Prediction: The developers will come for Windows 10

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Today, Yusuf Mehdi, The Corporate Vice President for the Windows and Devices Group at Microsoft, tweeted:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't doubt that more users will be downloading, but the question still remains.. Will developers take the leap :/

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Today, Yusuf Mehdi, The Corporate Vice President for the Windows and Devices Group at Microsoft, tweeted:

The "3 years" part is not in the tweet. He's probably comparing the same time range, the first few weeks since launch.

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how are they define "Download?" Is it user-initiated downloads, like I did when I got the Wunderlist Beta, or does it count upgrades like mail/cal which I "downloaded" a couple times, although I called that updating.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how are they define "Download?"
Obtaining or acquiring a license for an app would be how they have to consider this. They keep up with just a list of what you legally own, if you look at your "purchases" associated with your account. All your apps you have downloaded will appear there, and all free apps will show $0.00 costs.

I have personally obtained 9 new apps for Windows 10, which are apps I wasn't already running on Windows 8 because I hated the full-screen issue. Having them windowed makes them convenient to use for me. I also picked up Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Mobile, which count as 3 more. I'm sure that's what a lot of people are getting as well, and when they search for those, they see other apps that look interesting and download. Win-win.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure that's what a lot of people are getting as well, and when they search for those, they see other apps that look interesting and download. Win-win

Guilty! Another thing I would like to see in the store is the "just updated" section. It was there for a bit then it wasn't, but I really liked it and could see it working as a motivation for devs to push out updates. The first thing I check (or used to check -_-) when downloading apps, are the last updated dates. If a developer updates "regularly" (every two months works for me as well) then I have no problem, supporting them. I tend to avoid apps that haven't seen an update for one year :/ Sometimes I still end up downloading them, just to see if the functionality it has, is worth keeping it or not

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The first thing I check (or used to check -_-) when downloading apps, are the last updated dates.
Guilty of that myself. However, keep in mind that just because an app hasn't been updated recently or often doesn't necessarily mean abandonment or poor quality.

I have a program that I use that hasn't been updated since 2012, yet it is something I use every day and can't live without. It wasn't updated for Windows 10 because it doesn't need to be. Some apps, if written properly to start with, can have the functionality they need up front without bugs, hence they don't need fixing. Unfortunately, that's not usually the case in the Windows Store apps, as many developers are just wanting to give us a bad port from Android or iOS and not at the store ever again. I do think that Microsoft's plan to make the porting easier will help with that particular issue, though, as the ones who at least went to the trouble to port once, will probably port much more often.

harharharris

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
When people get a new OS, they're bound to install more than a few new apps for it. We probably have more must-have apps and an overall userbase today than we did when Windows 8 came out so this is a pointless comparison.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
When people get a new OS, they're bound to install more than a few new apps for it. We probably have more must-have apps and an overall userbase today than we did when Windows 8 came out so this is a pointless comparison.

This is 6X more apps than Windows 8 did in 3 years per device. Those same apps are on Windows 8. They've had 3 years to download them. Why didn't they? What are the must-have apps that were not on 8.1?

I don't see the comparison as pointless at all. Apps are finally popular because they can be run in windows and no longer take over the full screen by force. Developers will notice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes