Office 365 worth it over "standard license"?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Been wondering whether it would be worth for me (although in future) to get 365 sub or just get a standard license? The sub seems quite expensive compared to the standard license to me? The sub ends up more expensive in like two years, while the usual license would probably last maaaaany years just fine. So what exactly is the benefit? Especially after recent news about giving all OneDrive users 15GB free, the OneDrive bonus storage isn't really a reason for me. I guess one reason could be to always get the freshest software with the 365 license, but I don't think we'll see a new Office iteration for a few years anyways.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Officer 365 worth it over "standard license"?

The benefit of the subscription is ability to install Office on up to 5 PCs and/or Macs.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

The benefit of the subscription is ability to install Office on up to 5 PCs and/or Macs.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Well that's the more expensive deal, the cheaper one is for 1 PC/Mac + 1 tablet.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Ok. I see no benefit to the cheaper subscription if that's the one you're considering.

I don't really have enough use by myself for the more expensive deal, although I guess I could have like my mom and dad chip in so they would get to use it too, then it would be effectively cheaper.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I don't really have enough use by myself for the more expensive deal, although I guess I could have like my mom and dad chip in so they would get to use it too, then it would be effectively cheaper.

That would be a good idea.

Otherwise, my suggestion would be the digital download license not the subscription.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
re:

Been wondering whether it would be worth for me (although in future) to get 365 sub or just get a standard license? The sub seems quite expensive compared to the standard license to me? The sub ends up more expensive in like two years, while the usual license would probably last maaaaany years just fine. So what exactly is the benefit? Especially after recent news about giving all OneDrive users 15GB free, the OneDrive bonus storage isn't really a reason for me. I guess one reason could be to always get the freshest software with the 365 license, but I don't think we'll see a new Office iteration for a few years anyways.

what is the initial attraction to buying an office suite, instead of downloading one for free ?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
re:

what is the initial attraction to buying an office suite, instead of downloading one for free ?

Are you talking about piracy or using some alternative?

I shouldn't have to get into the first option, but as for alternatives, they are never nearly as good and always have some compatibility issues with existing document templates etc. My line of work sort of has this very formatted/preset template, even the Office web app can't show it properly. I can still work on them with the web apps, but it's annoying when it doesn't work 100%. Then I'm also working on my master's thesis the upcoming year and the formatting of the pages etc has to be exactly there, "close enough" won't do :p Then there's OneDrive integration that is a big thing for me.

Gen Pop 1

May 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

The 365 subscription is pretty good. Ability to open docs online, use on any PC, up to 5 PCs and/or tablets, etc. I wouldn't buy the One PC option, because you can't even transfer it if your PC crashes, I'm pretty sure it is solely for the PC you install on and no others. $10/mo is spendy, and you will definitely pay more. I wouldn't join with someone that is not in the same household unless you are a minor in your parents house. That definitely is not okay with their TOS. Just try it, its free for 30 days i think. Also it sounds like 1TB will be provided for office 365 skydrive accounts so you can back up anything and everything which makes it pretty worth it. I use openoffice on a PC that still has Vista, but I much prefer the MS experience but Office 365 doesn't support Vista.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
re:

Are you talking about piracy or using some alternative?

I shouldn't have to get into the first option, but as for alternatives, they are never nearly as good and always have some compatibility issues with existing document templates etc. My line of work sort of has this very formatted/preset template, even the Office web app can't show it properly. I can still work on them with the web apps, but it's annoying when it doesn't work 100%. Then I'm also working on my master's thesis the upcoming year and the formatting of the pages etc has to be exactly there, "close enough" won't do :p Then there's OneDrive integration that is a big thing for me.

free downloads, not pirating the expensive suites , like I said :thumbup:

I've seen the templates issue you mentioned with Microsoft office, but not with OpenOffice. there are both available at my school, but people tend to gravitate towards OpenOffice there, because there aren't issues with versions or file types of documents. I've done the same.

uploading to a cloud service means logging in and trusting the schools networks to be secure..... which isn't exactly correct... so that is skipped too. I've heard them say "don't login to your Facebook on the lab computers, you'll get hacked" from some of the girls there, and noticed thumb drives being used instead of clouds.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
re:

If you're not really using Office that much, maybe just for basics, I strongly recommend just getting the standard license. It's still gonna do you good for 3 more years or so (at my uni, they're still using 2010).

The 365 subscription is pretty good. Ability to open docs online, use on any PC, up to 5 PCs and/or tablets, etc. I wouldn't buy the One PC option, because you can't even transfer it if your PC crashes, I'm pretty sure it is solely for the PC you install on and no others.

Web Office is part of OneDrive, so even without the subscription you can still use it. And with licenses (either Office or Windows), you can transfer them by calling Microsoft Activation service, they'll transfer the license to the new PC. I have done this a few times now, although there is a maximum license transfer, I just don't know how much.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

If you only have 1 device then I think the full license is much better but if you have a more PCs (up to 5) and tablets at home the 9.99 a month is a great deal.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
re:

If you only have 1 device then I think the full license is much better but if you have a more PCs (up to 5) and tablets at home the 9.99 a month is a great deal.
exactly. But I wanted to add that it is cheaper to go annually than monthly. I picked a year's subscription for $67 on Amazon.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
re:

Not much to add here. If my wife's business grows, I will happily pay for the yearly 365. Right now we have 2 laptops, but if we need more portability and need tablets for her shows, 365 is more then worth it.

There are decent options out there, but there still isn't anything quite like MS Office yet.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

We went for the family pack on 365, I didn't know about the 1tb, maybe that's a new thing and it came out when I was on holiday, but however I missed it, all of a sudden the family pack of Office and Onedrive makes so much sense for us.

I already had bought Office for my laptop (Shame).

We have full and updatable Office on my wife's laptop and Surface2, my Surface Pro, my lads Laptop, my daughters laptop, each of us now have 1tb of Onedrive storage so no more mucking about, everything is going up, music the lot, we can all access this stuff from our phones (And hopefully when I try it, every thing will be gettable on the Xbox One).

I had tried free office suites, but for me Office 365 now makes so much sense. I can remember when Microsoft first came out with the rentable version of Office, I couldn't see it taking off, but now it's very different. Microsoft are starting to get things very right.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxerBoeler