Windows Blue

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
What the **** is it? I thought it was just going to be a bunch of incremental updates. Is it a new operating system? Is it a complete overhaul of Windows 8?

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
What the **** is it? I thought it was just going to be a bunch of incremental updates. Is it a new operating system? Is it a complete overhaul of Windows 8?

I hope it's a update unifying service pack 1 for Windows 8, Windows RT, WP8 to update & fix the eco platform they have now!

But I also herd a rumor that BLUE is a new Windows NT 6.3 Kernel which means there is a NEW Windows platform. I have seen pictures of this but could of been faked. They told us that we are guaranteed 18 months with 4 months already used leaves 14 to go?

Microsoft not saying anything so tight lipped about the subject, we better hope it's not a new NT 6.3 Kernel!

Why so much hate for Windows 8? And we know at this point BLUE is the future fix or fixes for metro platform.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So its a single OS update unifying Windows 8, RT, and WP8? So technically, after our WP8 Portico update, we may see Blue, which will be rolled out to 8 and RT as well?

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
So this windows "blue", its a multi platform thing then. Not just WP8?

From the rumor it says a new NT 6.3 Kernel means that there's going to be a new Windows! 😒

Again it's still a rumor!

I don't want another new Windows ...9 or Blue?

Blue better be a Unified Service Pack 1 for Windows 8, Windows RT, WP8 To fix and update what they already have.

The problem is there's NO information official from Microsoft which is troubling for us people that just bought NT 6.2 Windows 8 and now rumor NT 6.3 wtf....😒

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
From the rumor it says a new NT 6.3 Kernel means that there's going to be a new Windows! 

Again it's still a rumor!

I don't want another new Windows ...9 or Blue?

Blue better be a Unified Service Pack 1 for Windows 8, Windows RT, WP8 To fix and update what they already have.

The problem is there's NO information official from Microsoft which is troubling for us people that just bought NT 6.2 Windows 8 and now rumor NT 6.3 wtf....

Why would a new kernel be bad? I mean Windows 8 can still run legacy software from previous version (Vista, 7, etc.). I would think that Blue would still be backwards compatible with legacy and Modern apps.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
NT 6.0 Windows Vista
NT 6.1 Windows 7
NT 6.3 Windows Blue or 9

NT 7.0 Future

Because making NT 6.3 now is putting Windows 8 to death. Microsoft put all there effort in the new NT 6.3 Kernel instead of updating and fixing NT 6.2! Microsoft still working on SP2 for Windows 7.....there to spread out...it's very frustrating...

I have been a Windows user since Windows 3.11 For Workgroup.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The ulimate goal is to have windows scale across all size devices with 3 interfaces: the Legacy Desktop, Metro Tiles, and Phone (small tiles). For Xbox and Enterprise they need rich multi monitor support and support for gaming devices with Smart Glass and common notifications.

It's not enough to share files via SkyDrive devices need to share monitors and multiple windows in many ways including a remote xBOX session and a local session of Windows 8 concurrently. Most of its rumored to be collaborative improvements between devices, 10 years ago it would be a Service Pack. Sp1. Also to include Windows Explorer 11 and More Bing search integration to allow more consistent voice commands . We won't see the whole eco system until November when xBox is ready for order and the next crop of phones and tablets hit teh streets with the 64 bit Atoms and Haswell processors.

Maybe we see something in April as its rumored Microsft will show off the new Xbox to undermine sales of the new Samsung TV/Android Box. Its all but guaranteed that June will see xBox demos for E3 andt the consumer preview will be out for Blue. Then therest the Devleopr Build Conference held the end of October where the whole system will be in action inlcuding Phone Blue which will be nearing release with the NEw Phones much like Portico was.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
NT 6.0 Windows Vista
NT 6.1 Windows 7
NT 6.3 Windows Blue or 9

NT 7.0 Future

Because making NT 6.3 now is putting Windows 8 to death. Microsoft put all there effort in the new NT 6.3 Kernel instead of updating and fixing NT 6.2! Microsoft still working on SP2 for Windows 7.....there to spread out...it's very frustrating...

I have been a Windows user since Windows 3.11 For Workgroup.

You make it sound like as soon as Blue is released, Windows 8 is dead in the water and can no longer move forward in the same way WP8 is not backward compatible with WP7. I don't see it happening.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
You make it sound like as soon as Blue is released, Windows 8 is dead in the water and can no longer move forward in the same way WP8 is not backward compatible with WP7. I don't see it happening.

Not dead...yet but with all eyes on a New OS there be less support for older OS!

Microsoft still has to finish up SP2 for Windows 7 and here I thought BLUE would be an awesome SP1 for Windows 8 & Windows RT, WP8?

The way I see it now is Microsoft is bring out a new OS with update's to other OS Windows 8, Windows RT, WP8 for compatibility support for the new OS? ...looks like a different picture then Microsoft would have us believe.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Ignore it ninjaap. It's BS. He/She doesn't understand the issue at all.

According to Paul Thurtott and Mary Jo Folley, "Windows Blue" is the project name for an update to W8/W8RT and WP. The stated project goal is to "unify" those operating systems. However, that is often misunderstood. In that context, "unify" means they want to offer a similar feature set and a more consistent UI across all of those operating systems, on smartphones, tablets and laptops/desktops. In no way does it mean that those operating systems will all get "rolled into one". In a recent podcast, Mary mentioned that WP8 Blue has fallen behind schedule, meaning it is likely to be released somewhat later than W8/W8RT Blue.

What should we expect? That is still all very vague. I expect seamless synching across all devices to be a big part of Windows Blue. For example, if you add a bookmark to IE on your laptop, it will show up on all your other devices as well. Same for RSS feeds, search and browser history, latest Skype calls, etc. This was the promise for WP8, but from what I understand, fulfilling that promise is what Windows Blue is about. Take this with a grain of salt though, because it's just my best guess.

Edit: There is absolutely no technical reason why WP8 Blue must necessarily fracture the WP ecosystem, in the way the move from WP7 to WP8 did. That doesn't mean it can't. It just means it doesn't necessarily have to (kernel version etc. is completely irrelevant).

If you have any other specific questions I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Last edited:

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah......so explain how the new NT 6.3 Blue fits in? Microsoft saying one thing doing another with so many promises on the table made for all of us?

I love Windows 8 & WP8 I understand unifying all Windows eco system but with the new NT 6.3 Kernel? 😒

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Ignore it ninjaap. It's BS. He/She doesn't understand the issue at all.

According to Paul Thurtott and Mary Jo Folley, "Windows Blue" is the project name for an update to W8/W8RT and WP. The stated project goal is to "unify" those operating systems. However, that is often misunderstood. In that context, "unify" means they want to offer a similar feature set and a more consistent UI across all of those operating systems, on smartphones, tablets and laptops/desktops. In no way does it mean that those operating systems will all get "rolled into one". In a recent podcast, Mary mentioned that WP8 Blue has fallen behind schedule, meaning it is likely to be released somewhat later than W8/W8RT Blue.

What should we expect? That is still all very vague. I expect seamless synching across all devices to be a big part of Windows Blue. For example, if you add a bookmark to IE on your laptop, it will show up on all your other devices as well. Same for RSS feeds, search and browser history, latest Skype calls, etc. This was the promise for WP8, but from what I understand, fulfilling that promise is what Windows Blue is about. Take this with a grain of salt though, because it's just my best guess.

Edit: There is absolutely no technical reason why WP8 Blue must necessarily fracture the WP ecosystem, in the way the move from WP7 to WP8 did. That doesn't mean it can't. It just means it doesn't necessarily have to (kernel version etc. is completely irrelevant).

If you have any other specific questions I'll be glad to try and answer them.

This seems more sense to me. But where did the rumors of paying for Blue and future updates come from?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Oh yeah......so explain how the new NT 6.3 Blue fits in? Microsoft saying one thing doing another with so many promises on the table made for all of us?

I love Windows 8 & WP8 I understand unifying all Windows eco system but with the new NT 6.3 Kernel? 

I hear what you're saying, but I still don't understand why NT 6.3 Kernel would break anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb