Outlook 2016/2013 reconnect email (very confusing!)

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone else get the very confusing email about having to reconnect Outlook 2016/2013 because of the Outlook.com update? Are they talking about only the desktop client or the Outlook App (mobile and PC app)?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got the same email. I believe they are only referring to Office Outlook 2016 and 2013.

Readding my account now.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Yep, the desktop client. I had a bug for a while where I couldn't log desktop Outlook back into my account (man i'm tiring of these updates that break things!) Anyway, that bug appears fixed as I was able to re-connect desktop Outlook.

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I am getting the same Outlook 2016/2013 reconnect email.

Dear Outlook.com customer,

To finalise your upgrade to the new Outlook.com, it’s necessary that you reconnect Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013 to your Outlook.com account. It appears that you have not yet reconnected your account, and as a result, your Outlook.com emails are no longer syncing to your desktop version of Outlook.

What you need to do: Reconnect your desktop version of Outlook to your Outlook.com account to resume access.
You can access step-by-step instructions to reconnect your account at our official Microsoft support website at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=837697.

I follow the instructions provided precisely, and then get the same email again. Repeat...repeat...repeat...

This is getting frustrating!

Any solutions?

Thanks.

htch

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem.. I have been trying to reconnect for 5 days. I have deleted and reconnected over and over again. I have tried contacting Microsoft support for an answer and gave up after 1.5 hours at 12:30am when she told me it was because it wasn't an outlook.com account ???. She said I needed to connect via a server and not via activesync and needed details of the server blah blah blah... it was nothing to do with the upgrade apparently yet it was working perfectly fine 5 days ago and the message keeps telling me to reconnect !!!

My IT guy has no idea whats going on and he says the support person is talking rubbish !

htch

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
So after an afternoon surfing the internet trying to resolve this I read that Microsoft are no longer supporting EAS (Exchange Active Sync) on someones post and therefore you have to manually configure the link providing the server setting etc. So it seems the support worker was somewhat correct but for the wrong reasons or just didn't want to tell me the reasons.

I now have my outlook desktop application working by configuring it using the server settings

As configuring it using POP / IMAP setting

Servers

Incoming mail server : imap-mail.outlook.com Port 993 SSL
Outgoing mail server : smtp-mail.outlook.com Port 587 TSL

I also had to specify my log on details in the outgoing server tab to get the connection to work..

Hope this is of some help to anyone else who is having problems :)

hebert36

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Not having enough knowledge to take the steps to reconfigure a manual connection, if Windows doesn't do something to fix/simplify this situation, I will end up having to use another email program...which I would rather not do. Other commenters are saying they followed the Window's email carefully and their efforts were not successful.

mcstix

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
So is this "reconnect" something we HAVE to do, even if we are mostly just using outlook.com for email rather than the desktop Outlook program? I didn't even know Windows 10 CAME with Outlook program as I've been using outlook.com since getting this new computer and it seems to work just fine for me so do I really need to do this "reconnect"? I agree, it IS a confusing email. Received mine today after trying to "save" a webinar I plan to attend to my "calendar".

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
As important, if not moreso, is the integration/synchronisation of contacts and calendar!

MS need to get this sorted. ASAP.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
In Outllook for desktop I deleted my connected Outlook.com account and re-added it to Outlook 2016.
The account started syncing again in the app and Office Outllook for desktop.

I guess the the new version of Outlook.com disconnected itself from syncing to Outlook 2016.

Pablo Molina2

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Incredible!

It´s like when you say: “Microsoft did it again!”

I had an iPhone and I switched it with a Windows Phone. I thought: “If the iPhone syncs so well with Outlook 2013 imagine Windows Phone!”

Terrible mistake. I didn´t count on Microsoft persistence on always complicating the user (should I say victim) on their senseless effort to FORCE the use of their proprietary Hotmail technology.

I see I lost synch of Outlook 2013 in my desktop with Outlook.com, and now my phone is as it was 20 years ago.

I spent the entire afternoon trying to synchronize the accounts, but all I get it this email “If you’ve been syncing email from your Outlook.com account with the desktop version of Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013, you need to reconnect”.

I created and recreated the Outlook account, but the account alone and with another profile, but it simply won´t synchronize.

Please help.

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
In Outllook for desktop I deleted my connected Outlook.com account and re-added it to Outlook 2016.
The account started syncing again in the app and Office Outllook for desktop.

I guess the the new version of Outlook.com disconnected itself from syncing to Outlook 2016.

It doesn't matter how many times I delete/recreate the connected account - same problem.

MS don't seem to have a clue either! Spent over 90 minutes on the phone, and with a remote connection session. The 'helpdesk' technician didn't know what she was doing. She was drifting around doing all sorts of things but I could have done better myself! Eventually, she just disconnected the session having given up. I saw no point in going back for another 90 minutes.

Not funny, MS.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I had this email as well. However, since everything with my email and calendar was working correctly I never did anything about it. Finally, I decided to contact MS chat and ask them if I really had to do it. They checked my account, found that it had already been transferred or connected and said there was nothing else I had to do. Some of you may be doing more harm than good by following this email without verifying if it is actually necessary for your account. I woud get on with MS chat and have them check for you 1st.

Pablo Molina2

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft forgot to remind the users a very important fact:

The “old” Outlook.com connected manually to eas.outlook.com. To add the account, you needed to configure manually the servers.

The “new” Outlook.com connects with the “auto configure” to the server. No need to setup the server; upon connection, it auto assigns.

Hope this helps.

adrianeaston

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
Just solved this very same issue. The problem is caused by outlook's autodiscover records.

In outlook, remove your outlook.com account.

Go to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook\

Ensure you can see hidden files.

Delete the autodiscover records. (Look like "bunch of numbers_autodiscover.xml")

Follow the steps to re-add your outlook.com account to MS Outlook. It will now work!

-Adrian

I have the same problem.. I have been trying to reconnect for 5 days. I have deleted and reconnected over and over again. I have tried contacting Microsoft support for an answer and gave up after 1.5 hours at 12:30am when she told me it was because it wasn't an outlook.com account ???. She said I needed to connect via a server and not via activesync and needed details of the server blah blah blah... it was nothing to do with the upgrade apparently yet it was working perfectly fine 5 days ago and the message keeps telling me to reconnect !!!

My IT guy has no idea whats going on and he says the support person is talking rubbish !

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
This is really starting to p*ss me off now.

There must be a way to reconnect my outlook.com/MS account to my Office 2016 - I do not have an outlook.com/Hotmail.com/live.com email/username - never have and it's never been a problem until MS decided to play around.

Any clues? I've tried all of the above suggestions as well as the MS email instructions but to no avail.

Help please, before I pull out what little hair I have left!

thunderup

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. So frustrating. I just deleted the autodiscover records hoping it would work...it didn't. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and every time I go to re-add my account I get the message that my Microsoft account needs to be reconnected. It works fine on my two laptops at home, but I cannot get it added back to my desktop at work. At one point I even uninstalled Office 2016, installed Office 2013, added my account and it worked. As soon as I upgraded Office to 2016, thinking an in-place upgrade when it was working would keep the account connected, I got the message to reconnect my account. I have no idea what to try next. I've tried contacting Microsoft support about the issue and they were clueless and they eventually just disconnected the session because they couldn't figure it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786