Will WP8 devices get WP9 (or Blue)

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
This is just entirely wrong.

You can't run apps cross platform because of hardware differences between Intel x86 & ARM ARMv7 technology. This is why Microsoft made 3 versions of Windows! ...Windows 8 for x86/x86-64 Intel technology and Windows RT for ARMv7 32-bit ARM technology.

In the future there be Windows RT64 for ARMv8 64-bit technology.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You can't run apps cross platform because of hardware differences between Intel x86 & ARM ARMv7 technology.

And yet, Visual Studio compiles applications (natively, I might add) for all three architectures. Sorry, but you don't have any idea what you're talking about here.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
And yet, Visual Studio compiles applications (natively, I might add) for all three architectures. Sorry, but you don't have any idea what you're talking about here.

So your telling me that you can run all x86 Windows 8 software on your Windows RT device? Or run all Windows RT Apps on Windows 8 PC?

If this were true there would be no need for Windows RT (R-RISC T-Technology)

I'm not saying that software can't work together but the programming language is very different from RISC to CISC in how it's processed.

To say ARMv7 is the same as x86 architecture is wrong.

Now can use tricks to emulate apps and software under Visual Studio. Yes your right about this part!

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
i am hoping that WP8 will not be ditched like they did with WP7.5, there was good justification from MS about why they had to ditch WP 7.5. WP8 customers will be ditched again IF MS decided to use X86 processor, it might be a while before Intel can compete with ARM on power consumption, if MS decides to change architecture again in couple of years then WP platform is screwed, we can forget about Windows Mobile Platform. Even if X86 is better than ARM it is major inconvenience for booth customers & app developers.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I own a WP8 ATIV S smartphone based on ARMv7 32-bit technology and knowing the future is ARMv8 64-bit technology, the future of Windows Phone is clear!

Good thing the move from ARMv7 to ARMv8 starting in 2015. Ill almost get 3 years out of my ATIV S?

The sad thing I here is there might be a Windows 8 Phone or call it Windows Phone 8 Pro? That right x86 Windows Phone!

Now I don't know if it is x86 or x86-64 hardware depends on the Atom they use.

The upcoming Intel Atom "Bay Trail" is a ARMv7 killer SoC Intel Processor with less power than ARMv7 Snapdragon 800 series. We will see? 😎

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
The weird part about the upcoming "Blue" is I believe it's a SP1 (Service Pack 1) for unifying Windows 8, Windows RT, WP8. But then found some saying it's a new NT 6.3 kernel? That would mean all new Windows altogether?

Would Microsoft kill off Windows 8 in the first year?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's not emulated. It's native (managed) code. You write the application once and it compiles to run on all architectures. That's why 99% of all the WinRT applications run on ARM, x86, and x64. No, you can't run desktop software on Windows RT, but in many cases, that's more of a matter of it being locked down. Pure .NET applications will run perfectly on a jailbroken device.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Are we still doing this? Microsoft themselves said they are going to support for AT LEAST 1.5 years a platform.

I think it's only a rumor that there is a new NT 6.3 Kernel but if true 9 months after Windows 8 on market now there's a new Windows? And the 18 months guaranty isn't much considered that we already used 4 months! What 14 to go?

So much hate for Windows 8 I don't get it? I just hope BLUE update is only a unified service pack 1 for Windows 8, Windows RT, WP8 only we hope to fix our eco platform we already have and not start a new one!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
after getting 7.8 update think im going to upgrade to android

Beautiful idea, move to an OS where 90% of devices get no updates of note whatsoever.

I'll admit MS must do a better job, but at least they have an update policy. Android represents the lawless hinterlands in comparison, you just buy a device and hope for the best.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Least they might do updates that actually make your phone work better not worse!!!!!!!!

Yep, they might do one, or they might not. It might work better, or it might not... I've never noticed problems with the bits from Google. It the OEM's that stink.

sparksy

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep, they might do one, or they might not. It might work better, or it might not... I've never noticed problems with the bits from Google. It the OEM's that stink.

.[FONT=&quot]been with windows phone for nearly two year, was looking forward to getting 920 in may and probably still will. but 7.8 has been so long coming my phone is now sluggish, problems with live tiles so disappointing. My worry is 18 months into new contract same thing will happen with windows9[/FONT]

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
.been with windows phone for nearly two year, was looking forward to getting 920 in may and probably still will. but 7.8 has been so long coming my phone is now sluggish, problems with live tiles so disappointing. My worry is 18 months into new contract same thing will happen with windows9

Yeah, you're certainly not the only one with that worry. I understand where that is coming from, but I don't think it is justified. However, that is somewhat off topic. It is being discussed here.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I did. However, that has absolutely no influence on whether or not WP8 devices will get updated to WPk6.3 (WP with kernel version 6.3). If Microsoft wants that to run on current WP8 devices, it can.

No but it tells you what BLUE is about. And if the new NT 6.3 Windows Blue OS comes that means the big BLUE update is just a compatibility update to the new OS. So now how I see it is Windows 8, Windows RT, WP8 will get BLUE OS compatibility update!

So yes Blue update for WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion