Change the Numbered names for flagship devices PLEASE!

Theorize

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello fellow Windowscentral readers, I was so glad as I believe you were to read the newly leaked specs of the Lumia 940 phones. We understand, or at least most of us do, exactly why 940 comes after 930 which came after 925 and 920 and so on... we also know the difference between the 9-series and the 5-series and those in between... But heck around me people usually get lost, I mean it is clear that Galaxy S and iPhones are much more "known" to even the most novice consumer. And this is why I am writing here to petition with you for a change in the numbers. Let them keep Lumia if they insist, and let them refer to the devices with 940, 840, 740, 640, and whatever names they want INTERNALLY... but I truly hope Microsoft will simplify the naming of the Lumia flagship devices and make it for example Lumia Z or Lumia 10 (since we are entering into the windows 10 era), or anything that people can relate to more than 9 hundreds!

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It would make the future Lumia line not be a jumbled mess of numbers. Lumia is a fairly strong brand but the numbers are getting annoying. Part of the problem is that MS/Nokia make too many different phones. A naming scheme like the following would work:

Flagship: Lumia X, Lumia X+
Imaging: Lumia Xi, Lumia Xi+
Mid: Lumia M, Lumia M+
Low: Lumia G, Lumia G+

I can't say that I completely came up with this because it's what a lot of other phone manufacturers do. Look at Motorola.

High: Moto X
Mid: Moto G
Low: Moto E

I think it works pretty well and simplifies the naming scheme. Changing the naming scheme now may confuse users temporarily, but it would be beneficial in the long run.

Theorize

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
LockOnTech that would accomplish a big deal in making people relate to Windows-run phones made by Microsoft, and feeling a relation or understanding a brand and its products is worth a lot. If your pictured iPhone was called iPhone 629 for ATT and iPhone 620 for T-Mobile and then iPhone Blade for Verizon before the international iPhone 630 is out in the international market (except China which gets iPhone 682c) then believe me people would think a little more before buying Apple. Same goes for Xperia Z and HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S lines.... :amaze:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For a lineup as large as the Lumia lineup, changing to word or letter based names would be worse.
Using XL or something else as a modifier is fine IMHO.

Check out Samsung's lineup for example.
Galaxy Light
Galaxy Note 3
Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Galaxy Core
Galaxy Ace Style
Galaxy Alpha
Galaxy Young
Galaxy A5
Galaxy Grand Prime
Galaxy Pocket Plus
Galaxy Fame
Galaxy Rush
Galaxy Pocket Duos
Galaxy Y Duos
Galaxy Z
Galaxy Fit
Galaxy Ace
Galaxy Beam
Galaxy S Advance
Galaxy S Relay 4G
Galaxy Win
Galaxy Trend Plus

This is a select group out of the lineup since it came out. Where do they fit in terms of price range, generation, etc? I can't compare these letters without looking it up!

Motorola and Apple can get away with what they do because they sell two-three phones. Even then, E, G, X don't tell me a whole lot. And those phones need the generation tacked on. "I got the Moto G!" "Which one?" "Oh, the second-gen one!"
I don't think its better just because others may do it.

The iPhone lineup is indeed simple, but its also small. One or two high-end phones with the older ones being the cheaper models.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Frankly, I think for a flagship they should drop the Lumia name all-together - you hear Lumia and you either think Nokia or a sub-$100 phone. No, the top-of-the-line Microsoft phone should have the Surface branding.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, I think for a flagship they should drop the Lumia name all-together - you hear Lumia and you either think Nokia or a sub-$100 phone. No, the top-of-the-line Microsoft phone should have the Surface branding.

Completely agree. Surface has more clout as a flagship device. Lumia just doesn't feel like a premium brand anymore.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
With Surface Microsoft has created the impression of value. It's the most Apple-like product Microsoft has ever created.

I mean, the Surface phone commercial is already written...show it doing Office, Surface pen working with One Note, Cortana, plugging into a monitor to run desktop apps, and then the kickstand. Meanwhile iPhone sits next to it dumbfounded and falls over.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I think renaming Lumia to Surface would work wonders for the American Market, but outside US, where there's significant marketshare (read India, etc.) the Surface brand is next to unknown. Don't think MS will go that route after all.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
And totally agree with xandros9, Lumias have the most coherent naming scheme, especially the X2X era, though they've stumbled a few times. Numbers allow for natural progression. Can you imagine names such as lumia x,m,g,n,o for phones like 430,435,530,535 which have almost equal specs? It'd be a cluster****.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree with xandros9 as well. Here we see EVERY Lumia model, because well it was a Windows phone site, but not all of the models we see announced here on the site make it to one market, that'd be a clusterfuvk of phones flooding the market. The only real problem with the Lumia line was the transition from Nokia to Microsoft because as per the deal, Microsoft had to bring any phone in development by Nokia into the market. That's how we ended up with really really REALLY bad phones and a messed up product line last year.
If you look at the line up with only the Microsoft Lumia phones for any distinct market you'd probably see a very pretty lineup starting with dirt cheap going up to mid budget. AND the naming convention of numbers works perfectly well now that we just consider Microsoft Lumia instead of both Nokia Lumia/Microsoft Lumia and the region handsets.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Classic
Lumia Executive or Elegance
Lumia Grand

Lumia Generic Sounding Name That Tells You Nothing About The Device

Every now and then I come across the same post or thread about how they need to get rid of the numbers and give us cheesy sounding names instead. At least with the numbering system that Nokia came up with you can tell where each Lumia device is in the family. They kind of screwed it up by giving us too many variants though but the idea is still solid. Adding XL at the end to donate a bigger device is cheesy as hell though. It's like phones are suddenly t-shirts now.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but at least the "regular" 940 could be the successor of the 930 and the "XL" 940 could be the successor of the 1520. Way less confusing than the 920 & 1520 numbering scheme. Sure we know the difference, but my mom won't, it's only obvious to her that the 1520 is better because of the bigger number(disregarding the obvious spec differences, but I hope you get what I'm going for). And I don't think giving the flagship a name will help, it'll probably make naming successors worse.

Ethan Alvaree

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Support. Tell someone you have Lumia 920, 1020, 1520, etc. and people don't know the difference.

Give our phones REAL names, not numbers that look like code names during development that stuck because no one cared enough about the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb