Windows 10 may be the OS responsible for killing piracy

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I said Windows 10 MAY be the OS responsible for killing piracy. Not all at once, of course.

Why would I even say this? It seems that Microsoft's little change in Microsoft's Service Agreement that states the OS may download updates and changes to prevent users from "playing counterfeit games" has torrent trackers upset.

Torrent trackers have to be paranoid to stay in business. This paranoia leads them to believe that Microsoft will scan their disks and send the contents to Anti-piracy groups. Several torrent trackers for pirate sites have already announced that they will ban Windows 10 OS, and you won't be able to browse their sites or link to torrents that are tracked by them. Even more torrent trackers are considering the same action. If they continue this action, then as more and more people get on Windows 10, then torrents will become less and less available. If Windows 10 becomes as prolific as Windows 7 currently is, which shouldn't take too long to happen, then even those currently trying to engage in the piracy will have difficulty due to a lack of seeds for torrents. (Look up how torrents work if you don't understand that. This isn't a "how-to".)

While I am sure that many pirates will find ways around this and to block it, there may be enough torrent trackers who are paranoid to eventually be forced out of business over it.

Perhaps Microsoft has found the cure for piracy by announcing this change, which is created a cry across the internet of an invasion of privacy by Microsoft. Is it really an invasion of privacy? I have found that the people who are crying the loudest are the ones who have "non-genuine software and games" or are listening to those who do. The only privacy they are genuinely concerned about is the fact that Microsoft may have taken steps to prevent them from obtaining pirated materials.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about "curing" (there is no silver bullet) but they are certainly destroying 10's reputation with moves like this as well as not disclosing what's in updates etc.

IMHO they're moving to fast in shoving their hands into people's PCs and people don't appreciate that. There's already people blowing the EULA out of proportion, they don't need this.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This all comes from the same EULA that's being blown out of proportion where it talks about "non-genuine" for games, apps, and hardware. It's directed at counterfeit Xbox One units and pirated Xbox software to be sure, but it's a general agreement across all devices, because it's one OS now.

It's also something Microsoft has been doing for years without issues. They've already been working with Anti-piracy groups, and when you have Windows Defender or ANY AntiVirus program running that is configured to send telemetry back, they check the hashes against known pirated apps/games and if found report it to an anti-piracy group. Nothing new, it has been happening for years.

Some of the torrent trackers are claiming that Microsoft will "send the contents of your hard drive to their servers for analysis." We all know that's baloney, because it's not even logistically possible to do. They are having to do roll-outs of Windows 10 in small waves for just a 3.6GB OS. Can you imagine if they tried to send everybody's Hard Drive contents back to their servers? It would break the internet.

IMHO they're moving to fast in shoving their hands into people's PCs and people don't appreciate that.

Very little is changed on data being gathered from users, except that it is finally more transparent than in the past. This transparency has led "some" to discover for the first time that it was even there, and they don't realize it has been there all along. Windows SmartScreen, Defender, UAC, they all check out what you have on your system and what you download. They all check it against an online database to make sure it's legit. If you want to run pirated software, you have to disable certain things when setting it up and running it. Not for everything, but for many of them. I've been researching a bit how it works. I don't have anything pirated to worry about myself, nor do I plan on getting into that nonsense, but I've been curious to know exactly what people do to make pirated software work. I'll tell you this much, with what I see that you have to disable on your system to get it cracked, it leaves your system wide open to malware/virus/trojan and you name it on the bad stuff. I'd rather pay for quality software and not run the risk, thank you very much.

gregh57

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
given my experience with Win10 on my surface pro 3 (with dock) I'd say win10 needs to make a lot of improvements before it has much success. The current enthusiasm (which I shared) will lessen enormously if the longer term experience is like mine and people move to other systems or just back to 7 or 8.1. Pirates are well safe

patternjake

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Well Windows 10 blocked me from allowing to seed several Linux distributions, all of which are free. Even opening ports in my router and firewall didn't work. I hate it so badly.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well the article said the torrents are blocking WIndows 10 so that wouldn't be MS doing it. MS hasn't blocked me for anything.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
True, Windows 10 does NOT block torrents. More than likely, you'll need to use a different torrent tracker or whatever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon