Frustrated To Be A Microsoft Fan Right Now?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Speaking specifically to those who are "all in" with the Microsoft ecosystem, I was wondering if anyone out there is frustrated right now...no flagship Windows Phone, Windows 10 questions (like is tablet mode taking a backseat), the fact that apps DO matter to people who are hesitant to move to Windows Phone or tablets, the "tablet" experience on Windows still messy compared to other platforms...the fact that charms and swiping do make sense on Windows tablets (once used to it) but the fact they are being taken out..."Metro/Modern" on WP becoming less and less.

This isn't a hit piece at all as I am still hopeful, cautiously optimistic about Universal Apps and "one Windows"...I have a Core i7 Surface Pro 3, Lumia Icon, Dell Venue 8 Pro, XBOX One and 360, Dell Core i7 desktop as my home media and file server, Microsoft Band. Office 365, OneDrive, XBOX Music, XBOX Video...

I am all in...I just think Microsoft needs a GRAND SLAM with Windows 10 to please us hardcore fans and win people over...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's an evolving world. We either embrace it and move on into the future or get bitter about it.

I'm an embracer.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not "all in" with any system--in fact I try not to get locked into a particular platform because you never know when around the corner they will do something that will make you wish you could move on more easily. Personally I really like Windows Phone as it is and would rather it continue to be developed and refined. I like the look of it. I like the way it operates. I like the fact it is different. I would rather have a phone-centered operating system on my phone. There are very few apps I can't get and I like the ones I do have. For bigger devices I'll probably continue to go Linux--Ubuntu right now. I don't do gaming and have no interest in wearables.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
It's an evolving world. We either embrace it and move on into the future or get bitter about it.

I'm an embracer.

And I am with you...just not totally content with the unknowns...we will now soon enough...kind of hope BUILD has some teasers...

wokaz80

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
to be honest i kind of feel it too. i'm not microsoft big fan by any means but i get what you mean. in fact i feel like it's pointless to buy a new windows phone at this point. I had high expectation when WP8 came out, i love my lumia phone, but as time goes by, i realized most of the services in WP you can also find them in android. I believed it was cool to have full offline navigation with Here Drive and Here Maps but now these apps also exist on android. Onedrive, office, onenote, and outlook are also available on android and so I said to myself what's so exclusive about windows phone anymore...to be very honest, i have assumption that WP is inferior in almost every way to android at this point except for the camera but camera is hardware issues and im sure there are decent android camera phones as well (i dont take a lot of pictures so I dont care much about the camera tbh). the only another thing I can think of is malware/virus but considering i might not use my phone much, i dont think it should be an issue as i dont browse to random sites from my phone. as for lag issues, high performance android phones like oneplus one is smooth enough to me (yes my friend has it and i have tested it).

The first time i bought my lumia, i could easily say it outperform most android phones, maybe except the most expensive ones. nowadays there are cheap android phones that can go toe to toe with lumia, like oneplus one, xiaomi mi4, and nexus 6, they are actually cheaper than flagship lumia phones. Considering the pros and cons, tbh i dont find much "pros" in lumia compared to those fast android phones.

I do love microsoft services. I have android phone myself but i still use onedrive, onenote, office in my android. My laptop is windows 8.1 and ofc i also use microsoft cloud services here on my laptop as well. but again, i dont see much future in WP tbh. I dont see the point of buying new WP device anymore. I used to think lumia was great to have offline maps and navigation (it helped a lot!) but now android have here maps too, i dont see much point of buying WP device anymore.

when people say WP10 universal apps would solve the app gap issue, tbh i doubt it. look at Windows 8 store, it's the same thing with WP8 store. there are too few apps there. The reason people dont build for WP is because developers prioritize android and iphone (due to market share), and not because they dont want to build two different apps for windows 8 and WP8. it never was the main issue. I think most people who use windows 10 would still be laptop and desktop users, and not tablet users, therefore it wont make much difference because most developers would only develop for windows standard desktop apps (because people spend their time there) and not the modern universal apps.

i do hope im wrong because i actually want windows platform to succeed but tbh i dont see much future in WP. not even in windows 10, it still feels very similar to windows 8 imo (yes, i tried the technical preview)

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Give Microsoft some time. Android was suffering like WPs once. But look at them now. I think after 3/4 years there won't be much difference between iOS, Android and WP. Then ppl will only switch phones for the looks.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Give Microsoft some time. Android was suffering like WPs once. But look at them now. I think after 3/4 years there won't be much difference between iOS, Android and WP. Then ppl will only switch phones for the looks.

And Lumia phones are a sexy looking phone. Far prettier then the drab Androids of Samsung and far better then the Generic iPhone design.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The most frustrated thing right now is how long it's taking Microsoft to release new builds of WP10. The lack of updates is making everyone nervous, and that nervousness is driving people into feedback overdrive. Too many people are rushing to judgment, doing their best to give "critical analysis" of unfinished apps. I'm using the tech preview and the software isn't just unfinished, it's barely functional. My photos app just stopped working. My camera pics are just disappearing into the ether right now. So much is simply not ready for critical analysis. But without newer builds, what are people to do? Another day, another UI concept I guess. Is Microsoft incorporating any new ideas, following through on all the feedback, making huge sweeping changes? No one knows! Until new builds start coming out, people will remain in feedback overdrive.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The most frustrated thing right now is how long it's taking Microsoft to release new builds of WP10. The lack of updates is making everyone nervous, and that nervousness is driving people into feedback overdrive. Too many people are rushing to judgment, doing their best to give "critical analysis" of unfinished apps. I'm using the tech preview and the software isn't just unfinished, it's barely functional. My photos app just stopped working. My camera pics are just disappearing into the ether right now. So much is simply not ready for critical analysis. But without newer builds, what are people to do? Another day, another UI concept I guess. Is Microsoft incorporating any new ideas, following through on all the feedback, making huge sweeping changes? No one knows! Until new builds start coming out, people will remain in feedback overdrive.
The funny thing is I got an email from Gabe Aul yesterday mentioning installing W10TP for Phones. I thought it was a new update, since the email mentioned "fast" mode, which I chose. However, when I checked my phone for updates, there were none. :unhappy:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Try installing from a "clean" phone, that is hard reset and then install as new wp8.1 phone (do not restore from backup) and then install WP10. Everything will work very well.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not frustrated at what is happening tbh, was predicted many months ago, change, especially in a company as large as MS with many offerings is allways going to be a slow process, even if that change is to change into a fast responding company. Those changes are happening before our eyes, W10 is make or break time and they themselves know this and are going all in with it. Satya has done well to steer the ship up to this point. I don't mind not having a flagship phone after all this time, its actually made me realise the BS 'hype' we are all sold to get the latest and greatest which quite frankly needs to be secondary (or less) to real life productivity. Im actually excited and cant wait to see the share price and market share of MS competitors start going down after enterprise adopts W10 and in turn WP. BRING IT ON!!!! :D

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
The funny thing is I got an email from Gabe Aul yesterday mentioning installing W10TP for Phones. I thought it was a new update, since the email mentioned "fast" mode, which I chose. However, when I checked my phone for updates, there were none. :unhappy:

I got that very same email, however I rolled back to DP 8.1; I am patient enough to wait until Windows 10 os complete.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Speaking specifically to those who are "all in" with the Microsoft ecosystem, I was wondering if anyone out there is frustrated right now...no flagship Windows Phone, Windows 10 questions (like is tablet mode taking a backseat), the fact that apps DO matter to people who are hesitant to move to Windows Phone or tablets, the "tablet" experience on Windows still messy compared to other platforms...the fact that charms and swiping do make sense on Windows tablets (once used to it) but the fact they are being taken out..."Metro/Modern" on WP becoming less and less.

This isn't a hit piece at all as I am still hopeful, cautiously optimistic about Universal Apps and "one Windows"...I have a Core i7 Surface Pro 3, Lumia Icon, Dell Venue 8 Pro, XBOX One and 360, Dell Core i7 desktop as my home media and file server, Microsoft Band. Office 365, OneDrive, XBOX Music, XBOX Video...

I am all in...I just think Microsoft needs a GRAND SLAM with Windows 10 to please us hardcore fans and win people over...

I had ur frustration and went and did something about it! I stupidly believed all the ****** **** about "lagdroid" and stuck with WP for nearly 3yrs (more 2 do with Nokia) until last week. I went and bought a Galaxy S6 and although not perfect by any means, I'm wondering "where's all this lag that people talk about". The phone is blazingly fast (just wish it had Live Tiles & Cortana but the way things are going I'll have Cortana soon lol). After all these years I find out that the competition isn't bad at all! Microsoft should be ashamed that their services are better on Android than their own platform and no, I'm not joking, they are!!! Imagine my surprise when their authentication app on Android doesn't make u leave the app ur in (in fact it comes to the app, in the the form of a quick notification) and yet they can't manage the same on their platform. Mind u I still have my 930 and 925 but the thing is they aren't trumps in imaging anymore. This is the negative side of not releasing a flagship. They haven't innovated and the competition has surpassed them. The S6 wipes the floor with the 930 in every area, including imaging, with the exception of battery life. I'm not saying all is bad with Windows Phone, it has by far the most potential, if only Microsoft would leverage it but it isn't as rose-tinted as fanboys like to make out.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
The only thing frustrating to me right now is that quality is behind marketing and perception when it comes to technology, and regardless of how good Microsoft products are they get short-changed by the media and consumers. This goes all the way back to the Zune, which was superior to the iPod in almost every way, but because it had "Microsoft" stamped on it instead of the Apple logo it was dismissed.

The Surface Pro 3 is a remarkable machine -- one of the best pieces of technology I've ever owned -- but people dismiss it because it's not an iPad(tm).

Windows Phone 8.1 is an excellent mobile OS and is much better than both iOS and Android, IMO, but no one will give it a chance. If more people gave it a chance developers would have no choice but to acknowledge the platform and we would have more apps.

That is what is frustrating.

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I went and bought a Galaxy S6 and although not perfect by any means, I'm wondering "where's all this lag that people talk about". The phone is blazingly fast

You might want to use the phone for 1 month and then look at the performance. My Galaxy S5 has slowed down considerably especially when using whatsapp or browser.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You might want to use the phone for 1 month and then look at the performance. My Galaxy S5 has slowed down considerably especially when using whatsapp or browser.
Time will tell I guess but it was worth the money just for the camera alone and I still have spare WP's if it all goes pear-shaped.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

This sounded almost like an intro to an infomercial to a sleep number mattress or something. I was waiting to get the "antidote" to what ails us man.
"Its not a dicer, its not a slicer, its not a chopper in a hopper and don't you want to know what it is?? lol.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, me too. But I have the 1520 and I have a sneaking suspicion MS don't want to support it much longer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3