Samsung S8 Microsoft edition

AZTonyUSA

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 "Microsoft edition", phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

I'm with you. Unhappy as well. I'm a long time WP user from back when it was WinMobile. Now using the 950XL. Seems to me MS is doing more for android and iPhone users then it's own users and platform. I hear their apps work more efficiently and smoother on the other platforms, that really irks me. I'm getting tired with the phone freezing up and randomly rebooting for no reason. Edge sucks as well. Ever try to copy and paste something on facebook.com? Good luck with that!!! I'll probably be going to android for my next phone. I'm not holding my breath on a Surface phone coming out any time soon. Like a father would say to his kid when they do something wrong, MS I'm not mad at you, I'm disappointed in you, for not supporting the best OS out there.

WinCoder

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
As a long time developer of Windows Phone apps, this is a bit of a F@¢k you from Microsoft for all my years of support as they repeatedly restarted their efforts.

I would be a little less upset if there were every current model of Windows Mobile device available in any store that carries the competitors devices, but i know that won't be the case.

WinCoder

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I won't use a phone that a ten year old with fifty bucks can get all my data from... Also wont use Google anything because I'd like to be able to decide what i share.

WinCoder

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Imagine if Google was, instead of a huge company, a single person who tracked everything you did, followed you around, tracking everything you did, where you went, who you talked to. There is a term for that... Stalker. I am sure as hell not paying a thousand dollars to get my own stalker.

If you don't believe me, Wireshark your device one day or if you can get one, get a wireless data sniffer from the internet, you'll be surprised what you're sharing

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Imagine if Google was, instead of a huge company, a single person who tracked everything you did, followed you around, tracking everything you did, where you went, who you talked to. There is a term for that... Stalker. I am sure as hell not paying a thousand dollars to get my own stalker.

If you don't believe me, Wireshark your device one day or if you can get one, get a wireless data sniffer from the internet, you'll be surprised what you're sharing

Interesting as this is giving me second thoughts. Are we certain that our W10M phones are much more secure? or is it that we're the 0.01% so nobody is caring to hack us?

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
if you want privacy, get an iPhone. if you want bells and whistles, get an android.
If you want a phone with no future, keep the windows phone.

With a .01% market share, MS is just going to stop spending money on the OS.
Surface Phone isn't real, never will be. Even if it came out tomorrow, it would have No Apps.
99% of windows apps are Terrible web wraps, or are 10% of their iOS and Android versions.
Developers put ZERO effort into their apps and it shows. Even the starbucks app, from a BIG company is Horrible compared to the iOS version.
Even Microsoft Edge is a laughable JOKE of a web browser.
As an iOS and Android users, I can assure you, windows apps (other than cortana) are 10X better than they are on WP.
This new S8 windows edition will likely sell more units in a month than the 950/XL (combined) did since release.

Last edited:

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Would you want a Google edition W10 Phone?? With official google services (YouTube, maps, drive etc..)

... !!

I'm not sure whether your question is served with a pinch of cynicism, but I would answer either way: Yes. The services of the internet are best delivered to everyone in equal measure, or as close as possible

That means that, just as MS give their services to iOS and Android users, Google should deliver their maps services (still superiour to MS maps by the way) to WM users as well as they do to iOS users. The operative word here is should

Mind you that is not the same as asking Apple to add their maps, but that's because they never stepped out of their front yard with it in the first place. Google, however, did

Anthony Fenner

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 "Microsoft edition", phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

You have to follow Microsoft closely when you buy one of their products. They dump projects on the daily. Not to mention that their creativity is well... Boring. Be thankful you're being pushed towards Android. It has the highest sales, meaning that when Microsoft stops updating their apps, you have Google to fall back on.

Anthony Fenner

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft will be missing out on user data collection as all OS' are really a businesses way to understand your interactions, and market to you based on those needs. Not to mention their cut on the entire app store. Most people are already using their apps on Android if they had planned on it, so from my point of view, if they are not coming out with anything new or special, expect sales to be lackluster.

I'll be waiting to hear the specific apps they add to the phone. If I want the experience, I will add them myself to my current Android phone.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I suspect this is nothing more than two tech firms working symbiotically and showing that rival firms don't need to tear each other to death in a courtroom to survive.

Samsung build tablets and laptops that run Windows 10 as a show of support for the Microsoft platform. And Microsoft, in return, develop software that compliments the Samsung mobile ecosystem.

What does this mean for Windows 10 Mobile? God knows. In fact, I don't even think Microsoft has much of a handle on that question.

hdtvchris

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Maybe they are "testing the market". Until MS puts a nail on the mobile coffin, and shuts it down 100% I'm sticking with native Win Phone.

Vishca

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The response to this post has been interesting and has widened my way of viewing the move Microsoft has made. As a software/business move it makes sense, but as many have rightly stated many of the Windows apps were already available to Android and iOS. However I'm still unhappy and feel Microsoft has lost it's way. As silly as it may sound,I feel like ,I've been traded in by Microsoft for an Android user.

Last edited:

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would embrace an Android base so that it can instantly have millions of apps, but put a Really Good Microsoft "skin" on top, and make All Microsoft services Native defaults. Windows mobile OS will always be the best OS there ever was on a phone, but with no apps, it will never go anywhere. Stick a fork in WP, it's done.
Samsung takes Android OS and makes it VERY Samsung with a tizen "skin" and all Samsung apps are defaults even though there are google apps on the phone as well
Microsoft should just run with it but take it a LOT further than a S8 with pre installed MS apps.
blackberry did this, MS should too since WP is dead. There is Not going to be a Surface phone. it will still have NO APPS.
The iPhone with MS apps preinstalled will never happen. With iOS, you can't set native apps like you can on android.
So Cortana, Bing maps etc can be installed, but as soon as you bring up Siri etc. it will always go to Apples native apps. Also, every time you wiped the iPhone and reinstalled the OS, it would just default back to apple and erase the MS apps.
So, embrace what you can and make it your own Microsoft.

This, so much this. No one is asking them to dump Windows. Just make it so that an Android base Windows phone integrates with Windows 10 as seamlessly as possible. Will it kill the MS Store? Not entirely. Just make sure and Android version of the store exists like Samsung has. Or embrace Google Play initially just to get some actual adopters and flip them into the MS Store later somehow.

Does this also undermine the one kernel philosophy? Kinda, but not really. It's pretty clear that Windows as a Phone is toast. Android is the route to go with until they can figure out how they want to cram actual windows into a cellular device. In the meantime that one kernel will be great for everyone with a Surface or Xbox etc.

It just makes sense. They can virtualized Windows as needed.

RMenz

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site

I think it is sacrilege in one way. In a desperate bid to sell and make big sales figures for the apps MS is just letting its rival platform take the cake from its own stores while they enjoy a tiny slice of it. It is also an open admission of defeat of the WM10 platform. Which is withering by the day. Being a former user/ fan of WP8.1 I feel really disappointed to see this. Well MS deserves all the humiliation for not putting enough effort behind the ever evolving touch based mobile world right from the start.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
The response to this post has been interesting and has widened my way of viewing the move Microsoft has made. As a software/business move it makes sense, but as many have rightly stated many of the Windows apps were already available to Android and iOS. However I'm still unhappy and feel Microsoft has lost it's way. As silly as it may sound,I feel like ,I've been traded in by Microsoft for an Android user.

As silly as you sound, you are absolutely right.

I, for one, am worried about taking my next step when buying a phone. If we are going down the Android road, let us make it official the way Blackberry did. Every step has been done so unceremoniously that the user base for WM is now largely divided between the Surface Phone zealots and those who just gave up, simply because no one really knows where MS stand.

If MS decide to take this road, I hope that at the very least, we can retain some features that we may otherwise lose by dropping our Windows phones. Off the top of my head, I would really miss the integration feature it has with Win10 PCs. It's all good and well that you have your apps in other ecosystems, but it would be a shame to have something going for you that you just drop later on.

kapil Matta

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Cheer up folks !

Samsung will bring out a Windows phone soon.
I bet.
There must have been a deal.

Otherwise, why would MS sell a Samsung phone in their stores?

Moreover, Samsung needs MS more than ever before.
It's facing stiff competition in the android market, and needs 'the next big thing'.
So, Cheers !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)