Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By ttsoldier
  • 1 Post By JamesDax
  • 1 Post By Simon Tupper
  • 1 Post By ttsoldier
  • 1 Post By Chregu
  • 3 Post By Mio_Ray
  • 2 Post By kerryprsp
  • 2 Post By crystal_planet
  • 1 Post By Chregu
  • 1 Post By crystal_planet
  • 1 Post By sdrawkcabII
  1. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Go Microsoft :)

    Lets hope 2013 is an even better year.

    2012: A Year of Microsoft Milestones - YouTube
    JamesDax and snowmutt like this.
  2. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,538 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    Go Microsoft :)

    Lets hope 2013 is an even better year.

    2012: A Year of Microsoft Milestones - YouTube
    The forced start of Windows 8, the NT Kernel copy of Windows Phone 7 called Windows Phone 8, as well as the feature lacking (this screen resolution in 2012, come on...) Surface didn't convince me really. I'm truly hoping for a better year in 2013, it's time for Microsoft to bring some quality and features in what was started in 2012. The potential is there, but they really, really have to work on it.
  3. JamesDax's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    748 Posts
    Global Posts
    749 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Agreed. Was a great year for MS. Looking forward to what they have in store for 2013.

    (next Xbox)
    snowmutt likes this.
  4. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    784 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    The forced start of Windows 8, the NT Kernel copy of Windows Phone 7 called Windows Phone 8, as well as the feature lacking (this screen resolution in 2012, come on...) Surface didn't convince me really. I'm truly hoping for a better year in 2013, it's time for Microsoft to bring some quality and features in what was started in 2012. The potential is there, but they really, really have to work on it.
    ... <--- My most honest response.
    irvin792 likes this.
  5. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    ... <--- My most honest response.
    Why did you waste a response.

    Crap. Now I wasted one as well. God damnit.
    irvin792 likes this.
  6. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,538 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    Why did you waste a response.

    Crap. Now I wasted one as well. God damnit.
    First of all, Nokia was releasing phones all the time, therefore I don't really get your meme. There was the Nokia N line, with the N9 at the end, then based on the N9 they released the Lumia 800, later the Lumia 900, and now the recent WP8 phones.

    Second, I realize that in this forum are many people who really love Microsoft. That's good, you are the guys who bring out the good word, who use their free time to write blogs about these products, who help in forums and yes, you rock! But you also have to accept, that there are people who are grumpy and cynic like me.

    I'm not fan of a company or a brand, I use products, and therefore I try to see the good and the bad. You don't have to search for the bad concerning Windows Phone 8, there are hundreds of threads about it in this forum. Better Microsoft apps on iPhone than on Windows Phone is only one example. So, instead of making stupid and condescending comments, you could ask me why I (and most of the customers, I mean look at what is known about sells numbers, and I've had several Windows Phone devices and Windows Mobile before) feel not so euphoric about what Microsoft did in 2012. And we are talking only about 2012.

    What new features had WP8 in comparison to WP7, just for me, the customer, in 2012? Yeah, right, there was nothing that could not have happened in WP7, just not at all. So, they have a great basis to create something big, but they have to do it first.

    Why I am not impressed by the Surface? Look at the heavily subsidized Nexus tablets with great hardware and even more functions and apps and you know why.

    Why I am not impressed by Windows 8? I wrote that in the Windows 8 forum.

    So yes, I think there's a solid foundation, but no, I don't think Microsoft impressed me by what they did in 2012.
    Gergolos likes this.
  7. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I don't agree that the Nexus have "even more functions." They're cute toys for light web browsing and e-mail.

    But I do agree that Microsoft had better work to make 2013 better than 2012. They've got LOTS of problems with WP8, stemming from the botched launch... and lots of broken promises to fix as well.
  8. Mio_Ray's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    317 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Let's hope that we in retrospect will be able to say that they used 2012 to build the platform from where they do amazing stuff in the years to come :D
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
  9. kerryprsp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mio_BB View Post
    Let's hope that we in retrospect will be able to say that they used 2012 to build the platform from where they do amazing stuff in the years to come :D
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    My thoughts exactly.
    snowmutt and brmiller1976 like this.
  10. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    First of all, Nokia was releasing phones all the time, therefore I don't really get your meme. There was the Nokia N line, with the N9 at the end, then based on the N9 they released the Lumia 800, later the Lumia 900, and now the recent WP8 phones.

    Second, I realize that in this forum are many people who really love Microsoft. That's good, you are the guys who bring out the good word, who use their free time to write blogs about these products, who help in forums and yes, you rock! But you also have to accept, that there are people who are grumpy and cynic like me.

    I'm not fan of a company or a brand, I use products, and therefore I try to see the good and the bad. You don't have to search for the bad concerning Windows Phone 8, there are hundreds of threads about it in this forum. Better Microsoft apps on iPhone than on Windows Phone is only one example. So, instead of making stupid and condescending comments, you could ask me why I (and most of the customers, I mean look at what is known about sells numbers, and I've had several Windows Phone devices and Windows Mobile before) feel not so euphoric about what Microsoft did in 2012. And we are talking only about 2012.

    What new features had WP8 in comparison to WP7, just for me, the customer, in 2012? Yeah, right, there was nothing that could not have happened in WP7, just not at all. So, they have a great basis to create something big, but they have to do it first.

    Why I am not impressed by the Surface? Look at the heavily subsidized Nexus tablets with great hardware and even more functions and apps and you know why.

    Why I am not impressed by Windows 8? I wrote that in the Windows 8 forum.

    So yes, I think there's a solid foundation, but no, I don't think Microsoft impressed me by what they did in 2012.
    Would it have impressed you more if Microsoft:

    - Released a new service pack for Windows 7 instead of releasing Windows 8?
    - Provided mobile Office suite for Android and iOS instead of releasing WP8?
    - Added a hyper v client to the Nexus 7 instead of creating and releasing the Surface RT?

    See, this the thing I don't get about you so-called "platform agnostic" types when it comes to MS. You complain to anyone who will listen about MS lack of innovation, how uninspired and stodgy Redmond is etc, but when something new comes from Microsoft - something different, the complaints turn to why did they have to change in the first place.

    So what do you want? A start button on Win 8? Cheaper pricing on the Surface? Instagram?

    I'm a Microsoft supporter and adopter because of all the pretty cool things coming out of Redmond lately; but I'm not going to thump my chest about how superior it is (I'll leave that to the Apple fans) because they're not superior. They have a lot of work to do - and hopefully the work will never end.

    But if you are unimpressed with Microsoft, you must certainly be bored to tears with everyone else. That is if you are as impartial as you're trying to portray.
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
  11. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,538 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    I'm a Microsoft supporter and adopter because of all the pretty cool things coming out of Redmond lately; but I'm not going to thump my chest about how superior it is (I'll leave that to the Apple fans) because they're not superior. They have a lot of work to do - and hopefully the work will never end.
    Well, then I don't see why we should argue, we have the same opinion and this is exactly what I wrote.

    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    But if you are unimpressed with Microsoft, you must certainly be bored to tears with everyone else. That is if you are as impartial as you're trying to portray.
    I never said I'm impartial, I'm using Microsoft products and I don't plan to change that. (Not even at work what would make many things easier...) I always write I 'try' to see all sides. Maybe I'm harsher with Microsoft because I like the products and want them to be successful and impress me and other people, that could well be.
    snowmutt likes this.
  12. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,088 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    Well, then I don't see why we should argue, we have the same opinion and this is exactly what I wrote.



    I never said I'm impartial, I'm using Microsoft products and I don't plan to change that. (Not even at work what would make many things easier...) I always write I 'try' to see all sides. Maybe I'm harsher with Microsoft because I like the products and want them to be successful and impress me and other people, that could well be.
    A fair statement. You expect more as a consumer.

    As you should.
    snowmutt likes this.
  13. iHuGi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I love Microsoft products!

    WP is so cool, Windows 7 is awesome, dont have W8 yet but i hear good things... Xbox and Halo are my favourites :D
  14. sdrawkcabII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Yes, Microsoft is very boring, and clearly not innovative.

    /Sarcasm



    Read through the youtube comments; proof that anything Microsoft does is never enough, even if the concept has huge potential for solid, practical use in the near future. Some of the comments of disapproval are completely invalid.
    snowmutt likes this.
  15. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,538 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrawkcabII View Post
    Yes, Microsoft is very boring, and clearly not innovative.
    Microsoft has had always awesome ideas, but only little made it to the market. For example, do you remember the this Kinect WP7 integration they announced so big? Have you ever heard of it since? Yeah right.
  16. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    671 Posts
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Its funny how people can read the same comment and see two different intents behind it.
  17. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,803 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,824 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    I think Microsoft had 2 goals in 2012:

    1) Reinvent itself to compete in the new market.

    2) Get some new horses to market.

    They accomplished both. Great year.

    2013 needs to be a year in which the consumers learn to see them in a new light, huge improvements are made to the new ecosystem, and they make Windows 8 the must have product. That, of course, will help WP8 grow.

    Oh yeah- They need to hit a massive home run with a new XBOX. @sdrawcabl, that is a really, really fun concept....

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 05:34 PM
  2. NOW June 2012, what apps are you STILL wishing for on WP?
    By SEKKDS in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 07:08 PM
  3. What to do for my new phone
    By jdevenberg in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 10:37 AM
  4. Work for Microsoft? Then you're probably a happy camper
    By HeyCori in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2011, 07:12 AM
  5. Idea's for Microsoft
    By astraith in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions