Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I think Amazon's announcement today shows just how steep of a hill Microsoft has to climb in winning people over to the Surface. The Kindle Fire seems to have finally caught up to the rest of the world, at least spec wise, and fairly or unfairly, Amazon is going to get way more press from their announcement than Microsoft received with theirs. Add to that the cheaper price and I think the Surface 2 may have a tough go going into the holiday season.

P.S. I'm really only comparing the Surface 2 here, not Surface Pro 2 (or whatever it's officially called). It's really its own thing.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    These products are for two different types of users. Productivity Vs. Consumption.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Problem is most users use tablets for consumption.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    I don't see anything overly impressive about a 8.9" device with 16GB of storage for $379 with a variation of android as the OS. I can get so much more for $70 more on Surface 2.

Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    I don't see anything overly impressive about a 8.9" device with 16GB of storage for $379 with a variation of android as the OS. I can get so much more for $70 more on Surface 2.
    My standard response for all competing products now is "Can it play Halo?"

Not interested until someone says yes.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    My standard response for all competing products now is "Can it play Halo?"

Not interested until someone says yes.
    You're kidding right?
    FinancialP likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianLTE View Post
    These products are for two different types of users. Productivity Vs. Consumption.
    I would actually argue that this is trying to hit the same market as the iPad. Surface is not one or the other, but a bit of both. It is light, portable, has good battery life, etc, so it is a capable consumption device, but it then also doubles up as a light productivity solution, which really is all most people need. So it is an iPad competitor that wants to end up being the only machine most people need, and also a bit of a Trojan horse for Microsoft's services as well.

Global Posts
    32,314 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Does Surface 2 have an Amazon Prime app?

I could see a lot of people who subscribe to Amazon Prime wanting a device where they can stream their Amazon Prime content.
    snowmutt and FinancialP like this.
    Could this be why we didn't hear about the 8" Surface? Waiting to see where the Amazon price point lands and then price accordingly. I realize a mini-Surface won't be as cheap as a Kindle Fire because it is subsidized but maybe they wanted to try and be competitive.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post

I could see a lot of people who subscribe to Amazon Prime wanting a device where they can stream their Amazon Prime content.
    There is no app at present. But you can watch Amazon Prime instant video on a Surface if you've done the Flash for ARM update. So they can see their movies and still get more with Surface.
    Laura Knotek and Gergolos like this.

I can play Amazon Prime videos in IE 11 (metro). I assume it should work on a Surface 2 as well?

I used to have a Kindle Fire HD. It was a piece of junk because without access to Google Play, many apps were nowhere to be found and often times in the Amazon store they were outdated. Plus there were no docks available for it and while it could sit in a case with a stand, it was landscape only and many apps would only display in portrait orientation. I finally got fed up with it and sold it on eBay.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Only Mama Knows View Post
    You're kidding right?

Why would i be kidding? How long have other OS's had the "you don't have that app" excuse as a reason not to buy an MS product. For me as a gamer halo is "that app"

Global Posts
    32,314 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    There is no app at present. But you can watch Amazon Prime instant video on a Surface if you've done the Flash for ARM update. So they can see their movies and still get more with Surface.
    How about Amazon Cloud Music Player? Will that work on Surface?
    stmav likes this.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

I believe you also can download Prime videos for offline viewing now.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

I'm also able to play the music in IE 11 as well. Sure, there is no separate app for Amazon Prime or Amazon Cloud Music Player, but if the content works fine in the browser, is it really necessary?
    Laura Knotek and Gergolos like this.

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maaz Mansori View Post
    I can play Amazon Prime videos in IE 11 (metro). I assume it should work on a Surface 2 as well?

I used to have a Kindle Fire HD. It was a piece of junk because without access to Google Play, many apps were nowhere to be found and often times in the Amazon store they were outdated. Plus there were no docks available for it and while it could sit in a case with a stand, it was landscape only and many apps would only display in portrait orientation. I finally got fed up with it and sold it on eBay.
    I still have my Kindle Fire HD. After rooting it and installing Google Play, I find it to be a high quality Android tablet. Screen quality and performance are far better than my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and on par if not better than the Nexus 7 (1st gen). But I realize that not everyone can do that.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    928 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbilly70 View Post
    I believe you also can download Prime videos for offline viewing now.
    Unless something has changed, that ability is extremely limited. I have also found the Amazon Unbox app for
    Windows 8 to be barely functional. Throw in the fact that it only works for purchased videos, not rentals, and that makes it even less useful.

Global Posts
    928 Global Posts
    If it requires a stand alone app, Amazon has only done those for their store and Kindle. If it can be accessed through a web interface then it will work through IE 11 on a RT device.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Still getting a Surface 2 lol.
    snowmutt likes this.
    Me too, but Microsoft is still going to have a hard time convincing people they need this over the many other tablets out there, especially with the negative image Windows 8 has

Global Posts
    928 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Only Mama Knows View Post
    I think Amazon's announcement today shows just how steep of a hill Microsoft has to climb in winning people over to the Surface. The Kindle Fire seems to have finally caught up to the rest of the world, at least spec wise, and fairly or unfairly, Amazon is going to get way more press from their announcement than Microsoft received with theirs. Add to that the cheaper price and I think the Surface 2 may have a tough go going into the holiday season.

P.S. I'm really only comparing the Surface 2 here, not Surface Pro 2 (or whatever it's officially called). It's really its own thing.
    Amazon is competing with Google and Apple for sales of media consumption devices. Unless some new marketing was released this afternoon, they still stress that in every way possible. I also don't get why people have to insist X or Y is stealing the other's thunder since 1) they are not even competing for the same market and 2) it is the time of year that everyone announces the products they intend to push for the holiday season. Was Microsoft stealing Apple's thunder by announcing the Surface products the week after IOS 7? Same goes for the impending new Nokia products. Quite frankly, the only company that comes off like they are in a perpetual amateur hour is Blackberry, screwing up the BBM release and announcing the Z30 with no fanfare in Indonesia. I expect every major player to be announcing all of their anchor products in the next few weeks. When should they otherwise announce them - February?
    Laura Knotek likes this.

In this part of the world, I can get an Android tablet for like $50. If a device runs Android, I am not willing to pay more than $150 which is the most expensive Android tablet I bought (the Asus MemoPAD) which I gave my girlfriend.
    Those are unreasonable expectations for a high quality device. The parts alone in a high end tablet cost more than that, not to mention assembly, shipping, etc.

This is the same problem that we had with netbooks. Cheap, crappy computers created unrealistic expectations and forever hurt the PC market in the end
    Funky Cricket likes this.

PIN
    No

The Amazon services integration is indeed a great leverage point for the Kindle, however, despite me having a Prime membership, I'm still going with the Pro. It's capable of so much more, including streaming Prime the old fashioned way (via the browser). Is it the same as a built in app? Unfortunately, no, and I still miss out on downloading the videos offline, but I think the Pro is worth that sacrifice.

Watch this video.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast