Microsoft has revealed the anime mascot for Windows 10

devilfisch

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Like I said in the title, Microsoft has revealed the face of their new anime mascot for Windows 10. For those who were following on the official mascots which started with Windows 7 (Nanami Madobe), she's also from the Madobe family though she is from 100 years in the future. She will be voiced by Ai Nonaka (Fuuko Ibuki from Clannad, Meme Touwa from Denpa Onna among other animes she was casted in). She apparently likes to play online games and works in a custom computer shop. She's 17 by the way and she doesn't have a name. Fans would be given the chance to give her a name on June 19. I'll post the official link later (Japanese only) below because I need one more post to be able to post links. Here's how she looks like:

1610933_1027466693972782_5550181289907203251_n.png

devilfisch

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It is a typically Japan-only (or Asian-only) thing so most people outside the region would have never heard of their mascots. Here's a list of the past mascots for those who are curious...

EDIT: I added some videos!

It started with Windows 7 and her name is Nanami Madobe:
yande.re%20160414%20sample%20madobe_nanami%20microsoft%20os-tan%20wakaba.jpg

Here's a commercial with her roughly teaching how to build a PC with Windows 7 and showing off some of its features - it has English subtitles, by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nngGGBkjMpU

And some lesser known ones with no last names were released as themes that were rewarded as presents for users of Bing during a promotion a few months after the release of Windows 7:
bing.jpg
From the left and clockwise: Nanako, Nanae, Nanao, Nanami, Nana. Nana means "7", by the way.

Then came the twins Ai and Yuu Madobe for Windows 8:
yande.re%20231192%20sample%20madobe_ai%20madobe_yuu%20microsoft%20os-tan%20tagme%20wallpaper.jpg

There's also Claudia Madobe for Azure:
yande.re%20198828%20sample%20claudia_madobe%20jpeg_artifacts%20megane%20microsoft%20wallpaper.jpg

Here's a video ad for Azure with Claudia and an unidentified character (whom I assume to be named Azu, sadly I don't have much info about her):
https://youtu.be/ZpNfPOZ_lwM

Microsoft Taiwan also created their own mascot for Silverlight named Hikaru Aizawa later followed by her elder sisters, Yu, Aoi and Lei:
yande.re%20201420%20sample%20aizawa_aoi%20aizawa_hikaru%20aizawa_lei%20aizawa_yu%20christmas%20m.jpg
Yu, Aoi, Lei and Hikaru, respectively.

Here's a PV of Hikaru. It's in Chinese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j49w6QsC1w

Finally comes Inori Aizawa, the mascot of IE from Microsoft Singapore:
yande.re%20272780%20sample%20aizawa_inori%20headphones%20madobe_ai%20madobe_yuu%20microsoft%20ne.jpg

Inori also has an official video which you can watch here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHTUlF7NA2o

All of the above are official artwork. I'm not sure if there are others but those are what I'm aware of right now. On the other hand, I wonder if the Edge browser will get a new mascot or if Inori will remain the new browser's face.

Anyway, because of the positive reaction from fans, it appears Microsoft will be continuing this trend.

Last edited:

devilfisch

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Chan is Chinese?

"Chan" is a Japanese honorific suffix usually added to names for endearment. It's usually used for children, teens and close friends and family that are typically younger (with exceptions) and is also used with pets and other cute animals. It's typically rude to use the suffix to address people who are older or senior.

devilfisch

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Might be a Juubei chan, considering Juu translates to 10

I also think that Juubei is one of the possible names that would be submitted. I have a few ideas of my own too. I can think of Ichiko and Kazushi (both written as 一子 meaning one and child, "One Windows to rule them all" after all!) or Kanna and Michiru (both written as 十 which means the number 10, for obvious reasons). Another would be Tenri (天理) which somewhat literally means "heavenly truth" or Tenshi written with the character for heart (心) because, you know, "ten". In that latter case, I'd love to see her drawn with wings. Tenshi also means angel after all. Hehe!

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Weirdest thing I've seen all day.

UI shot to heck, we got no RSAT tools, but hey! Mascots. Really good they found the resources to do those.

devilfisch

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Weirdest thing I've seen all day.

UI shot to heck, we got no RSAT tools, but hey! Mascots. Really good they found the resources to do those.

Well, it's not like the Windows development and Japanese marketing teams are the same people. The mascot thing also has good reception in Japan so I'm sure Microsoft Japan just wants to milk that cow. Haha! :p

devilfisch

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I searched the web, is it kind of assistant but you can't interact with her?

No. She's just a mascot created for marketing purposes. Given the anime marketing track record of MS Japan, I'm sure they'll release a Windows 10 theme and sound bank of this new mascot when it gets released in Japan though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills