Why is Microsoft so slow at fixing issues?

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
This question makes me think about windows phone's future. Windows phone has a lot of issues and microsoft is just watching. Like they had all the market share, they do nothing. xbox music has many issues, homescreen has many too. I dont even talk about the missing features. Im starting to think if Microsoft doesnt want to sell more and Im afraid for windows phone's future. Developers doesn't even care of the OS and this makes me sad. This is the reason why I still cant decide which phone to buy. And Im buying one today.. I hope some day Microsoft starts to push updates and fixes fast like apple. What do you think about the future of wp?

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
There are two issues with MS updates the first which is far lesser is that they don't have the same authority with carriers as Apple does l so they can't just send out updates as they please and the carriers will fall in line and release them. The other issue is MS's history as a company is based on longer development cycles and bigger releases. It has seemed like they have been trying to streamline their update process and release schedules, but it is really hard for such a gigantic company to fundamentally change their business strategy. Old habits die hard, and corporate habits die harder. Hopefully with the forthcoming "Windows Blue" updates we will start to see this strategy come to fruition.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
There are two issues with MS updates the first which is far lesser is that they don't have the same authority with carriers as Apple does l so they can't just send out updates as they please and the carriers will fall in line and release them. The other issue is MS's history as a company is based on longer development cycles and bigger releases. It has seemed like they have been trying to streamline their update process and release schedules, but it is really hard for such a gigantic company to fundamentally change their business strategy. Old habits die hard, and corporate habits die harder. Hopefully with the forthcoming "Windows Blue" updates we will start to see this strategy come to fruition.

I hope Blue fixes everything. thanks for sharing.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the same as the op, there are many missing features/fixes that have been requested for a long time in the MS suggestion box but nothing has been done till now.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Don't want to excuse MS for being slow but we don't really know what is going on behind the scenes. Anyone who has done any kind of programming work will tell you that sometimes the most simplest of additions to a piece of software can require a whole lot of coding and testing. Yeah MS is a big company with thousands of employees but it can still take time. Just because they are slow doesn't mean that they don't care.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't want to excuse MS for being slow but we don't really know what is going on behind the scenes. Anyone who has done any kind of programming work will tell you that sometimes the most simplest of additions to a piece of software can require a whole lot of coding and testing. Yeah MS is a big company with thousands of employees but it can still take time. Just because they are slow doesn't mean that they don't care.

Yeah they do a lot of testing so we get a lot of issues..

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is no excuse for being slow on fixes, or perhaps not willing to address ongoing issues which date from WP7.X like the usage of proper Qualcomm CDMA coding to all the CDMA world rather than push China Mobile's standard (which is intentionally broken in order to meet Chinese government ruling).

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
While some of the reasons they're slow are valid, it doesn't excuse at least releasing simple fixes to common problems. They can manage to roll out fixes to Windows itself smartly enough, and the Phone should also have a constant stream system of updating. Thankfully Nokia sometimes picks up the slack here.

Still, frustrating as it is, for me the two main alternatives don't appeal, so i'm planning to stick with Windows Phone regardless. But please..Microsoft, can you pick up the pace a bit.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This question makes me think about windows phone's future. Windows phone has a lot of issues and microsoft is just watching. Like they had all the market share, they do nothing. xbox music has many issues, homescreen has many too. I dont even talk about the missing features. Im starting to think if Microsoft doesnt want to sell more and Im afraid for windows phone's future. Developers doesn't even care of the OS and this makes me sad. This is the reason why I still cant decide which phone to buy. And Im buying one today.. I hope some day Microsoft starts to push updates and fixes fast like apple. What do you think about the future of wp?

Windows Phone doesn't have many issues. If it does, feel free to list them.

There are missing features, but that is entirely different to an issue/bug.

Microsoft have development cycles and add features periodically. Recently more frequently than Apple.

Your post does sound like someone commenting on Windows Phone without having one.

**MOD EDIT: Please refrain from calling someone a troll**

Last edited by a moderator:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
NOt sure what this is all about, fix issues? Like a software bug, performance improvement, general fixes, received 3 since launch for my 920.

Are you saying update missing features? That isn't a fix, that is adding features. Two different things.

What is slow? every month, every 3 months, every six months, every year? doesn't matter what the time frame is, most will complain anyway. You think MS will come out with OS updates every 3 months or something? Do the other platforms do that? If so, you should probably go there.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i'm curious...what this people consider "fast" and "slow" updates? lol

and i haven't really found bugs on WP (so far), just missing features that we all expect will be adressed in the next major update, windows blue!

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Many people has the live tile stopping problem and many problems with xbox music (duplicate songs etc.) and some of people has freeze problems (that doesnt belong to nokia because htc has it too). the main problem i was talking about is the freeze&restart problem.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Might as well add my 2 cents...even though I own a Lumia, it's not selling so it's been EOL'd after only 5 months...so I nor anyone else who has the Nokia Lumia 810 will not be getting any updates (this is been stated by Nokia, who puts the blame on T-Mobile).

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Many people has the live tile stopping problem and many problems with xbox music (duplicate songs etc.) and some of people has freeze problems (that doesnt belong to nokia because htc has it too). the main problem i was talking about is the freeze&restart problem.

I haven't seen a freeze or restart on my 8X since portico. Portico resolved about 95% of the initial bugs with WP8. Really the only issue that still exists in WP is the other storage issue and a couple OEM issues like the SIM card error on the 8X

Might as well add my 2 cents...even though I own a Lumia, it's not selling so it's been EOL'd after only 5 months...so I nor anyone else who has the Nokia Lumia 810 will not be getting any updates (this is been stated by Nokia, who puts the blame on T-Mobile).

MS has stated that all WP8 phones will be supported for at least 18 months. Where did you see something of the contrary?

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They are without a doubt moving way too slowly in getting updates out. It's frustrating, but I do still love my phone.

This basically.
MS are playing catch up. As a result, they need to work harder and quicker at rolling out updates than Apple and Google.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
MS has stated that all WP8 phones will be supported for at least 18 months. Where did you see something of the contrary?

Go look into what has transpired with the what I'm calling the phone formerly known as the Lumia 810. Since the EOL announcement, there hasn't been a clear definitive statement by Nokia or T-Mobile reinforcing MSFT'S "18 month software support promise". Guess the 810 owners like myself have to hope that the 18 month support still applies to us too...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The biggest one that sticks out to me is the Other storage problem, which Nokia fixed before Microsoft. That can't be attributed to carriers, that's Microsoft taking its sweet time.

What I'd like Microsoft to do is to provide timeframes for bug fixes and commit to them. It seems that they often get carried away with the next version they are working on and forget to address user complaints regarding the previous version.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The biggest one that sticks out to me is the Other storage problem, which Nokia fixed before Microsoft. That can't be attributed to carriers, that's Microsoft taking its sweet time.

What I'd like Microsoft to do is to provide timeframes for bug fixes and commit to them. It seems that they often get carried away with the next version they are working on and forget to address user complaints regarding the previous version.

Nokia didn't fix it per se, they released an app that can get rid of the temp files manually. They still build up again. That said, Nokia were the only ones to move to put in a workaround. Can't think of another phone company doing more for it's customer base than Nokia at the mo'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss