What do you think about the price?

gemini5150

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Emi, your missing the point. Most people don't care about all that extra stuff & it holds no value to them. The Surface is meant to compete against the Ipad. I'll say it again. It doesn't have the market adoption rate to sell @ or near the market leader. There are no clear benefit to get the Surface(not the Pro) for $50 less, over an already proven & established product with a ton more apps. There has to be a better value proposition to compensate for it's deficiencies.

This is what I think exactly. I see a lot of value in a surface but for the average consumer I don't see them seeing it the same way. All they will hear is no apps. Or way less than apple. All people at the store in best buy will say this and for just $50 more they can get a complete app experience with apple. 50 is not incentive enough to buy this on its own and when factoring in the cover its value is depleted and apple is the clear winner. I don't think ms will learn that price is relative and MS is just not that premium brand at his moment. Its better to take the initial hit now and win the favor with the public and get this in the hands of the masses. I would loved to see a surface 2 with cover for 399.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
they should have dropped it to 399, and Surface Rt as 299. That's the selling point right there. I still need an Xbox one so I'm penny pinching. This is outrageous. Surface is competing with many tablets on the market.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I understand the difference between the RT and Pro but so many wrongs IMO.

- MS isn't apple where is can ride off sheep just by name brand.
- Average consumer sees the Pro as tablet and not an ultrabook.
- The RT confuses average consumers and appears lacking to techies.
- Hard price for consumers to bit with tablets like ipads and Androids having massive appstores.

Myself I would never buy an ipad or a malware infested Droid tablet but average consumers look at things like... OMG this android tablet is $200 and has 10x the apps.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Price is perfect, stop complaining about the damn price. If you want something cheaper go buy a cheap android tablet. The fact that they lowered it by $50 compared to last year is awesome, the fact that you get 200 GB of skydrive plus Skype is another amazing deal, plus Office, plus the superior build quality....It pisses me off that people STILL complain about the price when the fact is that if you compare it to ANY other tablet it, it jut destroys it. Ohhhhhhhh no the lack of Apps, peopel need to also remember that the App store is a year old. Most of the apps are there too. The lack of apps excuse is also getting old.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
funny thing people dont complain about stupid small screen phones being more expensive than $449 but a tablet that would make more than a phone and faster its "too expensive". (we can compare to other tablets prie and features, and we will see its not bad at all)

But lets have a better idea... what about if Microsoft, removes the 200gb skydrive and Skype free stuff offer, then they remove office, and you can enjoy onenote which is the only currect winrt app available. and then reduce the price that way? what do you think about they removed office so you can have a cheaper tablet?
you can always enjoy your beloved desktop apps with the jailbreak, 7zip, dosbox, mame/finalburnalpha, rainmeter, snes9x, filezilla, free download manager, paint.net etc etc... but no office because its useless and worthless so we shouldnt pay for it. and then we can have a cheaper Tablet.
I mean... look at iPad i guess the reason its more expensive that surface rt is for having more apps? but i guess its available to run osx apps as well? what about plug any usb device.... or external monitors with nothing more than getting a cable (no other things needed). but I guess ipad its not expensive since people buy it and apparently its better than surface.
welll they could also make a dumb office versi?n like on Windows Phone and then give the surface cheaper, because who wants a full office suite anyway? like i said maybe it shouldnt have office so it would be cheaper.

Well first, I would never throw down $499 on a phone, let alone more than that. That's just dumb.

Second, put into this perspective. I recently replaced my mom's old Laptop with a pretty decent one, for $550. For that I got her a fully functioning laptop with a good Quad core processor, 500GB of HDD, 8GB of RAM, WIn8 Pro 64bit, 2 usb slots, HDMI, SD slot, and a full keyboard. All for $550. Sure it doesn't have a touch screen, but in no way would I ever said "sure tack on an extra $400" just to add a a touch screen.

With that in mind, I can't see the justification of buying a Surface, when I can get a Laptop for just as much that does all that and more, minus the touch screen.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Price is perfect, stop complaining about the damn price. If you want something cheaper go buy a cheap android tablet. The fact that they lowered it by $50 compared to last year is awesome, the fact that you get 200 GB of skydrive plus Skype is another amazing deal, plus Office, plus the superior build quality....It pisses me off that people STILL complain about the price when the fact is that if you compare it to ANY other tablet it, it jut destroys it. Ohhhhhhhh no the lack of Apps, peopel need to also remember that the App store is a year old. Most of the apps are there too. The lack of apps excuse is also getting old.
200GB SkyDrive is worthless for people who aren't interested in cloud storage. The fact that it is only for "2 years" means that this is only temporary space... and a hidden hook to part the customer with more of their money if they want to that space after the 2 years is up.

Skype is also worthless for those who wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Build quality is indeed outstanding. However, Windows-based devices are a commodity market... price is the top priority for most consumers interested in a Windows-based device. Build quality and engineering is worth something to me and so I appreciate the Surface RT for what it is.

As for the apps, people don't "need to also remember" squat. They simply won't buy a Surface if the apps aren't there. And as much as I believe that the Surface is far superior to iPads and Android tablets in terms of build quality, hardware capabilities, and operating system, there is still a pitifully small number of "quality" apps available.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
200GB SkyDrive is worthless for people who aren't interested in cloud storage. The fact that it is only for "2 years" means that this is only temporary space... and a hidden hook to part the customer with more of their money if they want to that space after the 2 years is up.

Skype is also worthless for those who wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Build quality is indeed outstanding. However, Windows-based devices are a commodity market... price is the top priority for most consumers interested in a Windows-based device. Build quality and engineering is worth something to me and so I appreciate the Surface RT for what it is.

As for the apps, people don't "need to also remember" squat. They simply won't buy a Surface if the apps aren't there. And as much as I believe that the Surface is far superior to iPads and Android tablets in terms of build quality, hardware capabilities, and operating system, there is still a pitifully small number of "quality" apps available.

I think the 200 GB SkyDrive storage for 2 years is actually a great marketing idea. Get consumers hooked on SkyDrive, and then they will have no choice but to pay when the 2 years are up, since they will not have the time or inclination to move all those files to local storage.

As for Skype, I agree. It will be a great deal for some folks, but others will not have any use for it.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Heck, yeah. It's an excellent price. I'm guessing none of you have one. (I don't either) But I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate that I paid over $1000 for and it's worth Every. Freaking. Penny.
This isn't a Nexus, it's not an iPad, it's a Laptop replacement. I'd buy one for that price in a heartbeat.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
When I first saw the price my gut reaction was "too expensive."

Then I saw the presentation by Panos Panay, and man, that guy has a vision for Surface. He convinced me that Microsoft is going to enter round-two with very clear and directed messaging surrounding what Surface 2 is meant to be for people. Note when he said, 'we want to get people to get off their iPads and tablets and be more productive...'

This is NOT a direct competitor to iPad/Android, but a compliment, the "most productive personal tablet you own [among others]"

It sounds as though Microsoft is aiming for current tablet users just as much (if not more) than future ones, they want people with an iPad to also buy a Surface 2. Many iPad/tablet users use their tablets for consumption, but they have a cruddy old PC for Word/Excel and printing, and MS is looking to replace that PC with a Surface 2.

In that context $449 for 'that PC that can also act your tablet' is a great deal. People can be coached into thinking, "hey, I need to replace this 2006 Dell of mine, I still need to print stuff ... hmm ... that Surface 2 looks neat, it has Office, has Kindle, neat!" In that context I think the price point is 'just right.'

Imagine an advert that poses, "need to print? that giant laptop you got five years ago won't cut it? too slow? Wish there was a computer that could act a lot like your iPad/Galaxy? See Surface 2...loaded with insane graphics power, Office, free Xbox Music streaming and 100,000+ apps...and you know what? we'll throw in 200GB of free cloud storage for 2-years! $449."

Last edited:

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Skydrive might be worthless to you but not to me, Skype same thing. The fact that its 2 years is plenty if the 2 years are about to come up it takes NO effort to get a HDD plug it up to the surface drag everything from skydrive and thats it done deal lol.... No one is making you use skydrive.

Again if the price hurts you, dont buy it lol. Go buy a iPad mini or Nexus 7 or some crap OEM Windows Tablet.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the 200 GB SkyDrive storage for 2 years is actually a great marketing idea. Get consumers hooked on SkyDrive, and then they will have no choice but to pay when the 2 years are up, since they will not have the time or inclination to move all those files to local storage.

As for Skype, I agree. It will be a great deal for some folks, but others will not have any use for it.
Lol Just to let you know when your sub is about to end you get an email telling you you have X amount of days left with the cloud, if you dont have the time or inclination to move your own files than thats a personal problem and not Microsofts lol, thats like getting mad that Netflix charged you an extra month because YOU didnt cancel your credit card.

Stop being lazy.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I really want to upgrade. Badly. I bought my RT at launch because I didn't have a portable computing solution, not much else. Now that I'm in school (getting a teaching license, yikes), having that device has really saved my skin more than once. As much as I love it, it needs to be faster.

I'm really praying they introduce some kind of trade-up program--without a job/income, I can't expect to get it, as much as I need/want one.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I really want to upgrade. Badly. I bought my RT at launch because I didn't have a portable computing solution, not much else. Now that I'm in school (getting a teaching license, yikes), having that device has really saved my skin more than once. As much as I love it, it needs to be faster.

I'm really praying they introduce some kind of trade-up program--without a job/income, I can't expect to get it, as much as I need/want one.

Try Craigslist :D

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Too high. If it included the Touch Cover the price would be more manageable, but I'm having a hard time imagining this product selling well. If you want to talk about free Office, free extra Skydrive storage, and free better Skype that's fine, but the general consumer doesn't care about any of that.

I'm assuming they priced it at this point so the possible 8" tablet could be priced at $299, which again is absurd. I love their products, but I think MS might have some real problems on the horizon.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
A bit expensive, but i might end up getting one.

Microsoft and the OEM's need to get competitive with pricing, they also need to put a very compellling set of specifications.

Maybe we need a Nexus 7 or 10 running Windows 8. :p

John Balacano

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I'll Buy this product and its going to be my 1st tablet ever. I didn't buy the 1st gen just because I would like to see how people would react to such product release by Microsoft (sure it is made with a feat of engineering and it shows) but the reaction of people of who owns it are different. on some forums they said that the tegra 3 processor is slowly ageing with that 1st release of surface and now it's tegra 4 and Microsoft promises a better performance. Which would be really nice. and its full HD compared to last year which is just 720p and of course battery life they promised that it would be better and with all those accessories especially the touch cover with battery on it is really exciting so it really is a buy for me :)

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I feel like they should have put the black touch cover with it for $450.

If Nokia's tablet is $500 with LTE and keyboard, no way am I getting the Surface 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers