Can Microsoft survive in the consumer market?

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Now that we have Kindle fires, droids, androids (Same thing) ipads and iphones, do you think MS can survive in the consumer market? Or will they simply be the next IBM doing all the back end cloud solutions and business solutions?

Twice Born

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
They have everything they need to not only survive, but thrive in the consumer market. If they don't squander what they have already and really work the marketing, they will do just fine.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
On a more serious note...

Microsoft as everything to be successful in the consumer market.. in fact with all its services it can be a direct competitor to Google, while Apple will probably be left behind in terms of services... they make good hardwares, fair softwares, but they suck at services...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
People talk of the demise of Microsoft every time they release a new OS, but I think they are doing what they have to to remain on top, which is creating an unified experience across phone, tablet, Xbox and PC.

In many ways they are already back in front, they just need the world to wake up and see.

For instance I love taking a photo on my phone and looking at it on my tablet, or on the big screen on Xbox. Or playing a game and my achievements being everywhere. Or editing a Word document anywhere. This is neat stuff.

I would be naive not to recognize that a lot of people are buying a tablet at the moment - Android or Apple based primarily, however everyone I know who has a tablet comes back to a PC when they really want to do something. Tablet screens are small. Interfaces are clunky compared to a mouse/keyboard.

Tablets are great for entertainment, but for doing stuff, a PC is still hard to beat. And that is why Microsoft will be around a long time.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, they have a lot of work to do on the Windows Phone end. I just came back from Disneyland today, and it was packed with people. We waited 30 minutes to buy tickets and 2.5 hours to ride the new Cars' ride as an indication of how busy it was. I don't know if it's a California thing; I seriously doubt it because of my travels to other places around the world, but it was a sea of iPhones. I think I may have seen 1 WP outside of mine and my wife's.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Although I love my WP7 and soon WP8, I gotta say, it has a lot of catching up to do. One notable feature, for example, that WM had that WP doesn't is the ability to have the file explorer. This alone will give consumers that more "windows feel", and will draw people. By MSFT handing out all of their tools to rival OS's, they're diminishing any market share that would prefer those resources, but that's an entirely different conversation right there

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, they have a lot of work to do on the Windows Phone end. I just came back from Disneyland today, and it was packed with people. We waited 30 minutes to buy tickets and 2.5 hours to ride the new Cars' ride as an indication of how busy it was. I don't know if it's a California thing; I seriously doubt it because of my travels to other places around the world, but it was a sea of iPhones. I think I may have seen 1 WP outside of mine and my wife's.

that's a big California thing. Everyone wants to be like their favorite celebrity and fit in with their friends, and most of which have iPhones. The LA area is highly controlled by the big brother known as apple...

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
that's a big California thing. Everyone wants to be like their favorite celebrity and fit in with their friends, and most of which have iPhones. The LA area is highly controlled by the big brother known as apple...

Honestly, I would like to think it's just California, but everywhere I've been it's been the same observation from Taiwan to Canada. Even at SeaTac airport it was mostly iPhones ... in MSFT's backyard.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I would like to think it's just California, but everywhere I've been it's been the same observation from Taiwan to Canada. Even at SeaTac airport it was mostly iPhones ... in MSFT's backyard.
I see more android phones than iPhones... and the iPhone is rare in Europe

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft can survive, only if they can address all their issues with their Windows Phone platform (from popular apps to proper CDMA coding and support for US carriers, among several others).

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
That is fascinating that the iPhone is not as common in Europe. In Asia, the Galaxy was a big player along side the iPhone. I really think Microsoft needs to concentrate on areas where they are growing ... namely China. The US centric mentality isn't working. I understand the app developers are in the US but if you get your global share up those guys will jump on board eventually.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You still need the US market, which is also Microsoft's home market, and they have failed so far on their approach to market their platform. Having a GSM based focus on their marketing does not help them on their cause.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That is fascinating that the iPhone is not as common in Europe.

It is simple economics (and a lack of math skills).

In the EU, the phone is typically purchased outright, whereas the US uses carrier subsidies. I know plenty of people who would buy a "free" iPhone 5 with a two-year service contract for $100 per month ($2,400 over the two year term) rather than spend $299 to get an iPhone 5 with a two-year contract for $50 per month ($1,499 over the two year term).

Explain to them that they spent over $900 more for the "free" phone and they look at you cross-eyed. Such carrier pricing strategies reduce the perceived value of the phone and also inflate the cost of mobile service here in the USA.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It would help if they would allow Microsoft gift cards to be used in the windows phone store. Or Microsoft points. It seems ridiculous this already isn't possible with a company the magnitude of Microsoft.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It would help if they would allow Microsoft gift cards to be used in the windows phone store. Or Microsoft points. It seems ridiculous this already isn't possible with a company the magnitude of Microsoft.
I agree. Every store I've visited (especially local grocery stores) had iTunes and Amazon gift cards near the registers. I've picked up these cards and given them to family/friends as holiday/birthday gifts frequently. I've never seen a Microsoft gift card.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb