Acer selling more Google Chrombebooks than Windows 8 laptops

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Those of you following the feud between Acer and Microsoft may remember last August, when Acer leveled criticism at the Windows 8 creator regarding their entry into the hardware market. Acer CEO JT Wang was quoted as pleading with Microsoft to ?think twice? and insisting that the Surface RT would ?create a huge negative impact for the ecosystem and other brands may take a negative reaction.? Yesterday, the drama escalated when Acer President Jim Wong told Bloomberg that the Taipei-based PC maker is having more success with Google?s Chrome OS than Windows 8.

Read more

Uh-Oh: Acer Selling More Google Chromebooks Than Windows 8 Laptops? - Forbes

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
My take from this is that Acer is selling their cheap as s*** products more than their "quality" ones. (Sorry, Asus fan here)

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh look another Forbes article talking negatively about MS.

I'm sure the Chromebook's cheap price has a lot to do with how much they sell.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
All surprises are unexpected. That's the meaning of surprise. If you knew someone was throwing you a surprise party, it would be expected, but it wouldn't be a surprise any longer. Why the **** do I have to explain this? **** it!

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
All surprises are unexpected. That's the meaning of surprise. If you knew someone was throwing you a surprise party, it would be expected, but it wouldn't be a surprise any longer. Why the **** do I have to explain this? **** it!

calm down bro you seem to be taking offense to this article and Acer the company

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
hahaha Chromebooks are the worst thing i?ve ever seen in the pc market... what a useless toy hahaha

how much does that sell per quarter - 1m ? xD

ACER just quit Windows and go elsewhere, dying company.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
its really sad seeing as I sell computers, Some smart people will pay for quality, but most people don't care if its cheap: case in point, at my work we sell an 80$ android tablet and one time I had to show it to a lady. She asks "will it connect to the internet?" and I said
"Yes, but you'll hate it".
"But does it work, I mean I has 1gb Ram, so it must work right?" she replies,
I say "yes, it does in fact work, you will hate using it, its a piece of crap and it will be amazingly slow to the point that you will be so frustrated with it that you will want to chuck it into a wall...". Stunned, she replies."but...but..it has one gb ram, so it must work..."
She didn't get it. That's how I feel about a chrombook. In fact, I would rather buy an android tablet seeing as I think its a better more functional os than chrome OS. I applaud Microsoft for trying to put an end to netbooks and especially apple, I mean the ipad nearly got rid of those horrid creations and now f***ing google wants to bring them back from the grave, man do I hate google...

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You know what? There is a second part to my little rant too. What upsets me about acer is that I feel in the past couple years they have really tried to upscale their brand and they are one of my favorite computer companies at the moment because they offer the best bang for the buck and I think them and ASUS did the best job with the windows 8 launch in general. One thing that Is constantly bugging me about the windows 8 statistics is that everyone is saying good job Microsoft for selling 60 million copies despite declining pc sales. And I can't seem to figure out what declining pc sales means...in the fact that what is a PC? Is it a desktop only, or a laptop? Does my intel atom tablet/laptop that undocks itself count as a PC? Is a convertible a PC? I know and Ipad isn't usually considered a pc, but why isn't it? Is it not a personal computer of some sorts? So does it have to have an x86 processor to be a pc? So the surface wouldn't count then...Or does it have to be able to run Microsoft windows? Or does office make it a PC? By which comparison android/iOS/wp8/Win8/BBOS/Linux are all pcs then cause they can run office 365 in the cloud?

I know that's a lot of questions but nobody can seem to clarify what a PC is now. I do realize that Desktops and Laptops are declining but that's the natural evolution of the way things are going towards tablets and my work is selling more 10" windows 8 tablets than android tablets now. Furthermore, windows tablets didn't really exist (not at least in their current and popular incarnation as they are now...) a year ago. So what does PC sales declining mean exactly? And so if that's the case, is acer really selling more Chromebooks than windows 8 "laptops"? What about tablets/ultrabooks/covertibles, do those count or no? I love statistics...there are only lies, damned lies, and statistics it seems...

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see point of Google OS....it seems you can't have any applications/programs besides those approved/made by google. Much better to get Linux in my view. More freedom.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll never understand why anyone would buy a Chromebook.

I can think of few things I want less than a cloud centered laptop that can only operate a browser and ties me up with Google's tentacles wrapped around my entire life and in every orifice. Sounds like a damn nightmare to me.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You know one thing I also want to know about chrome books: So Microsoft gets in big trouble back in the 90's for putting IE on the OS and had this big giant lawsuit, which I agree with the courts, for anti-competitive practices. So now with win 7, Europe makes them put in a program that lets users get to choose which browser they want to use. So how come on windows phone 7/8, iOS, and android they don't enforce this or theres no lawsuit on anti-competitive practices. What would be really funny is if MS sued google for anti-competitive practices on the chromeOS, but since the OS is just a browser, what would they have to do lol?

But yeah, I see a cloud only based os as stupid. Yes, the cloud is the future, but people still want native applications because lets face it, you still can't always get an internet connection. Not only that, I Would rather go with an android netbook over a chromeos netbook seeing as you could do WAAAAY more on it. I would take Windows RT over this and I don't even like windows RT(not because of the fact that it can't run x86 applications btw!!!)

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll never understand why anyone would buy a Chromebook.

I can think of few things I want less than a cloud centered laptop that can only operate a browser and ties me up with Google's tentacles wrapped around my entire life and in every orifice. Sounds like a damn nightmare to me.

Because they're incredibly cheap, and many people don't use much more than a browser anymore. Seems pretty straight-forward to me. Wouldn't be my choice either, but they obviously have a place in the market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99