so now i am leaving Windows Phone.

I really enjoyed my HTC 8s or Lumia 925 and some other, but with the Update to Win 10 i see no future for the System in Addition it?s ugly as hell.
And the app gap after 4 years of using is very annoyed.

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Well I cam back from Android. Had a HTC 8x before than went with a galaxy s4 amd now im back on my HTC 8x. Why? Cause i simply love the phone & OS. Apps are not really a problem for me, but oh boy how i mossed the live tiles and lock screen notifications.

So I'm back to stay for good.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Had an 820 since early 2013. Thought of switching to Android (GalaxyS5) or iOS (iPhone5S) but I've decided to choose Lumia 930. I wouldn't afford S6, and as I change phone every 2years it would be silly to go with one year old Android flagship. iPhone 6 is too expensive, and 5s is just too small for me. It feels like a toy.

I've got the most important apps available here. I use m.facebook instead of an app. Lack of snapchat bothers me a little bit, but it's no big deal. :)

PS.
If I had more money I would switch to S6/iPhone6 because there is no flagship Lumia available.

WinU

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why should I stay with WP?

I know that this is a fairly old post but I am starting to question things myself. I'm still on a 920 because I haven't found anything worthy to replace it with. Microsoft has been so focused on low end affordable phones. Where is the flag ship? I hope that changes soon with the 940 maybe? Windows 10? Are they going to allow Android apps on windows mobile? We have been losing apps and yes it has affected me. The Bank of America and Chase app were pretty big. A few other apps have pullled out of windows just recently too. No snap chat etc. People will say, just switch banks. Well there are like whopping 2-3 banking apps on windows. I'd rather switch phones. Oh and it's much easier to pull a sim out and test a new phone than to switch banks and time my bills. So please someone tell me why I am hanging on? What am I waiting for? Will it change? Will major apps like BofA come back? I have loved Windows but I really am about to call it quits. I will not go to the Iphone so that only leaves me with Android but I'm willing to try. I will hang on to my 920 in hopes of apps returning.

WinU

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I'm very close to leaving Windows myself. I don't really want to but I've been waiting, waiting, waiting and waiting. Just wait they say.. Well it's been long enough. No flagship to be seen at this time and apps disappearing. What is really going on with Windows? I feel like there is nothing but rumors out there. Is 10 really a big deal? Is the 940 coming? I feel left in the dark. Why are apps leaving the platform? Some a big deal, some not. I am struggling to find a reason to stay. My 920 is great. It works great, but it's getting old. Camera is losing ground to the new phones and it's just outdated. My most used app. BofA is gone. and yes I used it ALOT. No I'm not switching banks, plus there is like a whopping 2 banks in the windows store. As soon as I can save enough for a Galaxy S5 or the new S6 then I might give one a try. I will definitely hang onto my Lumia 920 though. Just incase!

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why should I stay with WP?

Understood! I am just curious on what is going on with this platform these days. Will big apps be coming back? Is there a big secret that no one knows? Or is it a dying OS?
I had a Lumia 710 for a while, switched to an iPhone, then to a Nokia 1600 (yeah I know) which I'm ready to let go of. My wife just got a Lumia 630 that I've been playing with and I must admit the WinPhone OS is splendid. The lock screen, live tiles, app design and overall feel are all ahead of everyone else. Everything is so smooth, beautiful and helpful. It's a much better experience than iOS for sure (which I use daily on an iPad).

So as I'm ready for a smart phone again, I've been investigating whether or not the downsides of the platform had been addressed. These were mainly:

• The app ecosystem lagging behind.
  • The store being filled with crap.
  • Updates being pushed by providers rather than Microsoft.
  • Lack of flexibility when it comes to customization.

Keep in mind it's been 3 years since I last touched a Windows Phone. Much to my dismay, only one of these issues have been addressed and it's the last one.

• The live tiles and lockscreen are now very easy to customize and much more useful.
  • Updates are still pushed by providers and not MS/Nokia which I can't believe is still the case. This means users who like having the latest features their phone is capable of handling are left to hang and wonder whether or not they'll ever get updates. This also means there's no way to get a clear answer from anyone about whether or not your provider will push an update for you particular phone. It also means you may have to wait months before you get it (or not at all).
  • The store situation is even worse than it was!! It's become very difficult to find decent apps in the sea of abominations the MS Store has become. On top of this, it seems most good apps have not been updated in a year or more which makes me believe developers are just not interested in the platform which leads me to...
  • People will tell you the store has seen a surge of new devs and apps and use similar arguments to put the app situation under a favorable light but the fact of the matter is: the app ecosystem IS lagging behind and seemingly getting worse. There are still many VERY popular apps that aren't available for Windows (Snapchat anyone?), some have not been updated for years (Instagram) and I've been reading about devs abandoning the platform. If the state of things wasn't bad enough for casual users, as soon as your needs become a little specialized the situation becomes abysmal. As a musician, the Windows Phone platform just blows. I couldn't even find a decent metronome. All the major apps for musicians available on other platforms are missing from the MS store. Sad, sad, sad...

Considering all of these, and even though I enjoy the OS much more than anything else, I just bought an iPhone (which I will jailbreak to try and replicate some of the functionality of the WinPhone OS).

I don't think the OS is dying as MS is in it for the long run, but the only way I can see the situation get better is if MS decides to put money where their mouth is (developers developers developers): don't take a cut on sales, provide hardware, partner up with big names to finance development (at least in part), and also adopt a much more controlling position when it comes to updates.

I feel MS is ruining what is otherwise the best phone OS around today. It would just be too depressing to own a Windows Phone as a result.

Last edited:

DieFrische

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Just a curiousity, which one did you order?

I ordered for myself an iPhone 5s 32Gb, i will miss the awesome camera of the Lumia 925 and the charm of Windows Phone.
But for me Windows 10 is all, but not what Windows Phone has made extraordniarily and such ideal.
The new UI is not beautiful and looks like a crazy mix from Android, iOS and Blackberry OS.

but I'll keep my old Lumia 800 in honor, which was my first Windows Phone device and showed me to love Windows Phone and its uniqueness.

moirane

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Time to pack it in?

More and more I am wondering if it isn't time to let go.

I have been in IT for around 20 years, I got my first computer in 1982 (A TI 99/4A) and have been in love with the tech wold ever since. I have mainly used Microsoft products since windows for workgroups and have staunchly defended MS as a company and their products individual for many years.
I never really bought in to the Windows Mobile OS and was a Blackberry devotee until the Lumia 900 came out. I hadn't even heard of the new Windows Phone OS and was regretfully giving up on RIM and Blackberry after many happy years and was ready to bite the bullet and get an iPhone when my friend (who also was the manager of the ATT store at the time) gave me the new Lumia 900 to try before making any decisions. I loved it! I loved (and still do love) everything about the WP OS.

Over the past 5 years I have moved from the Lumia 900 to the Focus, the 920, the 1020 and now am using the 1520.

I am disappointed there was no flagship phone in 2014 but I can live with it and trust that MS will wow us this year. I am enthusiastic about Windows 10.

However, I can no longer get into the debates with my Android or IOS friends and hold my own. I can't access my own bank from my phone anymore and while I can always use the Chase website, the ability to take a picture of a check and deposit it from the mobile app does not exists on the website. This is a deal breaker for me.

I am thinking about moving on. Maybe an iPhone wont actually give me a communicable disease? Maybe I can get used to static icons? Could Siri really be that much worse that my beloved Cortana? (I can't even bring myself to consider going with Android)

Talk me out of this? Into this? I am just not strong enough to fight the good fight anymore. I know this is the best OS out there but all the signs are there aren't they? The OS is dying and I just don't see any way to save it at this point. I hope I am wrong and I hope I can hold out a while longer and see but I may just go tomorrow and downgrade to the iPhone.

Sorry for the post, not really sure what my point is. I am just sad that it has come to this.

Ah well, it's been a great ride!

Kevin

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I have kids, and the eldest, a 13 year old girl, would follow me into shark infested water covered in chum. The only thing she wanted was "a phone like dad's". She got her wish. Although she loves the OS, she frequently gets cheesed off at the lack of decent apps. Specifically Snapchat and Instagram. She may leave in the next few months as her birthday is coming up.

Kallekleiven

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm jumping ship to the Samsung S6.........at least for now.

I have a 930 and I'm going to buy the S6. I really enjoy the 930, but both my previous 1520 and the 930 have had their issues and I'm a little tired of it. I love windows phone and I don't really want to go back to Android, but the S6 is a beautiful piece of hardware and has a lot of cool features, so the gadget enthusiasts in me can't be held back. I'm coming back as soon as Microsoft or other companies make a phone that can compete with phones offered on Android and iOS, because I'm really excited about Windows 10 for phones. Anyone share this feeling?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Ive been thinking about the SGS6 also. Android, could I really? I had the original SGS for a month, until I complete got fed up with Google and gave it to my then gf.

They will probably release CyanogenMod rom do the SGS6 and that way you are not complete under Google's snooping eyes?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Ive been thinking about the SGS6 also. Android, could I really? I had the original SGS for a month, until I complete got fed up with Google and gave it to my then gf.

They will probably release CyanogenMod rom do the SGS6 and that way you are not complete under Google's snooping eyes?

I've seen some drop tests of the new S6 and I was kind of shocked how fragile it is. I mean they cover the back in GG4, but it's just as fragile to side impacts. (Covering the BACK in GG4 is a dumb move in my opinion and a whole separate issue.)
I have literally knocked a chuck of asphalt loose in the parking lot with my 928 when I dropped it once. It is a pretty solid handset. I'm going to miss that when I leave.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Okay so it's been 4 years of my stint with Windows Phone and 2 years here at Windows Central. I just love windows phone, the amazing community and talented third party developers.
My new phone (shiny lumia 830) just got lost two weeks ago and I'd been using lumia 820 these days but today it died suddenly. It won't boot up and I've tried just about everything from soft reset, hard reset to Nokia Software recovery and even Dead Flash.
I am a student and I don't have enough money to buy a new smartphone. (Not even a 520 sadly) so I have decided to buy a feature phone instead.
I am gonna buy a Nokia S30 series phone tomorrow.
I just wanted to thank each and every Windows Central member for helping me in my starting days here at Windows Central and also to moderators for making this forum as enjoyable experience as it is.

I would definitely be back in some months maybe when I would be able to buy a new WP.

I wanted to test the insider preview of W10 and that is why I bought a new lumia 830 but unfortunately it got lost. Hopefully all of you folks will test the OS and give them feedback specially on that ugly design they have been preparing.

Ps. Sorry for my bad English. I just came from work and its pretty late here.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Okay so it's been 4 years of my stint with Windows Phone and 2 years here at Windows Central. I just love windows phone, the amazing community and talented third party developers.
My new phone (shiny lumia 830) just got lost two weeks ago and I'd been using lumia 820 these days but today it died suddenly. It won't boot up and I've tried just about everything from soft reset, hard reset to Nokia Software recovery and even Dead Flash.
I am a student and I don't have enough money to buy a new smartphone. (Not even a 520 sadly) so I have decided to buy a feature phone instead.
I just wanted to thank each and every Windows Central member for helping me in my starting days here at Windows Central and also to moderators for making this forum as enjoyable experience as it is.

I would definitely be back in some months maybe when I would be able to buy a new WP.

I wanted to test the insider preview of W10 and that is why I bought a new lumia 830 but unfortunately it got lost. Hopefully all of you folks will test the OS and give them feedback specially on that ugly design they have been preparing.

I'm so sorry to hear that your 830 was lost. I hope things go well for you, and you'll be able to get a new Windows Phone soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Up to week 3 of life without Windows Phone after finally switching over to an iPhone 6+.

The only major gripe I've had has been iMessage, but other than that I'm blown away by the ecosystem experience. I just simply cannot fault it. It's mature, there are services and apps for absolutely everything I can think of.

The biggest thing which has surprised me has been the photography experience. I was expecting a step back from my Lumia 925 & 1520 experiences, but in actual fact this new iPhone 6+ camera is MUCH better than I could have imagined. The low light performance is absolutely exceptional. Apple has taken a nod from Lumia and also added better out of the box editing tools baked into the OS.

I have to sadly admit that WP is now starting to become a dim memory. Seeing comments from users about how they manage with a platform that has dwindling industry support makes me recall how I felt. I'd make excuses all the time for the fact that we had little to no apps, half how-finished WP would feel and so on.

I'm now enjoying life in a fully matured and brilliantly polished ecosystem, which while less advanced than WP, is nevertheless an excellent product that I overall cannot fault.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

PM me, I may have a 520 I can send you if you like.

P.S. I still have that 520 I can send you for nothing. I know its not much, but, I remember being a starving student all those years ago. You shouldn't have to go without if you are such a fan of the system.

Last edited:

NBsmoove

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
What is Microsoft thinking!?

I'm going to be leaving the Windows Phone depending on how the Windows 10 will look like, and function. Microsoft has repeatedly destroyed the reasons why I have originally came to the Windows Phone ecosystem.

1) Destroyed the People's Hub... (Twitter + Facebook no longer integrated...Launches a new APP when pressing on a new post/picture and takes 15 seconds to do so!)
2) Annihilated the Music Player... (Zune was a flawless music player application. Why did they mess it up with this new...basic...unoriginal music player?) Zune Music Player was the best music player ever made...even though it was made very late. However, having it integrated into the Windows Phone was a major plus, therefore I don't know what went through the developers' heads when they decided to change it.
3) Every time I launch an app it says "Loading..." for 2-3 seconds EVEN THOUGH the application is already running in the background. What's up with that? Android and Apple don't have this lag. By the way, is this only for me? (I use 925) Or do you guys in the high end devices also have this Loading thing which makes maneuvering between apps laggy?
4) Still no new lock screens. The ones that are suppose to come out are buggy, laggy.
5) Cortana should be ready on a snap. It takes 3 seconds for Cortana to start up, and 6 seconds for the news and weather stuff to be ready. And again, clicking on news and weather brings up separate apps (which take time to load) rather than being fully integrated. Ok...this is a little bit pushing it, I know. But Microsoft should maybe have a URL bar right in the main screen so that you can ask cortana questions or tell her to do tasks without having to go through the initiation portion which takes up precious time.

Also as I stated in number 3, windows phone is laggy. Sure, it seems flawless because it has beautiful transitions, however the transitions take up much time and it gets annoying after having used the phone for a year (on top of the "Loading...") screen. If you have a high end phone and it's very snappy, can you show a youtube video of it to prove it? Because I would understand if this slow lag is simply because of my phone.

Thoughts?

Altin Selimi

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

I've been on the WP train since Wp7 came out. I used to have a Samsung Omnia W which had pretty great specs and generally flawless. And I was extremly happy with it. The integration thing... Man that was something different. I loved it. The metro design language... Hello inovation. Then everything started to collapse. The facebook app with the beautiful metro design as we knew it, was gone. Other apps had similar fate. Developers started ditching metro design in favor of a more "universal" look across the platforms (ios,android,wp). Live tiles were cool. Until iOS7 was introduced, tgere wasnt anything better than them. But its been 5 years and we still get to see excactly the same tiles we had 5 years ago. Im sorry Microsoft, but this is not how you keep your faithful customers.

I was hoping windows 10 would bring something new, innovative, change, not hamburger-menu innovative but something more. Then came the demos that surfed on the web. For someone like me who was keeping his hopes high onto the upcoming system update, it was Horrible. I mean come one dudes. We were told UI changes would be coming. Damn I thought they were talking about making changes to my home screen... App list.. etc. Even though giving me a laggy home screen with "beautiful" background(*insert what year is it meme here*) wasn't what I excpected these guys are really working hard to pushing me to other platforms. Ok people, I know its in beta phase. But as far as I can recall WP8.1 was more feature-filled, and brought us more changes that this upcoming OS seems to bring.
"But windows 10 is more about developers".
Well most of the people who use the platform are not developers, and frankly we dont give a sh*t what goes on the background. What we want is a cool, unique looking os not everyone has. I'll wait till the final version of w10 is released, and finally decide which platform im going to hop on.

David Guzman3

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

This is likely my last day with my Windows phone. My S6 comes in today or tomorrow. Hopefully Microsoft gives the mobile unit back to Nokia, then I might come back ✌

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss