What is Microsoft doing?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft only have around 20% marketshare if you put smartphones/tablets and PC:s togheter..

The MOST inaccurate post in the whole thread.

Windows 8 and WP8 are 3 months old, there are just a few million devices worldwide. It's too early to ask for every app. The platform is starting to gain some traction, the situation will improve in the following months.

I disagree with this "just born" argument. I was happy with this one, when it was WP7. We've waited 2 years and now if each iteration is going to be "born fresh" and if we "give it some time" - I don't see this as a work of a software giant, but only of some school nerds.

Ms could implement a strategy like say a dev needs to have an app but no upfront money, now if the app stays at a high download rate and or a high user rating for (x) amount of time then Ms could lets say, give them some bonus cash or something. Just would need to figure out how much bonus cash.....that would solve the dud apps we get.

They've done about 2 such competitions where they "feature" an app. I might be wrong, but WPC did cover those events.

Last edited by a moderator:

samyaras

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I own a wp7 since its launch. Loved the OS and integration with services. Honestly, I am not worried about the apps.. All I need is good quality games. But that's not happening. I am starting to think that Microsoft is under estimating their own OS. They don't seem to understand its potential. If they cant manage it very well, they can probably sell the OS.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with this "just born" argument. I was happy with this one, when it was WP7. We've waited 2 years and now if each iteration is going to be "born fresh" and if we "give it some time" - I don't see this as a work of a software giant, but only of some school nerds.

From a technical perspective, the "just born" argument is a fact that can't be argued with. You can disagree only by being wrong. What you can do is disapprove of Microsoft's strategy.

The next iteration of WP will likely also be "born fresh", but the implications and incompatibilities will be much smaller than they were between WP7 and WP8. MS has good reasons for taking this approach, they just aren't executing fast enough.

WP8 is what WP7 should have been.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
They've done about 2 such competitions where they "feature" an app. I might be wrong, but WPC did cover those events.
im not talking about featuring any one app but they can if they want. I'm saying do this model for every dev and every app. Because both would win being Ms and the dev, from having great apps. But the bonus money would be a one time pay out because well its a bonus money........... free apps and such already have ads and stuff that bring in revenue. But the bonus money is something for the devs to strive for..... it Ms was to make the cash amount right.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

If you lump smartphones, tablets, desktop PC's and enterprise servers all into one category and call them all computers, then sure, that number might be correct. It's just completely insane and useless to do so. Those devices are sold into different markets with completely different usage models and applications. Some of those markets are mature while others are in their infancy. It's rubbish.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you lump smartphones, tablets, desktop PC's and enterprise servers all into one category and call them all computers, then sure, that number might be correct. It's just completely insane and useless to do so. Those devices are sold into different markets with completely different usage models and applications. Some of those markets are mature while others are in their infancy. It's rubbish.

It is rubbish but likely true. Which is why Windows Phone and Windows 8 on tablet form computers is so important. Android is on many many devices and while they might not be productivity devices, they are consumption devices which Microsoft used to hold the market on. Microsoft need cheap touchscreen tablet PCs to finally succeed. Windows 8 may help them do that where every other recent Windows has failed.

Mark Rozanski

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has onlky 20% of the market .....RIGHT .... and Chrysler won't build Jeeps in China. Which one is false???? ANSWER ... both!

Last edited:

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
No, they not start at 600 000, but they are receiving all the apps, even Microsoft apps/games... it is very lol...
its a matter of bringing services to platform for microsoft. They are a Hardware and Services<< company you cannot expect them to withhold things that can make them money or convert users outlook, bing, xbox, skydrive, office, sharepoint, lync, groupme, windowsphone, windows, servers, these are all things microsoft makes money on, and while ill agree they should focus on their own users first i dont think apps should be withheld from anyone. exclusivity periods maybe, exclusive aspects of certain apps maybe, but not held from eachother else microsoft is no better than google. Google should stop their childish acts and give their users a choice of what platforms to use, what services to use, if people wanna mix and match services Gmail w/ office etc.. they should have the option to do it.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
From a technical perspective, the "just born" argument is a fact that can't be argued with. You can disagree only by being wrong. What you can do is disapprove of Microsoft's strategy.

The next iteration of WP will likely also be "born fresh", but the implications and incompatibilities will be much smaller than they were between WP7 and WP8. MS has good reasons for taking this approach, they just aren't executing fast enough.

WP8 is what WP7 should have been.

Developers follow the money, WP in this moment has more apps than should have given its small market share. There is no chance that WP could compete in apps with iOS or Android, if those platforms return to developers 20 fold income.

Microsoft is now trying a new strategy, WP8 and Windows 8 share the same kernel and many programming interfaces. Microsoft's promise to developers is convergence to a unified platform.
Windows 8 is so big that even with a slow adoption can sell hundreds of millions of licenses, this volume will attract developers. The apps for Windows 8 can be ported to WP at a fraction of the cost, in this stage is more reasonable for Microsoft to invest big money in paying the port to WP. So WP's success is tied to Windows 8 success.

The good news is that both Windows 8 and WP8 are gaining traction, with more devices out there, more apps will come faster.

Other important factor is HTML5, the impact of this technology in the app landscape will be significant. If Microsoft pay money to port applications from iOS to WP, that investment could be lost because for many apps HTML5 will replace native apps and HTML5 apps run on any device. For example, banks, retail, apps that show information, even some games, should go HTML5.

The mobile industry is not consolidated, this is a transition stage, Microsoft can't spend much money if things will change soon.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
And like ltyarbro42 said, Microsoft isn't doing it on purpose. They've been paying devs, paying for commercials, paying for Nokia, paying paying paying since day 1. But money spent doesn't always translate into market share.
They aren't doing enough. WP8 has many, many issues that need to be addressed. I know, diminishing returns, but Microsoft needs to get as big a team as feasible to fix as many as possible in a timely manner. Get their updating situation sorted. If they plan on having updates readied on a quick schedule, like Portico, they need to get it rolled out worldwide within a month or two. Pour a tonne of money into internal game development, fix the broken mess that is Xbox Live on Windows Phone. Invest even more in apps, match all the current best sellers on iOS and Android, but also snag the trending services. I know this is controversial, but Microsoft needs to do it when their platform is as small as it is. The chicken and egg problem still exists, there are many apps and services that are not on Windows Phone - or that have left - due to low demand. Solve the chicken and egg problem, and if the platform takes off, paying off developers will no longer be necessary. Oh, and require timely updates and parity with iOS / Android versions as part of app deals.

Advertise the heck out of Windows Phone. Microsoft's advertising spending is nowhere near where it can be. This is a company that spent $6.2 billion on aQuantive for no reason other than panic and $8 billion on Skype, an acquisition that hasn't seen any material ecosystem benefit. Mobile is where Microsoft needs to be right now. It's more important than an advertising platform and it's more important than snagging a (pretty crappy, if I may say so) communication service. How much is Microsoft spending on marketing Windows Phone? A couple hundred million a year? Well, news flash - Samsung spends $4 billion on advertising, and you bet a huge portion of that is promoting their Galaxy brand. Microsoft needs to step up and match that if it wishes Windows Phone to get the penetration that the Galaxy brand has gotten - which is second only to the iPhone.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Really, what are they doing? I'm getting tired. Less apps than the rest, a long waiting for updates, poor game support...

Sipping rum from coconuts in the Caribbean. No Lie. I'm from the Caribbean and saw Steve and some other executives chilling on the beach. I got an autograph to prove it. I'll find it and upload it.

You actually thought they were focusing on Windows Phone 8? Like doing stuff to make it better? LOL! Now why would they do that??

elibohnert

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
People seem to forget that IOS has been out for like 6 years now.. Did they start at 600 000 apps?
Back when iOS came out Apps were not the thing smartphones were used for, they were used for email and calling and texting. Apple made apps become a must have feature on a phone. If a OS wants to make it has to have a lot of the main apps right away, and not some half par ones. In my opinion BB10 will rise over WP8 because it has a much more loyal user base and they already have almost as WP8 does now, but they might just be junk apps to. We'll have to wait a see.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It is rubbish but likely true. Which is why Windows Phone and Windows 8 on tablet form computers is so important. Android is on many many devices and while they might not be productivity devices, they are consumption devices which Microsoft used to hold the market on. Microsoft need cheap touchscreen tablet PCs to finally succeed. Windows 8 may help them do that where every other recent Windows has failed.

It is and it isn't. There's a categorical strength and weakness in what Goldman Sachs did. Obviously desktops and phones are not comparable, but someone in the developing world they are massively more likely to own a Windows phone than a Windows desktop. Or laptop. I was raised on Windows PCs, while kids these days are raised on iPads. So yes, they are not alike, but one is replacing the other for many people. Desktops will never be dispensable, but they will be owned at substantially lower rates.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It is and it isn't. There's a categorical strength and weakness in what Goldman Sachs did. Obviously desktops and phones are not comparable, but someone in the developing world they are massively more likely to own a Windows phone than a Windows desktop. Or laptop. I was raised on Windows PCs, while kids these days are raised on iPads. So yes, they are not alike, but one is replacing the other for many people. Desktops will never be dispensable, but they will be owned at substantially lower rates.

Agreed.

Intel will discontinue desktop motherboards following Haswell release

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Developers follow the money, ...

I'm not sure why you quoted me, but since you did, I will say I agree with all your statements. The similarities between W8, WRT and WP8 (from a devs point of view) are the main weapon MS will use to fight the app war.

A big push for exclusive games on WP9 will be the other (which I was hoping to see for WP8).

ITGuyinTO

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Wrong ... Apple always had a good SDK, and amazing dev tools, and in their early days the dev relations were great, they always released the SDKs on time ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte