Microsoft asked HTC to put WP on Android devices! Win or BOO? What's your opinion?

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
"One such measure has been to ask HTC to install Windows Phone on their existing Android device. That is, the phone will ship with both operating systems and users could then switch between them, as we have seen on some tablets already. To sweeten the deal for HTC, Microsoft even offered to waive off the fee that it usually charges for licensing the Windows Phone OS."

With the licensing fee for the WP OS, I'm expecting around $100 of added price on the devices. So some part of me says both win and boo.
But what I don't like is that Microsoft is targeting HTC. :(

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_had_asked_htc_to_put_wp_on_android_devices-news-6905.php?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
"One such measure has been to ask HTC to install Windows Phone on their existing Android device. That is, the phone will ship with both operating systems and users could then switch between them, as we have seen on some tablets already. To sweeten the deal for HTC, Microsoft even offered to waive off the fee that it usually charges for licensing the Windows Phone OS."

With the licensing fee for the WP OS, I'm expecting around $100 of added price on the devices. So some part of me says both win and boo.

Source: Microsoft asked HTC to put WP on Android devices - GSMArena.com news

I think it's a win in my opinion. in the rumor. Microsoft is apparently licensing Windows phone free for them. So the cost will be lower. if WP becomes free more OEMs will join since Android is NOT free anymore. if they use Dual boot with Android. Both Androids and Windows phone's market share will grow together. Plus people love choice.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In theory its a good idea and gives WP a lot more exposure.

In practice I see some stumbling blocks mainly on board memory and apps - If a typical 1gb game for WP needs 4gb free to install how many games and apps would get installed as part of the WP OS? If I had the option to dual boot and knowing how memory intensive the WP apps are I wouldn't install any. If you also add in the "other" storage issues we have on WP8 your looking at a high end phone with a lot of memory

More storage is always top of the list for most people when buying phones, if they could pull off a phone with 64gb on board and 64gb on SD it could probably be successful.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Its an excellent idea. WP biggest problem is most people will not even give it a chance. By having a dual boot phone MSFT could eventually win a lot of business.

My guess though, GOOG will never allow this to happen. They will threaten to pull HTC's Android license. As much as I do not like Sammy, this is who MSFT needs to be talking to. I do not think GOOG could get away with such a move on them.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't want such a phone. What would it be good for?

If I use Android, why should I waste my precious memory for a Windows Phone installation, and the same the other way around?

Even if Microsoft and Google would allow the two operation systems to communicate - and else it would really be for nothing - you still had two ecosystems of apps you paid for. And then? Whenever you need an app that isn't available on one system you reboot to get to the other?

I don't see a single advantage for such a thing. I can believe that they would produce one phone and sell it with either Android or Windows Phone (or giving the choice with the first boot up), and I would love that, a HTC One with Windows Phone? That would be something great.

But dual boot? I really can't imagine that.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I never thought I'd see the day ms was asking for a dual boot option.

Wow.

All those years of trying to lock down bootloaders to refuse other operating systems (Linux) , and now they're willing to play second fiddle to get a got in the door.

It would be awesome to have android, iOS, wp, Jolla, sailfish, Ubuntu, gentoo, and a few others side by side.

Go for it HTC !

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it is just selling 2 phones. Same model, but different OSes.

I think its a great idea because I think the HTC One is pretty cool, but it'll only work if the carriers support it. Stores are only so big so they can only hold a certain number of phones and if the carrier had the choice, they'd sell the android version in the store over the windows phone version.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I never thought I'd see the day ms was asking for a dual boot option.

All those years of trying to lock down bootloaders to refuse other operating systems (Linux) , and now they're willing to play second fiddle to get a got in the door.

Not sure, at least in the x86 space, that Microsoft ever really worked to lock down the boot process, other than to address boot sector virii. It's always been pretty straightforward to dual boot Windows. The only exception lately is TPC equipped boards, but that initiative was driven more by enterprises seeking that lockdown.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
This could be a big win, actually. Think of all the games people want but can't play on WP? Now they could. Granted, the App's might not be as useful, like say you wanted to share pics or videos. Or would/could storage be accessible from both OS's?? I mean, rebooting to switch to Android would be annoying but its 100% better than not having the option. Seems like a decent stop gap for now. Its a good way to ease new people into Microsoft's ecosystem, along with the cross platform Xbox Music.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of Microsoft waiving the license fee. Especially with them buying Nokia, what reason would Samsung or HTC have to build a windows phone now?

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
100% win.
HTC sells more phones, WP gets more exposure.
And we the consumers get to have the best of both worlds ;)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
This could be a big win, actually. Think of all the games people want but can't play on WP? Now they could. Granted, the App's might not be as useful, like say you wanted to share pics or videos. Or would/could storage be accessible from both OS's?? I mean, rebooting to switch to Android would be annoying but its 100% better than not having the option. Seems like a decent stop gap for now. Its a good way to ease new people into Microsoft's ecosystem, along with the cross platform Xbox Music.

Micro SD wouldn't be an issue to share. It's all fat, all good, all the time.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I got an idea, why doesn't HTC just ship the phones with windows OS on in and have the ability to download android ( as an option ). Make windows OS permanent, but have the ability to delete with android partition. So if the user has a preference for garbage, they can always install android.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_had_asked_htc_to_put_wp_on_android_devices-news-6905.php?

I am thinking the intent was misinterpreted. When they say to install WP on existing Android devices, I'm thinking more along how Samsung did the GS3 & ATIV S. Same hardware, different OS. Like having the HTC One w/ Android, and offering an HTC W1/Won(?)

I highly doubt MS or Google wants a high end OEM to offer dual-boot device. There would be a lot of issues with the memory performance, etc.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3