Should Microsoft Buy BlackBerry?

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
http://www.vcpost.com/articles/69556/20150525/leak-shows-microsoft-lumia-940-lumia-940-xl-might-have-two-new-business-related-apps-instanote-and-dialer-for-lync.htm

Well for one thing it would be ellimating the closest contender to number 3 spot. Remember anything can happen and there a re a **** ton of Blackberry die hards still out there.
Second.... developers developers developers. If they could convince some blackberry deveopers (especially those with QNX skills) to come on over to WP it would be a huge win.
I see MS as trying to be nimble and spreading its eggs into lots of baskets right now (which is very smart). They are writing apps for competing markets, they are joining the open source movement strongly, they are creating new verticals for app developers. So as you said, why not add this to the basket?

twrist

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
re:

I think after the pretty considerable loss they've made with Nokia, buying another large device manufacturer will be off the agenda for the time being...!

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
re:

Interesting...Microsoft to buy out Blackberry? What do you think Microsoft will get out of Blackberry though? I'm not concerned but I just don't understand what Microsoft would get from buying Blackberry.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
re:

Interesting...Microsoft to buy out Blackberry? What do you think Microsoft will get out of Blackberry though? I'm not concerned but I just don't understand what Microsoft would get from buying Blackberry.
They get BB IP. And stop someone else buying it. But that's about it. they mmight be able to tie bbm into skype, or use bb encryption in Mobile, but BB would still have a lot of baggage. i cant see ms being interested in bb really.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
http://www.vcpost.com/articles/69556/20150525/leak-shows-microsoft-lumia-940-lumia-940-xl-might-have-two-new-business-related-apps-instanote-and-dialer-for-lync.htm
that article has to be the suckiest thing I've read in a while. Rumours and unfounded speculation with model numbers of unannounced/non-existent handsets and other tosh chucked in all over the place in a blatant ploy to get it up the search rankings.
By the end of it i was expecting them to tell me that Ellen had told Oprah to give me a free iPad by way of apology for lying all these years about her amazing secret that doctors and retailers just don't want me to know.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
About a year ago this was discussed hypothetically here primarily as a means of acquiring users to eventually convert to WP.

From purely that viewpoint, I argued against it - the remaining BB users would be very "high maintenance" and resistant to converting in the case of enterprises and governments still utilizing BES.

From an IP perspective, I'm still not sure how much it makes sense - QNX excepted. That's the part that appears to have value and goodwill going forward. The question is how much though.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
re:

dk thats why I mentioned the QNX developers, that would be huge for MS. On the "high maintenance" part, Im not sure I agree with that. With exception of the keyboard (no amount of arguing will change this) Blackberry users primarily need appx 3 things. BB Messenger, Solid email client and security all of which now live on the WP platform. In fact BBM is being challenged tremendously by whatsapp now as well so I believe they would truly truly love WP.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
re:

yes only because I want a W10 Passport device.

I could live with a QNX to Win10 free upgrade as long as they improve the email client from 8.1. BB10 is much better IMHO.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
re:

When you say the mail client, youre talking about the UI/UX I am assuming and not the actual behavior. I say this because email on 8.1 is excellent, but I would I agree the UI/UX is lacking.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
re:

When you say the mail client, youre talking about the UI/UX I am assuming and not the actual behavior. I say this because email on 8.1 is excellent, but I would I agree the UI/UX is lacking.

Yes, the UI/UX.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Nothing but rumor aimed at manipulating the price of the stock. Fairfax Holdings rejected Samsung's $7.5B offer last year and that was before 2 consecutive positive earnings reports. BB share prices are up and we're supposed to believe they'll let it go for $500 million less? Not.

I don't doubt there's something in the works somewhere since BB announced a buyback for the next 12 months. That'll make their balance sheet look even better and perhaps drive the sale price even higher. One of 2 things is going to happen: Microsoft (or someone else) is going to overpay dearly for BlackBerry or Chen continues putting Humpty BlackBerry back together again.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

I don't see Microsoft buying BlackBerry. Microsoft still isn't making any money from the Nokia purchase.

I also don't see Apple or Google buying BlackBerry. BlackBerry doesn't fit into Apple's business model, and Apple already has a partnership with IBM for enterprise apps. Google didn't keep Motorola very long, so I don't see Google buying another smartphone OEM.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
re:

BB holds a lot of patents. It is an under valued company. As a handset manufacturer - well - they are not doing so well. They will never catch up.

However, MS bought Nokia - not a lot happened there.

Nobody else is running to buy BB either. I think it will sputter and fail - and new innovation will replace it's remnants.

I still like BB and what they did - but like Nokia, they rested on their laurels and got it fed to them.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
BlackBerry is overvalued. BB10 sucks. Nobody use BBM. Enterprises are moving away from BES. QNX is the only division doing well but it's impossible to make money selling an operating system. BlackBerry is not making much money from patents.

$7 billion is too generous.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3