Ruggedness and Windows Phone

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Lately I have been seeing a plethora of rugged android phones with Samsung Galaxy S4 Active being the most high end. My question is:
Why is there not a rugged window phone? Or at least a waterproof phone?
No one can say its because of design because the Xperia Z proves you can put waterproof and design together. Hell even the S4 Active looks pretty good. It may not be a feature that is required but it is a feature that would be nice to have. Especially in Atlanta where we have had a lot of rain so far this past month. What do you think? Should a windows phone add some waterproofing to its list of features? In a smartphone os that is going to look uniform on no matter what phone you buy, an added feature like waterproof might catch some attention on the store shelves.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Durability is something I take into consideration. One reservation I have had when considering iPhone is the fact that everyone seems to feel it needs a protective case. I personally witnessed a coworker's iPhone screen break after it fell off a desk... a desk... which I think is completely unacceptable. I don't use a case on my Lumia 920, it has dropped several times and survived. I do know it cannot be submersed in water-- I've seen the online torture videos-- so water resistance would be a welcome feature.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Durability is something I take into consideration. One reservation I have had when considering iPhone is the fact that everyone seems to feel it needs a protective case. I personally witnessed a coworker's iPhone screen break after it fell off a desk... a desk... which I think is completely unacceptable. I don't use a case on my Lumia 920, it has dropped several times and survived. I do know it cannot be submersed in water-- I've seen the online torture videos-- so water resistance would be a welcome feature.

I would have been considered a high end Lumia, its just that I want to take my microsd card with me. And as we all know Nokia does not play well with microsd card on their high end Lumias.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I would love a waterproof phone! I love to sail, and there are a few apps that I should like to use when I sail, but right now I don't dare to use my phone when I'm to close to the water :(

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I whup' mah' whoes waaay down all de time wid mah' L920 whien dey not producin'. It holds down fine well when puttin' dents in deir haids.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Quite anecdotal though, as there have been several Lumia 920s that have just cracked after the first drop from that same height desk. It's all about how it lands. That said, the 920 probably is a good amount more durable than the iPhone, but still. I dont and wont use a case for my Lumia either. Generally speaking I will not buy a phone that I feel needs one, even if they wouldn't be marketed as "rugged"

In Limbo

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Translate to English please.

I'm trying to grasp someone could have almost 600 posts as confusing as that, lol. Adding to the discussion though:

I'm sure that we'll get something water-proof in the coming year or so; the cell phone industry is quite a trendy one. Nokia is pumping out handsets now though, so I'm sure that a company that specializes in the best hardware will hit that category. Right now though, I couldn't ask more of my 920. It's a champ.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to grasp someone could have almost 600 posts as confusing as that, lol. Adding to the discussion though:

I'm sure that we'll get something water-proof in the coming year or so; the cell phone industry is quite a trendy one. Nokia is pumping out handsets now though, so I'm sure that a company that specializes in the best hardware will hit that category. Right now though, I couldn't ask more of my 920. It's a champ.

Hopefully there is something waterproof by the holidays.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

You guys dont appreciate good Jive talk when you see it.

Need t'pull yo' haids away fum dose phones and see 'espuh'ience diversity. Slap mah fro!

BradCantona

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Quite anecdotal though, as there have been several Lumia 920s that have just cracked after the first drop from that same height desk. It's all about how it lands. That said, the 920 probably is a good amount more durable than the iPhone, but still. I dont and wont use a case for my Lumia either. Generally speaking I will not buy a phone that I feel needs one, even if they wouldn't be marketed as "rugged"

You can't compare 920 to iPhone in terms of ruggedness. Obviously you're more likely to see an iPhone on public transport, but barely a journey goes by without seeing a smashed screen or deformed phone. And that's with casing. Can only go with my own experience, but I'm a clumsy sod, my poor uncased 920 has taken a battering, and for all that it has a minor chip to the body near the charging port, and a small scratch centre of screen

Mike Chiravolo

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the Nokia Lumia 822 and purchased an OtterBox cover for it I have dropped it many times and it is indestructible with and Otterbox cover on an Iphone my cousin droped his and a car ran it over and a few scratches and nicks on the cover nothing to the phone Ottterbox does make an waterproof cover just not for the nokia yet

naushasame

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine how many times I dropped my lumia 900..even intentionally to boast...no damage...looks new all the time...damn

Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Waterproof + phones = absurd. I understand building a phone with physical durability, hence my love for the 920..but the water resistance is overkill and dumb imo.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I wanted a water proof windows phone for over a year. There should at least be one. Because when i had a razr ( just an example), I would keep it in the front shirt pocket. I would wash my hands, then i would lean forward to wash my face the damn thing would fall into the sink. That happened a few times. Luckily it survived. I don't know how though.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Waterproof + phones = absurd. I understand building a phone with physical durability, hence my love for the 920..but the water resistance is overkill and dumb imo.

No it is not how many cases of phones dropping into toilets or water have you heard. Happened to ne twice in the past and especially in an area where it rains a lot it is useful. Or even working around liquids like a lifeguard. Its just a feature that would be nice and a differentiator compared to other phones.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
No it is not how many cases of phones dropping into toilets or water have you heard. Happened to ne twice in the past and especially in an area where it rains a lot it is useful. Or even working around liquids like a lifeguard. Its just a feature that would be nice and a differentiator compared to other phones.

I have heard of the phones dropping in tiolets or general water...and in majority of the cases it could have easily been prevented. Lifeguards using a smartphone, ummmm...dont they have specific phones for their work? Or are you referring to them using it for personal use during their shift? I'm confused by the statement.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but when I run I have to wear the Bluetooth ear piece so the phone doesn't get wet. If I have no blue tooth with me, there is no way I will answer back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb