The other "Microsofts" of the tech world

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is widely known for a few key products. You all probably know them; Windows, Office, Xbox, email. But the true amount of Microsoft products & services is far reaching and often times greatly underestimated. Things like POS machines, IT consulting, servers, computer peripherals, book publishing, etc etc. Profits aside, what other tech companies off such a wide variety of products and services? The first one that comes to mind is, of course, Google. What others would you add?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I know they have java but I have no idea what else they do. All I know is I don't like their CEO. >.<

They sell a DBMS (database management system) + services. The most popular DBMS in the enterprise space. It directly competes with MS' SQL Server. That, the fact that both companies earn their money in the enterprise space, and Oracle's ownership of the Java platform, makes them one of MS' more dangerous competitors. Much more so than Apple.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow, they're huge. They're amount of assets and equity is incredible... but I still don't like their CEO. :grin:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Apple only has a handful of products. They are very successful products, but not very diverse. All of their eggs are in one basket so to speak.

Last I heard, Oracle was the second largest software company in the world (MS was first). Yes, Oracle is huge, but their primary market is enterprise software/services so most consumers haven't heard of them even though they power a lot of the services people use every day.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Apple has a market cap that would combine Microsoft and a bunch of those other companies together. Iphone revenue alone exceeds Microsoft's entire annual revenue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3