Nokia blames Microsoft for lack of apps

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Huh? Is Biniak assuming that Microsoft are supposed to be creating all these apps, or is the Inquirer simply taking comments out of context and inventing their own spin...?

ipinsao

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft makes it impossible to create Apps. I wanted to try making Apps for the windows phone only to find out that I needed to pay $100 to register in the App market. They just dropped the price down to $19 (promo for a few days). Another big problem is you need a Windows 8 machine to create Windows phone 8 Apps.
Compare that to google where you don't need a Windows phone 8 machine and pay an overpriced market place. Steve Balmer is just an *****.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft makes it impossible to create Apps. I wanted to try making Apps for the windows phone only to find out that I needed to pay $100 to register in the App market. They just dropped the price down to $19 (promo for a few days). Another big problem is you need a Windows 8 machine to create Windows phone 8 Apps.
Compare that to google where you don't need a Windows phone 8 machine and pay an overpriced market place. Steve Balmer is just an *****.

First, you don't need to pay to develop, you can develop any WP app with the free tools from Microsoft (Visual Studio Express, Windows Phone SDK, etc) and you can test your app in your phone for free.

Second, You need a Windows 8 machine because you need Windows RunTime. If you are a developer, Windows 8 is not an issue.

Third, with Google you need to pay $25 for registration and they take 30% transition fee:

You must register to be able to distribute your products through Google Play. There is a one time $25 registration fee charged for a Google Play Developer Console account.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/113468?hl=en

For applications that you choose to sell in Google Play, the transaction fee is equivalent to 30% of the application price. You receive 70% of the payment and the remaining 30% goes to the distribution partner and operating fees.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/112622?hl=en

kye2000

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft need to pay the devs if they want all big name apps. Plus Microsoft have a heap load of money

Sent from my BlackBerry

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
With Blackberry's future uncertain I can't see companies at this point in time devoting time and money towards developing BB apps.

That should help WP out in situations where devs might be deciding which 3rd place platform to develop for.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Thus far it seems UK, India and Germany are moving along nicely in terms of gaining key local apps, hell, Mexico has an official Starbucks app!

The reason why WP doesn't have a lot of apps is b/c a lot of those apps are from North America, and there aren't many WPs in North America. Outside of the Microsoft Campus you don't seem them in use anywhere, "no one has Windows Phone" is the reality, for now. That is why MS/Nokia are still pushing in North America. Despite all of the challenges and poor traction, they understand that cracking North America will be key in order to ensure WP's viability as the true 3rd place platform.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Let's not start about the apps. The 100 price point for developer license is more than fair. Problem is not with the lack of apps but with the lack of quality in apps. And this is visible on any platform. And most important STOP spreading disinformation that you need windows 8 to code for windows phone 8. First this is normal apple requires you to use their latest so does MS and it's just the way it should be. You can actually code for windows phone 8 from any operating system and any windows version. As long as you have a phone you can do that no problem. And if you are serious about making apps there is no excuse to not have a phone. You can't make quality apps if you haven't touch a windows phone device and you don't own one. So for everyone you can code for windows phone 8 from any operating system as long as you have a phone. Second the misinformation that you need SLAT on your CPU in order to run the emulator (and thus the need for windows 8 os as your environment). This is so not true. I installed everything on a windows server machine and run the emulator just fine. It will just have slower performance but is still miles away from the android emulator.

Microsoft states that the supported host os is windows 8 for development. This means that if you have question for them about what's wrong they will not answer to you unless you have a windows 8. That is what support means and this is again normal. Tell me does google offer you any kind of support?

I hope they keep the 100$ registration fee for ever. This ensures people must be serious about developing apps for the ecosystem. Enough is enough with the free stuff. If people want free and don't pay it's normal there will be no interest in giving them anything. And just that google forces you to use their add machine and let the apps free is not a solution. Making google richer and begging for crumbs for your work is not a solution. Apps are still software and making software is as a job as anything (singing, writing books, digging dirt, etc). So stop asking for free apps as those free apps cost you more in the long term without you even realizing.

gagandeep3019

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia cannot blame MS for apps.
MS cannot fill the app store with apps , to fill store there should be large number of developers interested in platform.
So microsoft and nokia can do something , i dont know what , to get the interest of developers into windows platform.
Now i think that have made lumia devices in every price range which is good.so more people use windows phone more developers will be interested.
And now most of people have android or ios phone so microsoft have to make some changes in windows 8 phone to match that user level experience equal to other platforms.

And noika or other OEM should bring devices size variation (like phablet) so that every user type is targeted.
We all know the biggest turning away for any user is apps base for any platform.
Windows is great platform but just look at samsung which spends so much of money for promotion of their phones.microsoft is required to do something similar if they really want to challenge others.

Other thing microsoft should sort out issues with google to bring google apps and services to windows phones. As most of the users will be migrating to windows from android only if they do.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Windows is great platform but just look at samsung which spends so much of money for promotion of their phones.microsoft is required to do something similar if they really want to challenge others.

how could you compare Samsung and Microsoft!! the Samsung is the Manufacturer just like Nokia and you know how much Nokia is pushing the Lumia series.
Please explain what you meant...

gagandeep3019

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
how could you compare Samsung and Microsoft!! the Samsung is the Manufacturer just like Nokia and you know how much Nokia is pushing the Lumia series.
Please explain what you meant...

what i meant was like you can see galaxy word written all over planet in at every shop and they try to get customers by creating promotion events , so with galaxy series now they dont have to advertise android because galaxy term has covered it.
Now I do not see nokia doing these things with lumia or microsoft doing the same for windows 8 phone.
Do not get me wrong i love android not galaxy.and lumia also. :)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
what i meant was like you can see galaxy word written all over planet in at every shop and they try to get customers by creating promotion events , so with galaxy series now they dont have to advertise android because galaxy term has covered it.
Now I do not see nokia doing these things with lumia or microsoft doing the same for windows 8 phone.

Nokia can't spend like Samsung. Samsung has their hands in just about everything with a circuit board and is worth a ridiculous amount more.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

You havent understood what I intended to say. You expect the Microsoft to push their OS which is a good point. Still you compare it with Samsung which is a mobile manufacturer. Have you seen Android advertisements?? So you cant expect the Windows Phone 8 advertisements too. Nokia is doing their best keeping on rocking everywhere they could. The competition is between the lonely manufacturer NOKIA and the whole bunch of plastic Android mobile makers including brands like Sam*ung, HTC , the non brands like Micromax, GFone and the list extends to infinity.

So for the current situation Nokia is doing well with MS and has pushed as far as possible. It may be the area that you live in has the lack of advertising. Here in "MY INDIA" where ever I go, I could notice ads of Lumia and people using Lumias. the channels also show number of Lumia ads. if you want to check the ads just go to Fox Traveller [it will bang more than on other channels].

Now check again what I said and continue your Critical thoughts of Nokia and MS... Happy Journey...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise