If the Surface phone is really not coming out until late 2017 or early 2018...

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
...that spells big trouble for WinMobile in my view. I agree that making sure things are right is better than a month or two earlier and wrong. However, I was in my local MSFT store today, and they had exactly 1 phone, which was the Elite X3. Everyone will be happy to know whoever that they had an iPhone 6 in there also so that they could show how MSFT apps worked on iOS.

I love Win10Mobile and want it to catch on and succeed, but they need to generate some buzz. I thought they might have some sort of demo running to show how Continuum worked, to generate some interest but that was not the case. Heck, the monitor to show how Continuum worked with the X3 wasn't even turned on.

Frustrating.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think it can get any worse than it is. Microsoft is demonstrating an attitude of indifference and lack-of-enthusiasm that no hardware can fix. W10M still has weird bugs that have been long-since polished out of the competition and Microsoft's espousing of commitment aren't reassuring to anyone involved from manufacturers to developers.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think it can get any worse than it is. Microsoft is demonstrating an attitude of indifference and lack-of-enthusiasm that no hardware can fix. W10M still has weird bugs that have been long-since polished out of the competition and Microsoft's espousing of commitment aren't reassuring to anyone involved from manufacturers to developers.

Agreed on the bugs for sure. I can't tell you the number of times in recent months I wasn't able to do something simple like check my email or that using the phone app caused the phone to suddenly reboot.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
...that spells big trouble for WinMobile in my view. I agree that making sure things are right is better than a month or two earlier and wrong. However, I was in my local MSFT store today, and they had exactly 1 phone, which was the Elite X3. Everyone will be happy to know whoever that they had an iPhone 6 in there also so that they could show how MSFT apps worked on iOS.

I love Win10Mobile and want it to catch on and succeed, but they need to generate some buzz. I thought they might have some sort of demo running to show how Continuum worked, to generate some interest but that was not the case. Heck, the monitor to show how Continuum worked with the X3 wasn't even turned on.

Frustrating.

What country are you in. Here in Dallas Texas our stores have the demo. No iPhone in our stores.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think W10M is ever going to catch on. After over a dozen Windows Phone over the years, I switched to an iPhone last week. It's so far ahead of Windows Mobile, I don't think I'd ever go back. Microsoft simply missed the boat on mobile and they will never catch up.

The biggest issue is that Microsoft just doesn't care about people who drive cars. Zero functionality for car integration beyond broken Bluetooth audio.

But the more immediate issue that made me switch is AT&T turning off it's 2G network, making my 950 XL useless.

Long story short, I have setup my iPhone as a Microsoft phone, which works much better than any Windows Phone did. Microsoft's own apps work much better on iOS than on Windows.

Dinu Noroc

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't think W10M is ever going to catch on. After over a dozen Windows Phone over the years, I switched to an iPhone last week. It's so far ahead of Windows Mobile, I don't think I'd ever go back. Microsoft simply missed the boat on mobile and they will never catch up.

The biggest issue is that Microsoft just doesn't care about people who drive cars. Zero functionality for car integration beyond broken Bluetooth audio.

But the more immediate issue that made me switch is AT&T turning off it's 2G network, making my 950 XL useless.

Long story short, I have setup my iPhone as a Microsoft phone, which works much better than any Windows Phone did. Microsoft's own apps work much better on iOS than on Windows.

One correction though. MS missed the Smartphone boat. The mobile market is another thing. And with Surface family, they are doing a great job to crate new categories and new markets.

We saw at CES, this year, some Cortana integrations in the cars, and I think there is a future there.

And what about 2G network? Lumia 950XL is more than capable to run on 3G, Unlessyou have a dual sim and require both sim to work on 3G

Alyeldiin

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
It frustrates me that Microsot doesn't care too much about Windows 10 Mobile as they should. I invested so much in the platform and I don't really like the other options that are available to me atm, so I'm kind of stuck with it for now at least. Still, it's just like they don't care. It's all about their business approach now, and sometimes I have the feeling that I should've switched earlier, although I hope feeling is wrong.

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I believe with the release of Bryan Roper was one of many bad moves Microsoft is making. The board of directors of Microsoft have to wake up not only are they loosing good ambassadors for Microsoft, but there is no real excitement happening for windows 10 mobile. The surface pro engineers seem to be the ones who have had lots of success with the Microsoft surface pro series, and maybe they will handle the mobile business. With any organization all the influence comes from the top. If there is no Surface phone released anytime soon, then Microsoft really needs to look at Nadella, and think over does he really have the right vision for Microsoft? From what I have seen Microsoft go through in the last few years I really think Microsoft needs a CEO change.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Good luck attaching a file to an email.

not sure what you mean. I've used BT on my 950xl, Iphone 6, and Galaxy S6 all equally well in my 2016 Malibu. No issues. I do wish we had something like Apple Car Play, but the UI on that is as bad as the UI on Iphone. Android auto was as bad. The only par I'm missing is running Waze on the car, since it is the only app which can handle the LA traffic mess..

Really? I setup OneDrive, OneNote, Word, excel and "Outlook" on both my Iphone and S6. The outlook isn't even a real version and not allowed by our IT. The rest of the apps seem subpar to me.

Sent from mTalk

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Good luck attaching a file to an email.
Agreed - IOS is light years behind the ball when it comes to files, files access and transfer, and sharing.

not sure what you mean. I've used BT on my 950xl, Iphone 6, and Galaxy S6 all equally well in my 2016 Malibu. No issues. I do wish we had something like Apple Car Play, but the UI on that is as bad as the UI on Iphone. Android auto was as bad. The only par I'm missing is running Waze on the car, since it is the only app which can handle the LA traffic mess..
I really have come to like Bing/Cortana mapping far better than the others. I do mildly wish for an interface like Apple Car play but users of it really have so many reasons to dislike it that I'm not sure I want that mess on a windows phone. I use a Lumia Icon on a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid and it works a treat. All the Toyota apps update via the data connection which works great and I get live weather maps where I'm driving as well as Pandora with album art through Bluetooth. I also ran it through my Camry 2012 and it worked great there but that didn't have the nice apps that I have on the RAV.

Really? I setup OneDrive, OneNote, Word, excel and "Outlook" on both my Iphone and S6. The outlook isn't even a real version and not allowed by our IT. The rest of the apps seem subpar to me.
The IOS MS apps aren't as good. They have a couple neat tricks so they are better than other options on IOS but every time I go for IOS I miss Cortana and how well Cortana works across everything finding me stuff, directions, views of places I've never been.

Don't take me wrong here. If Win mobile collapses I would use IOS over Android. And I do agree that the hardware market is a mess and MS blithely thinking they can introduce a Surface/flagship device whenever it suits them is frustrating. But I understand they want the 835 chipset to be the minimum core of the device and frankly those devices are going to take a while. And after the devices get here do you want them to release a buggy first version? We've seen that and it didn't go well. So I'll wait and see. Lumia Icon works - but there is nothing to replace it on VZ if it dies suddenly. That is the fault of MS and HP and others. I do wish, if they were creating things to run virtually on these chips, that they had a mini IOS environment that could run the 1 or 2 IOS apps that I occasionally miss. But I know that's not happening. What I can say is that if Apple cures some of it's gaps, OLED, fast charging, wireless charging, it will only a steeper hill to climb for MS to find a space for their market. The marketshare speaks for itself. When people have devices die they can look over IOS in small, medium and large with "very good" level of quality. I don't think IOS devices are all that perfect after they get a few years old. Or you can go to Android and see a wide range of sizes, chipsets and feature levels. The Icon, despite being an older device still has a competent quad core, fast charging and a good camera and OLED screen. I can compare it to older iPhones without concern. But if it dies I'm going to be looking at what the choices are. Moreover, with Surface Pro I have (finally) a wide assortment of accessories, bags, chargers and complimentary items to go with it. iPhones have that. But with Windows mobile? There isn't much, which is ok, but it weighs on the consumer's mind. A Surface device has a chance to change that image, maybe. I hope it will soon because I use both IOS and Win mobile and for 90% of my use the Win mobile is tons more useful, faster to inform me, and better overall. But an OS has to run on something. And it's hard to overlook the IOS devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon