Installing an app via (PC to phone) Push Notification is down.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
In the process of asking a support person on how to do it, he found that it was down and could not do it himself. He noticed that the dev team made a change to the store yesterday that killed this ability.

"The ability to download the XAP file to a PC and sideload the app is missing as well." - Support

Here is the full chat -
Daniel B.: at 17:48:12
You can go to Windowsphone.com > sign in with the account you use on the phone > search the store for what you want > hit install. Make sure that under settings > find my phone > push notifications are on for this to work well.
mitch: at 17:48:33
Let me try that.
mitch: at 17:49:52
When I click "Get the app" it leads me to the metro store on pc
Daniel B.: at 17:51:08
Perhaps try a different browser.
Daniel B.: at 17:51:20
Are you signed into your PC with the same Microsoft Account you use on the phone?
mitch: at 17:51:26
Yep.
mitch: at 17:52:20
I am starting to give up now....45 minutes of support is driving me nuts..
Daniel B.: at 17:53:15
Searching on the site and hitting install isn't really that much more efficient than doing it on the phone anyhow. Still have to type, still have to search, still have to hit install.
Daniel B.: at 17:53:39
Were you at least able to get the contacts sorted and moved over to the new account?
mitch: at 17:53:45
Typing on the PC is much more effective
mitch: at 17:53:46
Yes.
mitch: at 17:54:39
I figured that out before support. My main purpose of going here was to figure out the other data files in the phone
mitch: at 17:55:15
Which cannot be moved as stated...So I figured to ask on how to use push nofications to install the app onto the new device.
mitch: at 17:55:23
Since PC is easier than phone.
Daniel B.: at 17:56:18
Looks like they have made some changes to the store at windowsphone.com since yesterday. Functionally it is different. Looks like they are moving forward with merging the stores in preparation for Windows 10.
Daniel B.: at 17:56:56
I'm not able to push apps to my test device either as it used to do.
mitch: at 17:57:09
Bother....
Daniel B.: at 17:57:35
Agreed.
mitch: at 17:57:39
Windows 10 was supposed to make life easier...but it appears that they are shaming the 8.1 users like they did with 7.
mitch: at 17:57:54
Killing the previous software...
mitch: at 17:58:10
I swear.....
Daniel B.: at 18:00:21
I'm definitely going to alert our senior technician that the site no longer allows one to push apps to the phone as it did yesterday.
Daniel B.: at 18:00:28
I'm sorry about that Mitch.
mitch: at 18:00:58
Thank you. Can you email me a formal statement on this? I would like to post this on WindowsCentral to alert other users.
Daniel B.: at 18:01:57
I'm not able to do that however if you would like encourage others to request that this feature be brought back to the web version of the Windows Phone store there is a feedback site that the developers use to bring new features to Windows Phone.
Daniel B.: at 18:02:06
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com
Daniel B.: at 18:03:10
Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
mitch: at 18:03:27
No, but please encourage the dev team to fix this.
Daniel B.: at 18:04:07
Most definitely. The ability to download the XAP file to a PC and sideload the app is missing as well.
mitch: at 18:04:30
Well, I do not know what that means, lol. I hope they fix it :p
Daniel B.: at 18:05:52
Me too! Could be that the removal is just temporary. This marketplace is totally different from what it was yesterday. Perhaps they will add it back in. At any rate I will certainly express the concern to the developers that those two features are heavily used by Windows Phone users.
mitch: at 18:06:10
Agreed.

----------------

I hope this is useful to the community.
He said that an appeal could fix this problem if we get enough supporters to address this issue via http://windowsphone.uservoice.com

Cheers!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just noted that the Windows Phone App Store has changed on browser. I assume they are getting it ready to leap forward to the new 10 Store???

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just looked at as the future coming on. *shrug* I'm looking forward and don't believe Microsoft is doing anything now they are gonna roll back.

It actually excited me a bit to see a step toward Universal Apps taking shape right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss