Microsoft's Mobile Comeback Is Not Happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can you even call that an article?

A couple of sentences of opinion with a couple of graphs pinched from somewhere else.

My 3 year old girl could probably do a better job.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
almost expected to land on BGR's page. couple quick thoughts

#1. Android must be in disaster as its lost market share as well.
#2. It takes time and I like what I have seen from Windows, a couple more big name apps and get a flagship phone on verizon and I think they will gain momentum!

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It's still early days. It's a new and yet to mature platform and the jury's out. As you say, more big name apps, more flagship phones and importantly, expedient and value adding OS updates. Who knows where M$'s mobile position might be then?

Madmik303

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
People are expecting wp8 to rule over night, Its only been 5 months and its been a strong start. Trust me MS are in it for the long run even if they only cater for 3rd or 4th place.

MinnesotaSteve

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not surprising. We'll see by the end of the year were they are at.

Microsoft's strategy has always been to keep plugging along until the competition trips. I don't think that is going to work with mobile.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Not surprising. We'll see by the end of the year were they are at.

Microsoft's strategy has always been to keep plugging along until the competition trips. I don't think that is going to work with mobile.

Why wouldn't it work with mobile?

MS doesn't necessarily wait for others to trip. It only appears that way.

MS just keeps chugging along and steadily improves.

Most of the time, successful companies get to the point where they become complacent. The risk of innovation is outweighed by the success of what they currently have. When that happens, MS passes them up.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time, successful companies get to the point where they become complacent. The risk of innovation is outweighed by the success of what they currently have. When that happens, MS passes them up.

Hmm... that sounds exactly like Apple right about now.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... that sounds exactly like Apple right about now.

It sure does. Also, Google seems to be more interested in shutting down and breaking their own services than improving products. If Apple continues to stagnate, Google continues to deteriorate, and MS continues to innovate, then the traditional MS strategy will probably be very effective.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
The difference between today and when Android/Ios had their breakthrough is: Competition.

The smartphone-market today is filled with okay competitors... It is impossible to have a breakthrough at the rate Apple and Google had when they got their systems on the market since the market back then considered smartphones to be a business-tool and not a gaming/app-platform. Microsoft is in it for the long run, and they will gain momentum... But it is alot harder to drive momentum when all consumers believes the platform they have today is the only platform that can do A or B.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Is it really necessary for WP8 to be the #1 OS for us users to have a quality experience? Personally, as much as I'd like to see more people with WP, WP isn't for everyone. There is more than enough business for WP, iOS and Android, and even RIM, when it comes to the emerging markets and first time smartphone users. As long as MSFT matures the OS and adds enough apps, it will do just fine. I'd rather an app store filled with 300k quality apps than an app store filled with 1 million apps with only 200k really worth a damn.

The worst thing MSFT can do is sit on their hands and not innovate by maturing the OS, a la RIM circa 2007-2010.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not a race. Android is king at releasing all these updates while at the same time, leaving some of their customers behind ala fragmentation. I hate that word and it is so cliche but it's really true. Now the same thing could be said for Wp7/Wp8 but the reality is, they wanted Wp8 to be on a unified architecture with their other software so as much as I hate it, it made sense. Android OTOH, has all these manufacturers releasing skins for their own devices, ruining the pure vanilla Android experience (unless rom'd), and pissing off an entire subset of users at each turn who do get 4.1.3.1.4 and those who are stuck on 4.1.3.1.3 etc.

Personally, I honestly don't care if WP is ever number one because the only place to go is down and you think the negative or biased journalism is there now, wait until WP is at the top and we'll have nothing but doom and gloom every single day and journalists actually wishing for the death of WP.

Just give me a few good games for time wasters, fill in the holes with a few solid "programs" (not apps darn it, I freaking hate that word and developer=programmer), and we're golden as far as I'm concerned. The reason why WP8 is exciting, is because it isn't mainstream and not everyone has it. Much like the original Droid and original iPhone used to be before they got so popular.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what the rest of the world is doing with different os's and phones.

here's the linked graph:
microsoft-market-chart-feb13-2x.gif

does anyone have numbers/ratios for other consumer provinces that matter to add to this ?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
People are expecting wp8 to rule over night, Its only been 5 months and its been a strong start. Trust me MS are in it for the long run even if they only cater for 3rd or 4th place.

it has been a solid start! All 1 has 2 do is look at tha numbers. In certain markets M$ is up nearly 200%! I call THAT a solid start;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos