- 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM #26
I wouldn't say people are over reacting. people bought high end Microsoft devices and expect to be priority... I understand and agree with publishing/releasing services on other OS's for the business BUT at least expect the same if not a step ahead. I really don't think MS has a Team dedicated to WP.
Love the OS but definitely tired of making excuses for this OS and it's been the same since the launch of WP7.
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM #27
- 712 Posts
To do this, knowing how the tech world and WP users would react is insane and shows a high level of incompetence.
MS better get their act together soon. I'll continue to use Windows but if I have to walk away from WP I will. At least its clear Apple has a major focus and care factor with the iPhone. It is very clear they strive for the best and then some. I want to see the same from MS but I'm not seeing it.
This OS has a long way to go and this next update better bring A LOT of improvement, fixes, and some new features. Not all of us are going to continue to wait and hope that MS will show they are serious and can get their act together.
- 02-15-2013, 10:10 PM #30
People really need to actually read the coverage and chill out. It is not something that has been "released" for Android, IOS, and Mac's. It is a beta test that has enabled a function already included in the respective apps. Now what is different about Windows and Windows Phone 8? On the Windows front, Microsoft is in the process of replacing Messenger with Skype. Anything that will happen with Windows will not see the light of day until after that transition is complete. Skype is morphing on Windows from app to quasi OS level (formerly Windows Live) component. Why update a Windows app when the entire situation is in flux? Windows Phone 8, on the other hand, wasn't even out when this initiative started in Skype. It will undoubtedly come in a future release but my bet is not until after the Q1 OS update. Regardless of which way they go though they can't win with those inclined to whine. Enable a beta function in essentially a beta app in a new OS and all you will hear on the internet is about how it doesn't work properly; it crashed my phone; etc.. Don't release it and the same people will whine they have been left out. If people were willing to accept the fact that the apps for IOS and Android are robust and the platforms have been around for quite some time, and that the Mac app will sit on top of the OS (rather than having any level of integration) the logic should be obvious.
- 02-16-2013, 05:21 AM #31
As CFO has clearly outlined in one of his recent interviews, the success of WP is "expected" by popularity of Windows 8 and Windows RT; I wouldn't expect massive efforts to make WP better. The only plan right now from Microsoft is invest little in WP, but make Windows 8 and Windows RT popular like Windows XP. This will make customers notice WP eventually as an additional offering that has Windows on it. Anyone who wants to consistently fool themselves by thinking that WP is the future of Microsoft can carry on by whining how Microsoft is doing nothing to push it's own platform because it doesn't want to push in the first place. WP isn't that big a thing for Microsoft as it's Windows 8, Windows RT and Enterprise softwares are. Neither was Windows Mobile.
..and in case WP's current plan fails, there is no plan B for how to invest or push this mobile platform further.Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.
Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
Want to make Windows Phone better? Let it stay unique?
Let it be nicer than anything out there? - PLEASE VOTE THESE
- 02-16-2013, 08:15 AM #32
Wow the jump ship monkeys are out in force again.
Seems everything MS does is a lose-lose situation for some people. As stephen_az mentioned if they bring it to WP8 first and its buggy MS sucks - if something comes out first on another platform first MS sucks.
It makes business sense to release on iOS and Android first. Not sure if you've all heard about it but they are the top two dominant phone os's with the biggest userbase The video voicemail is in beta with a 20 video limit before you have to buy skype credits.
Also WP8 is still in its infancy and alot of the WP7.5 hardware doesnt even have front facing cameras. What a great idea that is. Come to windows phone first and immediately remove the function for video voicemails from over half your userbase thats using WP7.5 & 7.8
Do you think that 20 videos free limit will aply once the service is out of beta?
Will make a bet that it gets reduced to something like 5 free before you get hit with charges. Its all about making money at the end of the day.
Will make you another bet.
WP8 users with skype baked into the OS will get a much bigger limit on free video voicemails and tighter intergration with skype on windows 8
02-16-2013, 09:27 AM #33
- 458 Posts
- 02-16-2013, 09:43 AM #34
1.What use is video voicemail on PC?
2. I replaced messenger with skype months ago dont see how its confusing or messy - you log into skype with your messenger/live login then pair it with your skype account - simples
3. Its supposed to be an always on mobile messenger why would you want to logout? - theres options for setting yourself to unavailable if you dont want notifications. And i havent found it to be buggy or stupid works perfectly well on my phone.
02-16-2013, 10:29 AM #35
- 458 Posts
2) it's messy: why there are messaging app and Skype app on windows 8? Can I see my Skype contacts on messaging app? Are they really merging or just another client to access the messenger contact list? Or if they are merging, why I cannot see my messenger contacts on my iPhone's Skype app? What happens to 3rd party apps like IM+?
3) because people may want to switch account (they provided an option to login, right?), because they provided that option on iOS and windows and mac (and android I guess) and Skype are not "supposed" to be always on on iOS and Android, right? What's the point here? If people want to switch account on windows phone, they need to uninstall the app first - and if this logic continues, in the future people need to hard reset their phone to switch Skype account if skype is baked into OS (and the stupid restore of windows phone makes hard reset so painful).
- 02-16-2013, 10:46 AM #36
2.ok fair point. If your still using messaging and 3rd party apps agree its not great. If you only use Skype its fine.
3. ok fair point again didn't think of it like that. Maybe if they add an option to integrate more than one Skype account? Would reduce the need to log in and out solving the problem of it being baked into wp8
02-16-2013, 07:34 PM #38
- 12 Posts
I have the skype app on my focu s works ok ,have not tried the video part yet but audio wise it just as good if not better than the computer
I can understand windows applying more support to the status quo. But in business would it not be better to have your own phones work better than the rest
so more people buy and use your product. Its a catch 22 definitely. Windows does need some catching up though. Forget windows 9, 10 etc just make the ones you have now work
beyond expectation. The backup of the phone is a joke though compared to crack berry .Just my .02
02-27-2013, 10:43 PM #39
- 10 Posts
You can add AT&T to that list; they've deliberately made promises and broke them too not once, but twice. I had understood that Skype was to be baked into Windows Phone 8. There is no perfect VoIP solution for the Windows Phone platform I am aware of. I'm currently on WP7.8 with a HSPL HTC Titan and it burns me up that I have to run Skype "on top" and not in background and the same goes for not being able to use a bluetooth keyboard. What burns me up the most is why there is this mindset to screw with their customer base who have been loyal through thick and thin...
- By scield in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 7Last Post: 12-27-2012, 09:49 AM
- By 1220Ac in forum Phone WarsReplies: 30Last Post: 12-02-2012, 01:10 PM
- By tebugg in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 0Last Post: 11-10-2012, 09:31 PM
- By Naturewriter in forum HTC TITANReplies: 13Last Post: 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
- By martin_strahilovski in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 3Last Post: 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM