What is Microsoft doing?

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Really, what are they doing? I'm getting tired. Less apps than the rest, a long waiting for updates, poor game support...

I love my Lumia 800, it is beautiful, it works fast, but I really feel "less" than the rest. I was looking for an app for logmein, nothing, for teamviewer? nothing... where are the games? even WP8 is slow getting games...

I will wait some months but Microsoft is not helping at all...

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
YOU ARE RIGHT! Because Microsoft is in total control of all that and they are choosing to flush a multi billion dollar investment down the toilet for ****s and giggles! Geewhiz those guys sure need to get their heads on straight or otherwise we will make yet another post about this!
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It, quite frankly, is less. WP7 users were shunned, any way you cut it - with your Lumia 800, you have the second worst navigation suite on a modern OS (iOS and Android both have background navigation and spoken road names; the worst would be a non-Nokia Windows Phone 7 device) and the worst Skype experience despite Microsoft owning the company (no other platform is unable to receive Skype calls in the background).

danish319

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I so agree with you! I am a WP8 fan but it doesn't look like Microsoft is doing anything to increase it app count or attracts developers....Apple has so many apps because they actually focused and invested a lot money in getting developers to make apps for it. Apple literally had events to showcase the new releases n amount of developer support it has. Microsoft is doing NOTHING on that end...looks like Nokia is doing Microsoft part in increasing the app count in the store! Its SAD...

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You're joking aye?
How long wp8 have been around? Its already being updated. Wp7 getting update is something you should all be thankful for, if it was android you'd be long time forgotten and covered with spiderwebs.
The only issue is lack of apps but again everything requires time to start spinning and it just started spinning with wp8.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No. Developers saw cash, it wasn't Apple doing ****. They don't see cash for wp8 because of the number of users. Get your facts straight.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
People must understand that mobile version of Win8 is just "a plus", not a core business for MS. WP8 is, and will always be, just a spartan and minimalist OS, with little market share. MS will never grow WP adding a lot of features or releasing a lot of updates.. they don't care, they don't need.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I just want to hear something, I want Microsoft don't being so quiet. I don't like iOS and I love metro, I want my phone with more support.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I so agree with you! I am a WP8 fan but it doesn't look like Microsoft is doing anything to increase it app count or attracts developers....

I'm sorry, but WTF.

Apple and Google have never had to pay developers to bring apps to their platform like Microsoft do. Apple and Google have never had to write apps for companies like facebook, Microsoft has. Microsoft is even writing Google apps (youtube) but Google won't allow them to publish it.

Microsoft even went to the effort of re-writing the entire OS, to make it easier to port content from iOS/Android, still nobody bothers. Not only that, Microsoft made sure WP8 was as close as possible to Windows 8, yet even with that, developers can't be bothered.

Litterally the only solution is Microsoft have to keep paying developers to bring their apps to WP8. But whats the point? Microsoft are throwing money around, even throwing money at companies like Rovio (angry birds) results in a sub-par port, which still ends up getting supported much slower than Android/iOS.

I am willing to bet, with all the development costs, and all the money Microsoft are throwing at telcos, Nokia, developers, advertising, etc, i'm certain WP will be oweing Microsoft more than a billion dollars, probably far more. And the problem is, where do they stop?

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
@ op:

well...then wait for the mobile world congress... do you really think that MS would say something really big before the MWC? I don't think so... If they still don't bring some news dealing with new WP8 hardware and updates and so on... then you have my "like" my sir!

henriknergard

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I use WP8 myself (Nokia Lumia 920). But I have read that Microsoft only have around 20% marketshare if you put smartphones/tablets and PC:s togheter.
I dont know if that are correct?

But I think MS should put smartphones as priority no.1 if they will be relevant in the future, especially now when RIM-BlackBerry 10 are around the corner.
For many smartphones/tablets will replace PC:s in many ways.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people forget,

Blackberry 80+ million installed base > Windows Phone 25-30(?) million installed base.

RIM might be losing day-to-day sales but has a much bigger installed base. RIM could leap frog Microsoft if even half of those users jump to BB10. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that developers are looking to take advantage of new BB10 users. I think early numbers for BB10 will be huge (with most of that coming from corporations upgrading from BB7). The question is, will that growth be sustained?

And like ltyarbro42 said, Microsoft isn't doing it on purpose. They've been paying devs, paying for commercials, paying for Nokia, paying paying paying since day 1. But money spent doesn't always translate into market share.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I so agree with you! I am a WP8 fan but it doesn't look like Microsoft is doing anything to increase it app count or attracts developers....Apple has so many apps because they actually focused and invested a lot money in getting developers to make apps for it. Apple literally had events to showcase the new releases n amount of developer support it has. Microsoft is doing NOTHING on that end...looks like Nokia is doing Microsoft part in increasing the app count in the store! Its SAD...

thats incorrect the reason they have so many apps is because early on people gave the iphone (who at the time had no viable competitor) a chance. Thus this immensely motivated developer support of the platform and so apple didnt need to invest anything into people making applications for the platform.
Considering that people seem to shun anything that isnt apple or google its painstakingly obvious that MS RIM Ubuntu Mozilla WebOS are gonna have difficulty taking off when devs dont give them an opprotunity to shine and in basically look at the little picture as opposed to the big picture. The big picture being that if they were to make the sacrifice to make their services available on as many platforms as possible not only would they create strong competition in the mobile division but they would also maximize their own profits, unfortunately people look at the now money and dont look at the could be money. So naturally we end up feeling shafted by microsoft who hasnt done anything but create an enjoyable user interface across a variety of platforms, that work extremely well (besides syncing lol).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft isn't doing it on purpose. They've been paying devs, paying for commercials, paying for Nokia, paying paying paying since day 1. But money spent doesn't always translate into market share.

Exactly!

Microsoft's strategy of paying developers to port apps to WP has always been a terrible idea. Unfortunately, it was also necessary and their only option. However, it shouldn't and won't be an important part of Microsoft's tactics going forward.

In fact, people calling for Microsoft to more actively manage the app-market and pick and choose which apps to finance, should reconsider. We have a name for markets where every development is directed and funded by the state (oops, I mean MS). It doesn't work.

If developers only motivation is to cash in a check from MS, then there is little reason to publish an app that people will want to buy. Uninspired, feature-poor apps that almost never receive updates are the result. Updates are of particular concern: why would anyone spend months developing updates for an app, which couldn't get off the ground without subsidies in the first place?

Microsoft will need an entirely different approach to crack the apps problem. If they continue to play the catch-up game, Microsoft will lose.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 and WP8 are 3 months old, there are just a few million devices worldwide. It's too early to ask for every app. The platform is starting to gain some traction, the situation will improve in the following months.

dootndo2

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The hardware is making its way to the market. As a developer, I'm very interested in getting into app development for WP8 and Windows 8. There is currently NO need in the market as most organizations are not on these platforms yet. Once they do, it will go crazy. Right now it's hobbyists and those that have extra time (or a dedicated business). Plus, it's all new for MS developers. It's going to take some time because as previously mentioned, it's all at once. I have Windows 8 on a tablet and a new Lumia 620 and love them both.

dootndo2

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ms could implement a strategy like say a dev needs to have an app but no upfront money, now if the app stays at a high download rate and or a high user rating for (x) amount of time then Ms could lets say, give them some bonus cash or something. Just would need to figure out how much bonus cash.....that would solve the dud apps we get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3