"Magnets" on the covers

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I had a look at Surface RT in Currys PC World today whilst researching Surface 2, and whilst playing with the touch and type covers couldn't help but notice that the magnets aren't very...magnetic...

Yes, they work to turn the screen off etc, but it seems like the magnets aren't sufficient to keep the cover "attached" to the screen - i.e. If you hold the surface with the screen and cover slightly facing the floor, the cover will just drop open.

Is this normal, or just an oddity of the particular demo units in store? I was expecting stronger magnets that actually held the cover to the screen like the iPad smart cover?

Andrew

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
That's normal. The keyboards don't have any mechanism to keep them shut, but I don't really see that as a problem. What's the advantage of that? If you're holding it with the keyboard closed, isn't your hand going to keep it shut? I'm just not sure I see the point.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's normal. The keyboards don't have any mechanism to keep them shut, but I don't really see that as a problem. What's the advantage of that? If you're holding it with the keyboard closed, isn't your hand going to keep it shut? I'm just not sure I see the point.

It just seems odd to me, it seems logical that they would hold themselves closed.

In normal use I doubt it would be a problem, but I'm thinking for example if you drop it, then the case will fly open leaving just the glass to take the hit, whereas if it kept itself closed the case would take the first hit...

LawnPaul

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there are magnets at the top of the cover to keep it closed, only at the connection point.

Sent from my L920 using Tapatalk

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there are magnets at the top of the cover to keep it closed, only at the connection point.

Sent from my L920 using Tapatalk

I second this... no magnets except at the connection point. Surely apple patented their smart cover so that Microsoft can't use magnets to hold it shut or turn the screen on/off. On my surface rt I find getting the screen on takes several tries

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think Apple patented such an idea (and honestly, why wouldn't they? You must admit it was rather clever). And because of that, Microsoft can't use it. I don't even think there are magnets in the Covers (besides the ones that attach it to the Surface, of course). I have yet to use a Surface or Surface Cover, aside from minimal use at the Microsoft Store, but I think it notifies the SUrface to wake up or sleep is by the built in accelerometer, and not magnets (that's also how it knows if you put the Cover underneath the Surface, so it can ignore keyboard input).

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm with you. In what scenario would I ever be holding the surface (and not using it) and not hold the keyboard closed against it? In what scenario would it just be flopping all over the place? I see absolutely no reason to have a magnet, in fact I'm fairly certain the reason the other covers have magnets is so that they turn on when opened, not to hold them closed. But my Surface RT already does that with the proximity sensor. So what am I missing?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The magnet is used to secure the connector, not the keyboard.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The magnet is used to secure the connector, not the keyboard.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

I know the magnet is used to secure the keyboard.

I'm questioning why there isn't something to keep the cover closed... If its really the proximity sensor that turns the screen on/off then I understand why it seems there aren't any magnets...

And like I said before, half the purpose of having a cover is to protect the device, which the touch / type covers won't do if you drop it because they'll just fly open. It won't stop me buying one, just seems like a bit of an oversight...

If Apple have patented it fair enough, but cross licensing deals happen all the time... And if I recall correctly, isn't the magnetic power connector actually Microsoft's patent?

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I know the magnet is used to secure the keyboard.

I'm questioning why there isn't something to keep the cover closed... If its really the proximity sensor that turns the screen on/off then I understand why it seems there aren't any magnets...

And like I said before, half the purpose of having a cover is to protect the device, which the touch / type covers won't do if you drop it because they'll just fly open. It won't stop me buying one, just seems like a bit of an oversight...

If Apple have patented it fair enough, but cross licensing deals happen all the time... And if I recall correctly, isn't the magnetic power connector actually Microsoft's patent?

A cover wont help a tablet survive a drop, even ipads with smart cover. a friend of mine dropped his ipad with smart cover it bumped on one corner and screen shattered and that implies for every tablet. it will only help prevent scratches

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I see your point and there are always vulnerabilities, however a case will protect from a flat-face fall onto an uneven surface (i.e. The glass falls flat into the ground) which is what cracked my lumia 920's glass at a cost of ?165. Realistically its not that big a deal, I'm just surprised nobody else seems to think the same.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
A cover wont help a tablet survive a drop, even ipads with smart cover. a friend of mine dropped his ipad with smart cover it bumped on one corner and screen shattered and that implies for every tablet. it will only help prevent scratches

This is so true. IPas are incredibly fragile. My original one had to be replaced because it got a dent in the edge right at the exact spot where the volume button is, and the button no longer worked. I was told it was likely from putting it unprotected in my bag, bad that this happened frequently! The replacement now has two fairly significant dents and a large scratch in the screen, and at most, I've lightly knocked it on the edge a table. My Surface on the other hand, slipped out of my hands and dropped from several feet, hitting the edge of our brick fireplace. It was completely unprotected and the only damage is that it has two very small nicks in the bezel plus a tiny little hairline crack in the bezel. If you didn't know to look for that little crack you probably wouldn't notice it.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
So far my Surface has been dropped onto: my concrete basement floor, my asphalt driveway, a concrete warehouse floor and tile. Some of those multiple times. The thing has no cracks on the screen and still works perfectly. Sure, it's dented up a bit and the paint is scratched off in a number of places, but Surface RT has proven itself to be an absolute tank.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well there's two very encouraging stories, thanks!

Maybe stop dropping them so frequently though :p

Ha ha, my thoughts exactly. But with my history of broken Lumias, it's very reassuring. I'll still handle it with the up most care and buy the insurance, but still.

This also helps point out more bias from iCNET, because they said the Surface was one of the most fragile devices they torture tested. I never watched the actual test, but it supposedly involved using the kick stand as a foot rest. :p

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Their test is completely unreasonable in terms of representing realistic scenarios but it does not appear to be mean-spirited or intended to be taken seriously.

Torture testing the Microsoft Surface tablet | CNET TV | Video Product Reviews, CNET Podcasts, Tech Shows, Live CNET Video

True, the wine test of the Lumia 1020, or even using the iPhone 5 as a hokey puck on a playground.

Tests like a simple drop from shoulder height on to concrete would suffice.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I don't trust anything Cnet has to say... I don't want to even know why theyre testing a phone that doesn't make any vague claim to be waterproof....against wine...

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I just tested out of curiosity and the Type Cover actually is magnetic, but I don't think it's for any particular reason. Not sure about the Type Cover though.

David Blink

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I think you'll find the Surface survives drops better than an iPad. Way better. We have 40 of them at our school--terrazzo floors (stone)--and no problems to date, knock wood.

As for the "magnets to keep it closed" . . . pointless, in my view. So much nicer to just set the device down, and in one quick motion lift/snap-kickstand-into-place and get to work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss