Microsoft reportedly changing how Windows Phone updates work with GDR2

RahulRana

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone updates have been a mixed bag in the past. Microsoft likes to brag about how their update system works, but in reality there are still some phones that don?t even have GDR1 ?Portico.? Don?t even get started on Windows Phone 7.8. A new rumor from WPDang claims that Microsoft is changing how they do updates with GDR2.

For those of you that don?t know, here is a crash course on Windows Phone updates. Microsoft had control over the entire process from start to finish. They create the OS update, compile firmware from the manufacturer, customize it for each device and carrier, and then finally send it out. Microsoft wants to hand over some of that control to the manufacturers. WPDang claims that the process will now be managed more by manufacturers. Microsoft will create the OS update like before, but then they will send it to the likes of HTC, Nokia, and Samsung. The it will be up to them to add their stuff and send it to devices.

This rumor has a little concerned for me . The current process puts a lot of pressure on Microsoft, but that might be for the best. Nokia will probably be able to get updates out quicker, but is HTC or Samsung going to make a Windows Phone update a priority? I have my doubts. Hopefully if this rumor is true it works out for the best. :smile::eek:rly:

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130621_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130621_0001.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 2

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If this is true, if nothing else it will give people a good idea how committed the OEM's are to WP. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like Android, and I'm guessing it would bring about the same variation in active versions in use.

RahulRana

May 22, 2013
Visit site
as a nokia user i am getting good vibes ~ ~ dunno about other OEMs ~ !! lets wait and watch ~ Hope for the best ~ !! Long live WINDOWS PHONE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon