Are Microsoft and Windows 'Cool' again?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Curious on what the community thinks here. Over the last year or so I've heard a lot of grumblings from some Apple/Mac users, and often I hear that they're considering the switch BACK to Microsoft and Windows. Most friends and colleagues of mine grew up on Windows computers, and some made the switch to Apple years ago... others didn't... but the ones that did, seems a large chunk of them are considering the move back.

Have you heard the same things on your side? Is Windows 'cool' again? Is Microsoft making a comeback? So many questions... :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think with the Surface Studio, people are very impressed. I think they are getting there though, at least with the PC world.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd say no, Microsoft/Windows (excluding Xbox) isn't cool again. IMO, it would be more accurate to say that devices that run Windows are cool again. I think the idea of a "PC" (as opposed to a Mac) as being an inherently bad product has slowly faded. I say this because, despite there being over 400 million Windows 10 devices out in the wild, the Microsoft Store continues to see meager growth. The UWP platform hasn't taken off as many hoped or expected it to. As best I can tell, Windows users aren't as invested in Microsoft's ecosystem to the same degree as Apple/Android users are in their ecosystem.

But Windows devices are wonderful. Cool designs with a plethora of hardware configurations and price points. When you have a standard, run-of-the-mill Apple laptop next to a PC that can switch between a laptop, tablet, tent mode, and space rocket, run-of-the-mill loses its appeal real fast. There's probably a general consensus that Windows 10 won't kill your pet and burn your house, but we're talking about the difference between being "good" and being "cool."

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it's definitely tilting back in that direction. Windows 10, to varying degrees, is breaking down some of the stigma of Windows as the stuffy desktop OS for bank tellers and CPAs.

I think it also helps that Windows is the OS powering interesting, hybrids, convertibles, touch powered devices, etc. These devices feel more modern and cool.

Meanwhile, people are increasingly less happy with Apple laptops. The improvements are too slight, and overall, it just gives the feel that Apple isn't fully committed to Mac.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven