What's the deal with Outlook/Modern app Mail disparity?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am migrating my info to outlook from the modern mail, calendar, and people apps, and I can't help but wonder why two separate software exist: The modern apps all run through outlook, yet they also have features that don't exist in the desktop version of outlook. For example, contacts do not sync with the outlook servers in the desktop app: Contacts must be imported. Also, they don't even sync with each other. If I delete mail in the modern app, idk why it doesn't get deleted in the desktop version. Is there evidence of a merger in Windows 10? Right now I'm not really understanding the point of having both of these Outlook "platforms".

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The modern Mail app is the replacement for Outlook Express. It lacks many features found in Outlook, most notably support for POP3 accounts. It is also definitely consumer-oriented, not Enterprise oriented, especially because of the emojis. Enterprise users typically wouldn't include emojis in their business emails.

I tried the Mail app briefly, just to see what it was like, when I got Windows 8. However, I found it to be lacking, especially due to lack of support for multiple calendars, vcards, POP3 accounts, custom notification settings, meeting invitations. I had an Office 365 subscription anyway, and I've used Outlook ever since Outlook 2003 for personal use (and earlier than that at various jobs), so I quit using the Mail app completely.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I am migrating my info to outlook from the modern mail, calendar, and people apps, and I can't help but wonder why two separate software exist: The modern apps all run through outlook, yet they also have features that don't exist in the desktop version of outlook. For example, contacts do not sync with the outlook servers in the desktop app: Contacts must be imported. Also, they don't even sync with each other. If I delete mail in the modern app, idk why it doesn't get deleted in the desktop version. Is there evidence of a merger in Windows 10? Right now I'm not really understanding the point of having both of these Outlook "platforms".

You can sync contacts with desktop Outlook. I can't remember specifics, but I'm syncing my Hotmail account.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I tried the Mail app briefly, just to see what it was like, when I got Windows 8. However, I found it to be lacking, especially due to lack of support for multiple calendars, vcards, POP3 accounts, custom notification settings, meeting invitations
You should give it another chance :D It's got a lot better. And I still like the clean, modern look to it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You should give it another chance :D It's got a lot better. And I still like the clean, modern look to it.

I have 4 different email accounts and 2 different calendars, so I need something more robust; for instance, I sometimes need to reply to an email using a different address than that which received it. I also don't need Modern, since I use a traditional notebook, not a tablet.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They're separate apps - the Modern ones don't run though Outlook.
​If you connect Mail and Outlook at the same outlook.com account then Contacts, Calendars, Mail stay in sync (via the outlook.com servers). There's no need to import/export anything. It all just happens in the background.
​If you're having "deleted in one but not the other" email issues, it could be you've got Mail or Outlook connecting to an email server with POP (rather than EAS or IMAP etc (which have smarts to keep them in sync - POP is "dumb")).

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It should be able to handle that. But if Outlook works for you, cool.
​For me, I've spent more time rebuilding Outlook profiles than I care to count - multiple accounts/calendars etc and Outlook just seems to give up on me. The Modern apps have been flawless. Even set themselves up when I format a PC and I just have to enter the password for each account.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It should be able to handle that. But if Outlook works for you, cool.
​For me, I've spent more time rebuilding Outlook profiles than I care to count - multiple accounts/calendars etc and Outlook just seems to give up on me. The Modern apps have been flawless. Even set themselves up when I format a PC and I just have to enter the password for each account.
I haven't had any issues since Outlook switched from .pst to .ost in Windows 8/8.1 and Outlook 2013.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I primary use Outlook on my desktop, but I do use Microsoft webmail too, and have to admit I could probably just use webmail. The big webmail improvement for me is being able to drag and drop files just like Outlook. I'm looking forward to see what Microsoft gives us with Windows 10.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I primary use Outlook on my desktop, but I do use Microsoft webmail too, and have to admit I could probably just use webmail. The big webmail improvement for me is being able to drag and drop files just like Outlook. I'm looking forward to see what Microsoft gives us with Windows 10.

Honestly, I'm hoping they combine the modern mail, calendar, and people apps into one universal outlook monster desktop app.

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression *.pst files are still used in Outlook 2013 (on any Windows... 7/8/8.1 etc.). The *.ost file should be a cached copy of what you have on the server. The *.pst file should be an offline copy of what you transferred off the server. So, if you lose the *.ost file, it gets recreated. if you lose the *.pst file, well, you're in a bit more trouble and hopefully you can recover it with the repair tool or have a backup somewhere, because your pst file is generally not on the exchange server.

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Where the disparity is annoying to me is that Office desktop has horribly limited integration with windows 10. No live tiles, notifications are awful, Cortana, etc. I want the innovations of the office mobile apps to come to Office desktop. Continuum should help with that...

I just can't wait for actionable notifications, and *fingers crossed* texting integration from WP10 to Windows 10.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720