Survey says 200 million workers want windows 8 tablets not ipads

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
According to some research company...

Good news for Microsoft: 200 million information workers want Windows tablets, a report from Forrester claimed Monday, quite a few more than the 900,000 Surface RT tablets that IDC estimated have already been sold into the channel.

If Forrester's numbers truly reflect reality, they indicate a huge pent-up demand for the Surface Pro, which goes on sale this month. The report concludes that both Apple and Microsoft will go at each other's throats to win knowledge workers to their respective camps, riding the wave of the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) trend. And believe it or not, those workers want Windows tablets like the Surface more than they want iPads.

200 Million Workers Want Windows 8 Tablets, Not iPads – ReadWrite

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Did they ask 200 million workers? ;)

I can't find a source, so unfortunately I can't really rant at how stupid these surveys are... so I'll just quote a comment from the linked page (without confirming what it says).

I understand Forrester has a business to run.
But isn't this the same Forrester Research that said the iPhone wouldn't succeed in businesses?
Isn't it the same Forrester that said Google TV was going to be a success?
I know no one can predict the future but it can't hurt to take these services with a pound of salt.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Did they ask 200 million workers? ;)

I can't find a source, so unfortunately I can't really rant at how stupid these surveys are... so I'll just quote a comment from the linked page (without confirming what it says).

Well, not exactly, from the link:

"The strongest argument for the legitimacy of the data is the sample size of 9,766 information workers that Forrester polled."

Lol, 200 million. Why not 200 billion ? If they're pulling numbers out of the air, why not pull biiiiiiiig ones.

Sheesh, another loaded survey. Loaded potatoes at least taste good.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
@Chregu

I'm with you on the number of stupid surveys out there, which is why I opened with "According to some research company..."

Like you, I'm not willing to research this companies track record, but it could be argued that the "iPhone wouldn't succeed in business" part is somewhat true. I guess it depends on your definition of success and business for that matter. I work in IT and I see plenty of people in my company with iPhones and iPads. However, none of those people are really using them for anything work related other than email (which any device these days can handle). There is a huge desire for mobile devices (tablets mostly) to access our information systems, but Apple products just don't seem to be a good fit in our enterprise environment for a number of reasons. This may not be true in all industries, but in my industry it is. There is a lot of time and money being spent by people in my department to bridge the gap and it still feels awkward and high maintenance. The same goes for Android devices. Apple makes great consumer products, but they have nothing on the enterprise side.

As far as the survey though, I don't really take the "200 million" number too seriously as it's an extrapolated number. Here is what I found interesting though. They surveyed ~9,700 business workers (they call them "information workers" in the survey) in several countries. Of those in the sample 32% said they were interested in a Windows tablet for their next tablet compared to only 26% for Apple and 12% for Android. These percentages are from the actual raw survey data not any extrapolation or overly optimistic prediction. I'm honestly surprised that there is that level of interest already for Windows 8 tablets over Apple/Android. I have no doubt that Windows 8 tablets will work well in enterprise environments and be very successful everywhere over the next few years, but I didn't expect the general business population to show such interest at this point. I really didn't expect the level of interest to be competitive much less exceed the established brands.

Last edited:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Lol, 200 million. Why not 200 billion ? If they're pulling numbers out of the air, why not pull biiiiiiiig ones.

Sheesh, another loaded survey. Loaded potatoes at least taste good.

I agree that is a big leap and it would be very easy to be off by a lot ... like give or take 200 million :) . However, from a statistical perspective a sample size of 9,700 is quite large and more than enough to get fairly accurate percentages (assuming the survey was done in an unbiased way). The 200 million number probably comes from applying those percentages to the estimated number of people working in business positions in developed nations or something to that effect. So I don't think they are making things up, but there is plenty of room for error too when extrapolating the percentages into global numbers. Anyway, the percentages from the sample were interesting on their own imho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb