Xfinity remote hits the market place tomorrow!

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I just found out that Comcast is going to show WP8 some love. Tomorrow, Comcast will release the Xfinity Remote AP in the store. I don't know what features will be available in the store, but it's good news!

JohnnyMakesApps

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
That might make me stick w/ CC. I saw their apps on a friend's iPhone and it was an app for watching streaming content, then an app for account stuff. If they combine them as one, it'll be a winner!

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been dying for Comcast to show us some WP8 love. I don't really care about on demand on my phone, but I have missed being able to view the tv schedule and schedule recordings on my phone. Hopefully the connect AP is in the works also. Corporate doesn't tell us everything that is in development.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
That might make me stick w/ CC. I saw their apps on a friend's iPhone and it was an app for watching streaming content, then an app for account stuff. If they combine them as one, it'll be a winner!
don't count on that. I agree. Combining all the ApS into one would be sweet, I don't think the realize it yet. They still have two separate ApS in ios and android. One for video, and one for voice ApS. I don't know if they have figured out how to combine the two.

In the 5 years that I have worked for the company, its been my experience that having on application doing too many things is really difficult to work with and causes more problems then the combined AP tries to solve. But I do have hope!

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Comcast does have help pages up on the .com website. The following features are now specifically mentioned:

Change channels
Schedule DVR recordings
Browse the onDemand library
I assume you will also be able to view your schedule grid

At this time, I doubt you can watch onDemand on you phone, or order a ppv title to watch on your tv like you can with iOS and andriod. And you will not be able to work with your email. The advanced voice options won't be supported in this AP either.

Download this AP if you are a Comcast customer! Send them a strong message that they need to support the platform.

DTSDude

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This app is just a start, it shows the Comcast has recognized WP8 is a player in the market and will support it. I would love to see the streampix and on-demand apps follow this. I agree with lancguy, download if you have Comcast and a WP8 phone.

On the downside I couldn't find the app on the store tonight but I know it's coming, I've seen the same memo as lancguy and am a Comcast employee.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, guess they made a fool of me again. After 5 years I should know by now nit to believe anything until it actually happens

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The memo you guys saw was probably about submitting the app for certification. Certification takes a couple of days, so im still on the edge of my seat!

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that is one slick AP. It's been awhile since I had it on my android G2, but it does look much better and is incredibly fast. Good job Comcast

elian440

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I grabbed it last night and thought it looked pretty good. My cable box was on and working fine, then I tried to make use of the app and nothing happened. Then I tried to use my remote to change the channel and nothing happened. The box was locked up and didn't respond to anything from the app or the remote. Couldn't even turn it off, had to unplug it. After 30min+ of being on hold I was told that the box showed up on their end as "frozen" and they could not remotely access it. My options are to wait 5 days for someone to come out or take it to a customer service center for a new one. I went out to the store and my wife called me while I was out saying that everything started working again. When I got home she showed me that she could scroll through the guide and change channels with the remore again, but 5 minutes later it went back to not responding and I had to unplug it to turn it off again.

I guess it could be coincidental, but it would have to be one of those moments where the timing seems just too perfect. I'm just going to take it in the morning to get another box and probably just hold off on the app. I just wanted to be able to manage the DVR remotely, so I don't really feel like I'm missing out not having it.

elian440

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going to try to exchange today. It just seemed too coincidental that it went bad at the exact moment I tried the app. I don't know if the app accessing the box has the potential to do anything of that magnitude, but hopefully a new one will work out.

Edit: The strange thing is that if I turn my phone off the box works perfectly fine. As soon as I turn the phone on the box goes to **** even with the app uninstalled.

Last edited:

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this means anything, but I was searching the store in W8.1 beta tonight and search terms that came up as I typed in Xfinity were Ap, Player and TV. I'd like to think that Comcast is also going to show some love for WP8's big brother.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon